GW/SW-006 (Fan Gyhirych)

I intend to activate GW/SW-006 (Fan Gyhirych)on Tuesday Nov 20th - we spent some time this afternoon taking a look from the roadside and although it is covered in snow at the summit, providing we don’t get any further snowfall overnight, it looks do-able! Obviously this is WX permitting!

In reply to M0ZLB:

Hi David,

I see that you had a successful day up on SW-006 - congratulations. You must be one of the quickest off the mark in terms of points after just two summits. I wonder where next.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get out portable to try to work you as I had meetings today, so I wonder how you found the ascent. I can’t imagine the weather was that pleasant and if you ascended from the west, then it was a real achievement. I think I will be looking to tie it in with Fan Nedd this winter and attack it from the east subject to access being available.

73, Gerald

Hi Gerald,

The ascent was from the East straight up from the layby. The cloud was only covering the summit when we started. It was a steep climb, much better than Pen Y Fan (in my opinion)and the summit was rather boggy to say the least! On one occasion, the sun broke through to give a fantastic view down into the valley but that was the only break.

The descent was in total cloud and included much checking of GPS against map! In the end we arrived back at the road side only 100 yards or so away from where we started!

A burger van had parked up in our layby and had seen us start the ascent and he said that he was going to give us another hour before calling mountain rescue due to the “White Out” conditions - he did say that he had noticed that we appeared to have been properly kitted out but it was nice to have someone watch out for us!

Next stop will be Fan Nedd (SW-007) but that will have to wait until late January as I am off to the US in a few days for Xmas and New Year once I get back from the Brecons this afternoon!

David

In reply to M0ZLB:

“A burger van had parked up in our layby and had seen us start the ascent and he said that he was going to give us another hour before calling mountain rescue due to the “White Out” conditions - he did say that he had noticed that we appeared to have been properly kitted out but it was nice to have someone watch out for us!”

Yes, a very considerate and caring individual. Of course he wouldn’t know that you’d be spending time on the summit activating and so probably thought your return was getting overdue.

Hopefully will be able to look for you when you are on Fan Nedd. Have a good time in the States.

73, Gerald