Hello

Hi,

Thought I would say hello and introduce myself.

Have been licenced since the mid 1980’s and keen on both hf and various digi-modes, but I need to perhaps loose a few pounds and hopefully the SOTA programme will give me the incentive to get off the sofa and enjoy another aspect of our hobby.

I am also looking forward to getting to know some of you…and no doubt ask a few silly questions. Home is central UK, Stoke on Trent.

ps. Which summits have an oxygen cylinder?

73’s

John
G1STQ

In reply to G1STQ:
Welcome John. I’m sure you will have fun and you have some fine summits near you.

ps. Which summits have an oxygen cylinder?

My local SOTA summit has a cafe on top that serves toasted sandwiches, large slices of chocolate cake etc all washed down with coffee or hot chocolate. Who needs oxygen? :slight_smile:

73 Marc G0AZS

PS I guess that’s why I’m a Southern Shandy Drinker… :slight_smile:

In reply to G0AZS:
…very civilised darn Sarf

In reply to G1STQ:
Your close to Gun and The Cloud, these are two easy summits to activate. Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:

In reply to G1STQ:
Your close to Gun and The Cloud, these are two easy summits to
activate.

…not today they aren’t!

In reply to G1STQ:

Hi John!

What about radio direction finding (a.k.a. “fox hunting”)? :-))) Running across hills and valleys, meadows and forest with radio and antenna in hand? :-)))

73: Joska

… I need to perhaps loose a few pounds and hopefully the
SOTA programme will give me the incentive to get off the
sofa and enjoy another aspect of our hobby.

Three hours to drive to work in heavy snow today, didn’t do The Cloud on the way! Can’t see me heading up there tonight for the 2m contest either!

Snowy activations are great fun, but it seems at the minute the the snow is too heavy to drive to the access points, or if you do, too heavy to walk to the summit!

Mananged to get to Gun on Sunday, but wouldn’t fancy trying it today.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G0AZS:

Dear Marc!

Lay your hand on your heart, please, and confess us frankly, whether you visit that summit for the sake of enjoyment of fine drinks, sandwiches and candies available in that café and SOTA activation is merely an alibi for snacking, nibbling? :-)))

73: Joska, HA5CW
P.s.: In my region HA/KM-021 is similar. There is a fine restaurant about 100m away and 10 meters below the summit providing excellent panorama of Budapest. HA7UL activated it today. Maybe he is just sitting there, as he is not QRV at any band now. :slight_smile:

My local SOTA summit has a cafe on top that serves toasted sandwiches,
large slices of chocolate cake etc. all washed down with coffee or hot
chocolate. … :slight_smile:

The highest hill in Menorca has a stunning view. We were there last year, and it would have been a great spot from which to do EA6 SOTA. There was a nice restaurant on that summit too.

Catering on the summit - I can think of Wendover Woods G/CE-005 (as mentioned), Crowborough G/SE-007 (pub), Great Orme GW/NW-070 (Randolph Turpin’s Bar & Summit Complex Cafe), Snowdon GW/NW-001 (anyone tried the new summit cafe yet?) and Leith Hill G/SE-002 (snack bar at the base of the folly).

I imagine there are very many more examples in mainland Europe.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to HA5CW:

Dear Marc!
Lay your hand on your heart, please, and confess us frankly, whether
you visit that summit for the sake of enjoyment of fine drinks,
sandwiches and candies available in that café and SOTA activation is
merely an alibi for snacking, nibbling? :-)))

Hi Joska

I have to be honest and say that, although I often visit the cafe when walking in The Woods with my family, I do not normally go there on SOTA activations. Especially as I often operate in AZ locations further from the cafe area.

On the topic of SOTA summits with catering, I wonder if Galdhopiggen LA/OL-001 is one of the highest with a cafe? I have been to the summit in the past before my SOTA days but Dan DH8DX did activate it in 2008 so maybe he can comment on what tasty food is now on offer at 2469m. :slight_smile:

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:

I seem to remember a large complex with cafe etc on the summit of the Zugspitze (highest point in Germany) & don`t forget the AZ in the DL association is +/- 100m from the summit which is 2962m. We used to get our passports stamped up there years ago for the novelty value.

In reply to G0AZS: I wonder if Galdhopiggen LA/OL-001 is one of the highest with a cafe?

in austria the mountain “hoher sonnblick” (OE/KT-012) is 3106m high and has a hut and an observatory close to the summit. although i think it’s not as comfortable up there to call it “cafe” but you can get something to eat and drink in the hut. the website of the hut is: http://zittelhaus.rauris.net/

the summit has never been activated and it is definately on my “TO DO LIST” … but i don’t know when!!? i’m sure there are other summits over 3000m in austria and also in switzerland with a cafe/hut up on the summit.

vy73 de martin
http://www.oe5reo.at