GW/MW-026 - failed activation - no, make that a Successful activation!

Oh dear

Its happens and yes one did pop a call out see if you were there. Damn unlucky.
Just done same with Glyn on 40m G4CFS/p. Do hope he’s ok. spotted self he did and nothing heard as yet.

Its a tribulation we have t deal with and crack on.

Karl

Hi Nick
Just back from the Lake District and read your post. I have a 817 mike you can use or a yaesu handheld you can lend while your over here. I am in burton on trent.

1 Like

I had my MH-31 mic fail due to damp weather conditions - thankfully it recovered once it dried out. I now carry a spare with me as insurance, but I usually leave that in the car. When you have CW available, the situation is less of an issue, but even the key can be prone to wet conditions.

Hope you are soon back in business Nick and have some enjoyable activations.

73, Gerald G4OIG

I’ve never had Yaesu mics fail before but it seems something like 10% of 817/857 mic inserts go OC in their first 10 years. I’m pretty sure the source of the insert is the problem. My guess is that during manufacture an ungloved finger touched the voice coil. After a while, depending on RH etc, corrosion chews through the winding. A know problem from half a century ago but overlooked in the modern era. I would expect a higher mortality rate among mics used outdoors where the higher RH would speed the corrosion up.

R

I always feel my day is better if I learn something new. I’d never considered that sweat / grease from a finger could setup conditions for a possible future corrosion fail but certainly seems reasonable when you stop and think about it.

What’s that saying about those who don’t learn from history are doomed to make the same mistakes? :wink:

3 Likes

Mic replaced, FT817 working, problem solved. Thanks to all for your advice.
I have alerted for G/SP-013 tomorrow on 2m.

1 Like

Good luck.
I will keep an ear open.
Rod

Hi Nick, goodto know it was only the Mic. at the end of the day - anything else (within the 817) could have been much more expensive to fix!

73 Ed.

Hoping to catch up with you later Nick. I see you’ve alerted for 1500 UTC = 4pm local summer time. I’ll aim to be at the parking spot by around 3.30pm.

Tom M1EYP

Thinking I may well cycle up. I hope to be bike mobile on the way - listening S20.

Nick’s activation today was rather gate-crashed.

L-R Tom M1EYP, Richard G3CWI, Jimmy M0HGY, Nick VK3ANL.

Sorry Nick and Rita!

3 Likes

Great to meet you Nick, and great to meet Rita too. Hope you’ve had a good drive back to Nottingham and an enjoyable dinner. Apologies for not donning my sunglasses. I can see I’ve let the side down there; they were in my car as well!

Topic needs to be changed to G/SP-013 - successful activation!

Thanks Tom, Jimmy & Richard, for crashing the party – we were flattered by the welcoming committee, although there’s some serious looking faces there. (SOTA inspectors - confirming I was in the activation zone?)

I hope I didn’t upset the locals too much when I lingered on the 2m calling frequency.

Tom, it was a good drive back – only one wrong exit from a roundabout along the way. BTW, Rita apologizes for having called you Matt at the end. She figures she might have gotten away with it, though, possibly being misunderstood as ‘mate’ :slight_smile:

73 de M/VK3ANL
Nick

5 Likes