Gun G/SP-013 :-(

Apologies to the chasers who were calling me on G/SP-013 Gun, this morning. The wind was almost gale force and the 2m bunny ear antenna, simply dissapeared. My cap and two pages of the log book followed it and that’s when I went qrt.

Thanks to Bob G6ODU for the spot. Only 5 contacts made. One contact, Mark MW0TTK, tells me he has lost his HF antenna. So much for the wonderful British summer :frowning:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Blimey Mike, I was hoping to catch you around noon (my lunchbreak) - but I guess that’s not going to happen now!

At least the antenna didn’t take you with it!

Time for another magic DX cap then methinks :wink:

Rob

In reply to 2E0YYY:
The trouble you get yourself into, when I’m not around!

Saw your spot yesterday and thought then that you’d be lucky (or stupid).

Wx just not condusive to SOTA…how about Great Pubs On The Air?

In reply to G7LAS:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Blimey Mike, I was hoping to catch you around noon (my lunchbreak) -
but I guess that’s not going to happen now!

At least the antenna didn’t take you with it!

It tried Rob, trust me!

Time for another magic DX cap then methinks :wink:

Managed to retrieve the cap after about a 500 yard chase, however, the log book pages are confined to history :frowning:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

Hmmm, 70cm activity night could be interesting tomorrow…

Tom M1EYP

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Bad luck, Mike, but I bet it’s the last time you go out in a hurricane remnant! I did it once, Hurricane Charlie, 1988 - never again! :frowning:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

It wasn’t too bad on Foel Fenli yesterday. The wind did lift me up once when sat down and moved my vast bulk about 4ft across the ground but the ribbon feeder J-pole / fishing rod survived the breeze. Only the bottom 2 sections up though. Probably a constant 25mph with big gusts. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear of your troubles Mike. At least you got your hat back.

Andy
M0FMF/p

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Bad luck, Mike, but I bet it’s the last time you go out in a hurricane
remnant! I did it once, Hurricane Charlie, 1988 - never again! :frowning:

Tell me about it, Brian. The funny thing was I was calling CQ and couldn’t understand why no-one was coming back. It was only after about 5 minutes, I looked up and noticed the antenna had blown away!

Anyhow, if anyone is interested in a single bunny ear, dipole antenna, my email address on qrz.com is good :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to M1EYP:

Hmmm, 70cm activity night could be interesting tomorrow…

Tom M1EYP

Mow Cop - Almost as high but you can drive to the top and use the Car as an anchor point for Antennas etc!

The Longmynd of SP - Both Pete M0COP and I use it for all 5 contest nights!

Pete does the 2m, 70cm, 6m and 4m

I do the 23cm shift! Not a fan of contests but on 23cm you only get about 20 QSOs per evening, so you can normally have a bit of a rag chew!

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to MM0FMF:
“At least you got your hat back”…But his hair has disappeared for good! :slight_smile:

In reply to G1STQ:

In reply to MM0FMF:
“At least you got your hat back”…But his hair has
disappeared for good! :slight_smile:

That’s it! No bunny eared antenna for you :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
I’ll have a wander aroung The Gun this weekend Mick - I’m sure I’ll find one in the heather!

In reply to 2E0YYY:

The wind was pretty ferocious on G/LD-025 Seatallan too! At least there is a windbreak shelter at the top, though it was hardly possible to get to it from the trig point. Once in the shelter things weren’t too bad, and we managed a reasonably comfortable VHF-only activation on the rucksack antenna. No chance of getting an HF antenna up on this one! Getting down was as hard work as going up!

The bonus feature of today was no rain!

In reply to M1MAJ:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

The wind was pretty ferocious on G/LD-025 Seatallan too!

On my return home from G/SP-013, I chased G3WFK/P up on G/SP-004 Shining Tor, this morning. He started off with a 3 element beam, but didn’t finish up with one.

The bonus feature of today was no rain!

Sadly, I can’t say the same :frowning:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

… G3WFK/P up on G/SP-004 Shining Tor, this morning. He started off with a 3 element beam, but didn’t finish up with one.

One of my favourite QSL cards is from a GM whose card states “if your antenna system did not blow down last winter, it wasn’t large enough!”. Maybe we need a similar caption for SOTA QSLs when operating under adverse conditions. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Hello All

Anybody been up GW/SW-003 - Lovely shelter cairn up there, however when 2E0BTR, M0MYA and I went up their in February of this year, I did not expect wind as fast and as cold as that.

Sat in the shelter cairn, some how got the 7m fishing pole up and the 4m slim jim! The only way to stop it from blowing down the mountain was to sit with it between my back and the wall of the cairn! Still managed to qualify exclusively on 4m FM, easy to say I did not hang around to have a go on 23cm!

73 all

Matt G8XYJ