Hendricks DC30B

My DC30B arrived yesterday.

It turned up in a tiny box. Took about 1.5 hours to build. This was extended somewhat when it did not work on switch on. I eventually tracked this down to a manufacturing fault on the PCB (which I have reported to Hendricks).

Anyway, now it is working. First impressions are that the RX performance is a bit disappointing. Broadcast breakthrough is strong this evening although I can hear CW signals through it. Power output is surprisingly high at over 1 Watt - excessive for the tiny FET PA I would have thought.

I squeezed in a toggle switch and thus I have two frequencies (10.116 and 10.110).

Expect an activation on 10MHz sometime soon.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI: I fancy having a go at one of those. Richard, did you get clobbered for VAT and a hefty collection fee for this kit? I’ve just been stung ordering a part for my Elecraft K3 and I’m a bit wary of ordering from the States now because something inexpensive ends up costing double what you expected.

In reply to G4ILO:

Julian

No, there was no VAT or additional charge. It may be below the limit perhaps?

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI: Thanks. I’ve ordered one. :slight_smile:

I will be QRV on SP-004 around 1530z today 10.1153/10.110 - no QSY - crystal control.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G4ILO:

I’ve ordered one. :slight_smile:

Julian

I would revise your post as follows:

I’ve ordered one. :frowning:

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI: Oh dear. :frowning: What was the problem? Not enough power? Poor RX? The fact that it is rockbound?

In reply to G4ILO:

What was the problem? Not enough power?
Poor RX? The fact that it is rockbound?

Julian

Poor RX is the main problem - you may get away with it in the morning though, before the BC interference is too bad. 1 Watt is fine most of the time on HF CW with a good antenna (i.e. a full size dipole at 5m or so). Rockbound is a minor inconvenience - I added another “channel” with a switched inductor in series with the crystal.

I think that you will be disappointed if you intend using it for WOTA (or even SOTA).

Richard
G3CWI