Gm/es-015

Apologies for the failure to transmit on 40m from GM/ES-015; Culardoch yesterday just after 10:00 hours. It was not an April fool prank!

I found a clear fx (I thought), started transmitting, self spotted (good phone signal, nearby mast was visible on Morrone!) then was swamped by contest stations. Listening to two overseas stations, both @ 5.9, explaining to each other that the frequency was already in use would have been comical if it hadn’t been so cold. I switched to 2m and eventually activated the hill. Coming back to 40m it was still chaotic with no free space on the band.

Culardoch is a fine 900m summit, smooth in profile, the result is no prospect of shelter from the cold north wind, so I packed and fled. Apologies for my lack of fortitude. I activated GM/ES-020 and ES-025 on 40m later that day, where it was somewhat warmer, and the contest was finished. As consolation I hope you managed to collect these later points.

Thanks

Colwyn
MM0YCJ

In reply to MM6YCJ:

Coming back to 40m it was still chaotic with no free space on the band.

40m SSB is an unforgiving place to QRP SSB stations when there is a contest. Discretion in changing mode or band is the only solution really. You may want to consider 60/17m as a suitable SSB bolt hole. 60m is nice because there are lots of SOTA chasers lurking and it’s quiet compared to 40m. Just remember that as it’s April now it tends to become much less reliable due to increased solar absorbtion. It will work spectacularly somedays and be complete mince the next. Tends to fix itself when the clocks go back :wink: 17m SSB is a great band with similar characteristics to 20m but without the nutters, contests, loonies and general mayhem.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM6YCJ:

I activated GM/ES-020 and ES-025 on 40m later that day, where it was somewhat
warmer, and the contest was finished.

I heard you there, just, but even without the contest the band was pretty crowded. DK3CW was on DM/HE-015 2kc up, and someone QRO was 2kc down. I guess, at a weekend, 2kc is more than you sometimes get…

Maybe next time…

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to MM6YCJ:
Hi Colwyn!

Interesting ‘long’ two-day expedition. I have these ones on my radar with an overnight camp. I wonder if you could send me your e-mail address so we could possibly compare route info.

Thanks

Jack (:>)
GM4COX
gm4cox at yahoo.co.uk

In reply to MM6YCJ:

I have done all my activations (102 so far) on 40m & 20m SSB, and yes 40m is a challenge even when there are no contests, problem is when running only 10w they either don’t hear you or do and just ignore you and continue transmitting.

I alway try to avoid activations on contest days or try to be on the summit and on 40m before the contest begins as quite often contests start at 12:00 or 14:00z for 24 hours. I would definitely avoid actiocation on WWDX contest days like the one 2 weeks ago, was listening on 40m and 20m and thinking to myself it was a good idea to stay in.

17m can be hit and miss at times especially in the mornings, but is normally fine in the afternoon and if you do a spot you will get the contact

Having said all that if you really want to activate the summit on 40m as well, you can still get the 4 contacts even on a crowded band, it’s tricky and needs some practice, just find a narrow spot between two stations (or their splatter) and do a self spot the chasers are pretty quick to come on frequency and you will have 4 or more contacts in less than 2 minutes, sometimes you can stay longer but sometimes it becomes unbearable and will have to QSY to 20m but you go the 4 on the band you wanted :)) its another challenge on top of the others we have to deal with :slight_smile: