Garmin GPS

In reply to G4ERP:

Hi again, Andy.

So it does. How on earth did you find that one? Reversible routes is advertised as a feature of the Summit but not the Vista and there’s no mention of it in either the handbook or the CD (which is the same thing …).

I have to say the handbook isn’t good. I wonder how many more useful features are hidden in the unit.

Thanks again.

73, Richard

In reply to MM0FMF:
Ah!! Well as far as I was aware the difference that was first marketed at the time of launch of the GPSMap 60CSx between the GPSMap 60CS and the GPSMap 60CSx was that the x model had the more highly sensitive chip. That was very much behind my purchase of the 60SCx a couple of years ago. Clearly it looks like either I misinterpreted the original description/designations or Garmin have changed their approach. Never mind the key is to get the SIRF III chip.
Thanks for the perspective.
jim g0cqk

In reply to all:
Actually it seems a lot more complicated and Garmin do not seem to have consistent approach. A difference between the GPSMap 76, GPSMap 76S, GPSMap 76Cx and GPSMap76 CSx as well as the differences between the GPSMap 60, GPSMap 60Cx and GPSMap CSx are such that those with the x do seem to have the SIRF III chip and those without do not, although there are other differences. There is no H is these designations while there is in the Vista series. Oh for simplicity!!
73 jim
g0cqk

In reply to G0CQK:

Indeed the nomenclature is not consistent. Marketing 1, Users 0! The GPSMap 60 uses a QFH antenna and in my book is way cooler than the patch antenna used in my Vista.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:
I have a Garmin Geko 201. It’s pretty basic (no onboard maps) but does fine for me. Very small and light. Battery life on 2 AAA NiMHs is over 8 hours (I always have spare batteries anyway). Has withstood being dropped a fair few times. Does take a while to acquire satellites from cold, but I normally leave it on as I walk. I’ve never tried linking it to a computer.

This was my GPS for 6 weeks of geological mapping and performed admirably for the price. But it sounds like the OP is looking for something a bit more featureful.

In reply to G4YTD:

I use the Garmin Colorado with the topo maps. A useful accessory but not an
instrument of navigation. Like with most units it has its pros and cons but it suffices for my needs and is superb for paperless caching. When using Lithium batteries it seems to go on for hours on one set.

Very reasonably priced. I bought mine from Handtec at around £250 incl VAT