Greyrigg Forest G/LD-038

Hi all,

We are planning to activate Grayrigg Forest G/LD-038 next Saturday. Have any of you got any suggestions for a suitable parking spot and a route up to the summit of Grayrigg Forest G/LD-038.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Jimmy

I parked at SD568982, cycled as far as possible and then walked to true summit. Don’t recall much else about it I’m afraid.

There are some suggestions in the archives on the old reflector.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to M3EYP:
Jimmy

It is what seems like an interminable slog on a metalled road from Richard’s suggested parking spot. I was passed by a landrover full of blokes with rucksacks which was later found parked and empty by the first mast, don’t know where they went ?
From the second mast head across the level ground and look for stile.
Drop down then up to summit.
Hope to catch you as this is one of the four LDs I have not chased.

Roger G4OWG

EDIT: Oh dear its my Grandson’s 1st birthday BBQ - so will miss this one :frowning:

Hi Roger,

Do you know whether you are allowed to drive up to the radio masts?

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:
Don’t Know Jimmy.
When I did it in 2006 the gates were not locked.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to M3EYP:
Notice Phil and Roy are doing it Thursday - that’s the only day I have to go into work this week :frowning:

Roger G4OWG

Hi Roger,

I noticed that as well, but it will be impossible to work them from my QTH, so I won’t be able to get any route information off them.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Hi Jimmy

regarding access we walked up the transmitter road on reaching the end of the road at the second mast if you head for the wall there is a rough stile

from here a faint path heads towards the summit when this peters out just make a beline for the summit

in regards to driving up the road while oviously being a private road none of the gates are locked and quite a number of them have signs saying drive slowly so it would seem to be posible to drive to the first mast

indeed to today there was a motorbike parked just past the first mast

regards phil G1OPV

Hi All,

Both me and my Dad M1EYP have cancalled both our planned activations of Grayrigg Forest G/LD-038 and Hutton Roof Crags G/LD-052 due to the heavy rain showers this Saturday.

Jimmy M3EYP