Get that Leg fixed Karen 2E0XYL

In reply to G8ADD:

…I always use two walking poles, I feel a bit of a charlie but it is safer!

No need to feel awkward about using poles Brian. I suppose they are things that you find a help or a hindrance. Sometimes that can be down to the terrain - fine on the grassy slopes, a pain on the rocky scramble. Personally I have never used them, but after my wife found them beneficial on “social walks” in the hills, I must admit that I’m quite tempted to try a pair. They don’t cost much on eBay and if they do prove to be helpful, I can always save up for a pair of Lekis for next winter.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I found mine particularly useful on the summit ridge between Brim Fell and the Old Man of Coniston on the New Year Weekend where there were spreads of white ice and patches of verglassed rock. My crampons won’t go on my current boots and the sense of security from being effectively a quadruped made the experience most pleasurable - after all, you rarely see a dog slip on ice! My wife has got a pair that cost just £5 each from Tesco, I’ve tried hers and they work as well as my Lekis.

Brian G8add

In reply to 2E0XYL:

Hi Karen,

Jennifer, Nathan and myself are sorry to hear about your accident. Jennifer is very upset that she won’t be able to work you for a while. Take care of your self. We wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

I hope your not going to milk it too much and make the other half do everything Hi

Kind regards and Best wishes

Jennifer M6MIJ, Nathan 2E0OCC and Brian M0OYG.

PS you could use the time to study for your full ticket while your off LOL

In reply to G8ADD:

I notice in the latest Go Outdoors sale walking poles with shock absorbers are £3 each, a bargain in anybodies book!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I originally got a pair of walking poles simply to raise the ends of my HF dipole off the ground. On my first couple of activations I found using them while walking to be a bit of a hinderence, but I put that down to carrying too much weight in my rucksack, which of course slowed down my already very slow pace.

Since being a bit more sensible with pack weights,(& using a much lighter radio),on my last activation of G/SP-008 I was down to 15 Kgs including tent, which must be a record for me. This means that my walking stance is much healthier, hence using the walking poles became much more natural.

On reasonable terrain I would probably still feel more natural without them, but on boggy / muddy / slippy sections, they are indeed like an extra pair of legs. Quite useful for ensuring balance when crossing rocky streams too.

And of course, still perfect for keeping the ends of a HF dipole off the ground :slight_smile:

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G8ADD:

My wife has got a pair that cost just £5 each from Tesco, I’ve tried hers and they work as well as my Lekis.

Yes, I was only going to pick up a couple of cheapies to try them out. I was impressed how David M0YDH used his Lekis to assist him getting across streams when we went up Mickle Fell last month. I used the “leap and splash through” technique and got a wet foot for my trouble on the way back to the car.

As for using crampons, I’m not sure that they would have been that much use on the surface between OMC and Brim Fell under the conditions you describe. I have a pair of G10’s yet to be used in anger - the snow was just too slushy on Mickle Fell to make wearing them worthwhile. I’ve also bought a new pair of Berghaus Kibo 4 season boots which are thermally lined - they are over-sized to enable me to wear two pairs of socks in an effort to retain some heat in my feet during winter. I have poor circulation in my feet and the loss of feeling of the ground underfoot can be an issue.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

As for using crampons, I’m not sure that they would have been that
much use on the surface between OMC and Brim Fell under the conditions
you describe. I have a pair of G10’s yet to be used in anger - the
snow was just too slushy on Mickle Fell to make wearing them
worthwhile.

That is true, the ice was a little too discontinuous and I would have spent a lot of time on rock and grass which is not good for the points or the grass! You can always tell when there has been good ice conditions from the number of crampon scars that appear on the rocks, probably a good thing, too, as it counters the polishing that afflicts well-trodden rock! As you probably know, it takes a fair bit of practise to get the best out of crampons, a beginner will spend a lot of unnecessary energy making sure that they “bite” before learning to trust them, then there is the best foot-placements to learn, and dealing with the great danger, snow in the condition that “balls up” on the points and quickly destroys all security! For all that, they can be a godsend and I will probably have to get another pair of boots that will take my crampons…or bring back into use an old but good pair of leather alpine boots with a half plate.

Decisions, decisions! :slight_smile:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I will probably have to get another pair of boots that will take my crampons

Or get a pair of crampons that will take your boots.

Kahtoola?
(As long as you don’t want to go frontpointing.)

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Or get a pair of crampons that will take your boots.

No, Andy, my current boots really are too light for winter, and my crampons are a special design for mixed mountaineering and are now irreplaceable.

Kahtoola?
(As long as you don’t want to go frontpointing.)

But life is too short for step cutting!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

As you probably know… a beginner will spend a lot of unnecessary energy making sure that they “bite” before learning to trust them

I’ve never owned crampons before, always borrowed them so I never got to “know” the kit. Besides it was a long time ago, so I’ve forgotten all about technique. The new ones are fitted with anti-balling plates which flip the snow off. It will be interesting to see how efficient they are. Having done Red Screes, Place Fell, Y Lliwedd and several other summits with lying snow without the aid of crampons, hopefully it will be a pleasant experience.

I will probably have to get another pair of boots that will take my crampons…or bring back into use an old but good pair of leather alpine boots with a half plate

When I was considering which boots I was going to purchase, the ubiquitous Scarpa Manta with its lovely 3mm reverse leather was a strong contender, but I decided against them as they are not insulated. Hopefully what I have selected will prove to be a good choice… hmmm, that reminds me, I must adjust my crampons to fit them as they are a size up on my Kaylands - before I go out on the hills!

73, Gerald G4OIG

Sorry to Hear About the Leg Karen - Get Well Soon

Was Listening for you on one of the summits on 2M FM the other day unfortunately you were just too weak to work on FM

Matt M3WDS

Now this Gentleman was very lucky indeed!

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

Not so! He was very unlucky to have his fall AFTER they had moved in the JCBs and converted a slope of about 45 degrees (as I remember it) into a near vertical slope!

!&^ reporters!

Brian G8ADD

Yes Karen hope you get better soon. It just shows how easy it is to have an accident on the hills.
My own XYL Cat, who accompanies me on some of the activations had a mishap of her own on Sunday while we were descending Well Hill GM/SS-112, there was about a half inch of snow and she fell and while trying to get back on to her feet subsequently lost her footing and ended up sliding 280 feet down the hill before I managed to run fast enough to catch hold of her.
No visible injuries but a visit to the casualty department proved nothing broken, just a few bangs and bumps and few sore ribs. I think her rucksack helped a bit by keeping her head away from the rocks protruding through the grass.
As said over and over again it is always good practice - whoever you are - to let someone know where you are going and when you expect to be back, especially when out on your own.

All the best and take care

Neil 2M0NCM

In reply to 2M0NCM:

Thanks for the good wishes, Neil. It sounds like Cat had a lucky escape there but I’m sure it must have left you both a bit shocked! I hope she recovers quickly from her bumps and bruises which can be pretty painful.

Best Wishes and safe descent to both of you.

Karen & Neil (2E0TDX)