GW/NW-076 Mynydd y Cwm, Quick Report

Once again, work sent me into North Wales today, giving me an ideal chance to activate a summit on the return journey. Gt. Orme would have been my first choice, however, maybe not a good time right now, so GW/NW-076 Mynydd y Cwm, it was. On arriving at the parking spot, first headache, no HF antenna, I’d forgot to put the fishing pole in the boot …Doh!

As Mynydd y Cwm is hardly the best summit in the world for VHF, this activation looked like ending much sooner than planned. I spent just over 40 minutes on VHF, working up as far as Frizington in Cumbria, before tipping the rucksack out to see if an HF antenna could be cobbled together.

An antenna was hastily knocked up, using some spare counterpoise wires which were stuffed in the rucksack and I was back in business.

The 15 Metre band didn’t prove too profitable, however, once spotted on 20m every man and his dog called in. A real monster pile-up followed, with nearly 100 stations worked, even SOTA chaser KK1W Jim, in MA making the trip on my bit of wire.

Looks like the “Q” chasers as well as the SOTA chasers were out in force, today.

So, what looked like being a very quick activation ended up with 150 contacts. Yet another shed load to log into the database for nul points :slight_smile:

Thanks to all the chasers for taking the time to call in, very enjoyable days radio.

73 MIke
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
thanks mike for the points,
once again another summit from you, well done enjoy the hobby.
mark.

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Thanks for the contact Mike, you had one heck of a pile up!
Roger MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX:

Thanks for the contact Mike, you had one heck of a pile up!

It was a corker, Roger!

Great to work you and thanks for the spot.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
I hoped in vain for a 7MHz contact, Mickey and was scouring the band for triple yankee often during the afternoon. No matter. It is the lot of activators to put themselves under pressure by forgetting some part of the station or other! It sounds like you improvised well. Just a pity I couldn’t hear you on any of the bands 80 miles away.
Cheers
David

In reply to M0YDH:

Sorry I missed you David. Can’t work your part of the world on VHF FM vertical from this summit.

Did manage to work a few 40m chasers, but not too many.

Hopefully, catch you from the next one.

73 Mike
2E0YYY