GW/NW-046 A Lonely Place

Thought I’d try a new hill (to me) so went for NW-046 as it seemed not too far from home.

Filled up the Landy and about 21/2 hours later arrived at the narrow lane leading towards the start of the footpath. At least I had a map with me this time!

The lane soon turned into a rough track - great fun in my old Landy, but care should be taken if trying this with a normal car. The heavy rain has made huge puddles and lots of mud, so I did enjoy myself in 4x4 mode.

Parked up and booted myself ready for the walk. I have taken notice of previous advice and decided to wear just my new baselayer top, with my jacket to see how I got on. Result: Much better in terms of sweating and a micro-fleece for the summit proved more than adequate today. (It was warm however). Still - lesson now learned…don’t wear too much clothing on the way up :slight_smile:

Steeper than I was expecting, especially through the woods. Very difficult walking as very loose surface too - got me puffing and panting a bit! Things got a little better once out on the open fell, but once again, the path is full of heather covered ankle-snapping holes. Care is needed all the way to the top. Boggy up here too. A lonely trig point found in low cloud. Have not seen anyone else…

Qualified on 2m ssb and had a little try on 2m fm - but trade very sparce today. Thanks to everyone who chased me today.

The walk down is not much easier, bearing in mind how easy it would be to break/strain my ankle or something. That would really upset the day as I’m on my own. Back into the dark, wooded section and I’m sure this wood has eyes.

Not nice.

Still, after my lunch I have the pleasure of engaging the low box for a bit of fun back to the road.

A very lonely place this part of Wales felt today. A fresh cup of tea at the reservoir made everything better.

Thanks for a good days radio. Only used 7 gallons of fuel!

John

In reply to G1STQ:

The lane soon turned into a rough track - great fun in my old Landy, but care
should be taken if trying this with a normal car. The heavy rain has made huge
puddles and lots of mud, so I did enjoy myself in 4x4 mode.

Hi John! Yes, it is fun … I have a Landy Defender and sometimes have enjoyed similar excursions en route to the parking spot. However, I often feel a bit uneasy with the thought of getting bogged down or breaking down whilst alone and “off road”. What does one do in such circumstances? Broken down or stuck in a ditch and a mile or more from the nearest metalled road! The standard breakdown services might be unwilling to attend.

Hmmm …

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

In hindsight I have similar reservations about the access to this summit Walt. I must have been crazy back in January 2007 when I drove the track in my Audi A6 on a wet day, but I must say the going was relatively easy. From what I’ve heard, it seems that the track may be in worse condition than it was six years ago.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G3NYY:
(Carefully putting my GOM hat firmly in place) I first activated Gw/NW-046 in 2004 (as MW0DFA/P on 2M) and the road up from the B4396 at SJ044201 was quite good (no potholes, gullies etc). When I was last up there in 2011 (GW6DTN/P on hf) it had deteriorated to the point where I wondered if it was wise to continue (in a Honda CR/V). The activities of the 4WD brigade (‘great fun’ ‘enjoy myself in 4X4 mode’) will continue to reduce this road to the point where it becomes a no-go route for all except 4WD.

As an aside, does anyone know of an alternative route onto this summit?

Regards, Dave, G6DTN.

In reply to G4OIG:
I drove up from the SW end a week ago. Very wet and muddy, with a big ‘lake’ just after the last house. Parked carefully at the forestry gate at approx SJ 053 024. I reversed in to keep the driving wheels of the car on firm ground. Walked up the rest of the track before forking left steeply up hill on the path. Biggest problem for me was all the low tree branches trying to trap the antennas and mast on my back.

Road was bad, but I’ve driven up worse.

I have a sporty (ie low) Ford Modeo estate.

WX was awful on the top, but I thought it was quite a nice little summit. Definately feels a bit out of the way for Wales though. I’ll be back at some stage, hopefully on a better WX day.

Gerald
2W0GDA

In reply to M0DFA:
Looking at the OS map and aerial photography the route in from the north looks good. But don’t know about parking. I might try it next time and report back.

Start on the minor road at SJ 059 226 approx and follow track south.

Gerald
2W0GDA

What does one do in such circumstances? Broken down or stuck in a ditch and a mile or more from the nearest metalled road! The standard breakdown services
might be unwilling to attend.

Hmmm …

Thats easy Walt. I’ll give you a call on S20 and you can come and pull me out…and I’ll do the same for you :slight_smile:

To be fair, the thought of getting stuck on your own did put me off going further down the lane. More than one 4x4 and thats a different matter, but the Landy is 39 years old so I guess some things are allowed to snap and/or fall off.

As for making the track worse - no way. Gentle driving is the order of the day, but it is not too far to park a car in the village and walk down the lane. Adds about 3/4 mile to the walk and it is a very flat (but puddly) road. My MX5 would not have made it.

Not just a summit for 4x4 drivers, but after all this rain you have warned.

I do think that a Summer activation would be nice. Nice part of the world.

John