GW/SW-009 Beacon Hill Sincere Apologies for abrup

We did wonder where Rod had gone, but we did hear something about an antenna being packed away.

Beacon Hill is GW/MW-009 (Not GW/SW-009).

Stewart G0LGS
(Still wondering after many years why so many people spell my name wrong - even when responding to an email I sent with it spelt correctly).

In reply to M6BWA:

A very interesting report Viki, particularly as I ascended these two summits from entirely different start points. For Great Rhos I used the route suggested by John GW4BVE (Summitsbase) from the NW and I used the G4ERP route to Beacon Hill. The latter may seem longer than the route from Dutlas, but it only took 30 minutes to get back to the car - valuable as I too was being chased by the dusk. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G0LGS:
(Still wondering after many years why so many people spell my name wrong…

Maybe because you abbreviate it to “Stu” sometimes (as opposed to “Stew”)?

Tom M1EYP (also used to having people spell my name wrong)

In reply to M1EYP:
How do you spell Tom wrongly?
Rod, normally called Rob on air

In reply to M0JLA:

How do you spell Tom wrongly?

T-O-M-W-R-O-N-G-L-Y

But I think you’ll find it’s the other bit people spell incorrectly.

Read
Reid
Reed

I can understand Stewart’s complaint. I know both Stewarts and Stuarts and have to check his email before I reply. However, there’s only one way to pronounce Stewart so you don’t have to worry about them getting that wrong.

Raymond Luxury Yacht
MM0FMF

In reply to Raymond Luxury Yacht (pronounced ‘Andy’):

Spot on. But you forgot Reade and Reede which I also get as well as those you mentioned.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
You’d be suprised how many people cannot spell Jonh.

I mean John :slight_smile:

In reply to G1STQ:

Hmmm how off topic can we get? Anyway to perpetuate the issue as we sit in front of our keyboards suffering from acute shack fever, my problem is transposing letters as I type. One keyboard command I regularly use in my work is “Change” which invariably comes out as chnage, just as I have sometimes logged Stewart as Stewrat - apologies for that! Even reading across what I have written sometimes does not highlight the problem as I read across it. I am sure some of you have read this before:

Aoccdrnig to rsceearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

73, Gerlad, G4OIG

And that is the very one that gets me every time. Virtually every time I type your name in an activation report, reflector thread or in my log, it first appears (before correction) as Gerlad. Uncanny.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Don’t worry Tom, I often type it that way… and it’s my name!!!

In reply to M6BWA:

I’m surprised there hasn’t been a comment on my interesting title
which was typed into the box provided as … ‘Sincere Apologies for
the abrupt end’ but The System decided this was too long for the space
allotted and brought it an even more abrupt end!

Hi Viki,

At the risk of starting a long an rancorous thread, almost as exasperating as the 60 character limit “comment” box on the alerts. The times I’m one or two characters over the limit, beggars belief.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Given you can write a meaningful English sentence using all 26 characters of the alphabet in 26 characters I fail to see why 60 is a limitation for an alert comment. You’re not trying Mike.

e.g.

Cwm fjord bank glyphs vext quiz.
Squdgy fez, blank jimp crwth vox!
New job: fix Mr. Gluck’s hazy TV, PDQ!

I’m sure you can summarise Proust’s A La Recherche Du Temps Perdu in 60 chars

“Er, well, Swann, Swann, there’s this house…”

:slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Given you can write a meaningful English sentence using all 26
characters of the alphabet in 26 characters I fail to see why 60 is a
limitation for an alert comment. You’re not trying Mike.

e.g.

Cwm fjord bank glyphs vext quiz.
Squdgy fez, blank jimp crwth vox!
New job: fix Mr. Gluck’s hazy TV, PDQ!

All of which seem to have very little to do with activation alerts, Andy :slight_smile:

Of course, YMMV…

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to M6BWA:

Does no-one want to comment on the effect of long white plastic poles on excitable cattle?

Hi Viki,

I suppose the first question is were they cows or bullocks? In my experience, bullocks are generally more inquisitive and frisky and may present themselves in a group, a bit like teenage gangs. Your description of prancing cows may suggest the ones you came across were bullocks. Cows are usually fairly calm except when with calves and contact in those situations is best avoided if possible. Usually the matriarch of the herd will present herself. A calm retreat while maintaining eye contact is the best way of avoiding an awkward situation.

I can’t say I’ve ever had any problem on account of the poles on my backpack. What is interesting is that the encounters I’ve had are usually on the ascent to the summit - on the way back to the car I am generally ignored.

73, Gerald G4OIG