G4YSS:'LAKES WEEK' 2015. LD21-LD8-LD9-(LD3) 1st-4th June-15

G4YSS: ‘LAKES WEEK’ 2015. Four LD SOTA’s, Four days, 01 to 04-June-15.

Note: Due to character limit of 32,000 the final day of this report (Helvellyn G/LD-003) appears on a separate report - G4YSS: 'LAKES WEEK' 2015 - Part 2; Helvellyn on 04-June-15

ROBINSON; BLENCATHRA; GRASMOOR G/LD’s: 21-8-9 (This report)
(& HELVELLYN G/LD3 (Separate report)

Four days (inc LD3):
8,573 feet of ascent, 16.8 miles walked, 32 SOTA points, 4 activating days (see table)
G4YSS using GX0OOO/P; solo except for LD21 and the LD8 ascent
All times BST (UTC plus 1 hr) unless otherwise stated

VHF-QRP from G/LD-021 & G/LD-008
VHF-QRP & HF-QRO from G/LD-009 & G/LD-003

RADIO EQUIPMENT:

VHF QRP:
IC-E90 4-Band, 5W-VHFM Handheld (LD21 & LD8)
FT817ND HF/VHF/UHF-5W Transceiver (LD9 & LD3)
Reserve Handheld: Vero VGC UV-X4; 2W (2m-70cm & Group PMR if required)

HF-QRO:
FT817ND HF/VHF/UHF 5W Transceiver without internal batteries (LD9 & LD3).
SAINSONIC MX-P50M, 50 Watt HF Linear Amplifier (LD9 & LD3).
Unitone ‘D shape’ ear-cup headphones.

Antennas - VHF:
Half-wave vertical J-Pole for 2m-FM

Antennas - HF:
Link dipole No1: 80-60-40-20m with coils for 160m (LD9)
Link dipole No2: 80-40-20-15-10m (LD3)
Four section, 5m CFC mast with 1m end sticks

Batteries:
LD21 & LD8: IC-E90 Handheld 1.3Ah Li-Po integral battery pack
LD9 & LD3: One 6Ah Li-Po (plus 1 x 2.2 Ah Li-Po in reserve - not used)

QRP Packweight: 7.5 kg (16.5 pounds) including 0.5 litres of water (LD21 & LD8)
QRO Packweight: 9.7 kg (21.4 pounds) including 0.5 litres of water (LD9 & LD3)

INTRO:
This activation report relates to our annual five-night break in the Lake District with the usual walking group assembled from Worthing, Birmingham and Scarborough. Apart from missing one year, I have walked with this group in June for the past 13 years. As before, accommodation was at the Sandon B&B in Southey St, Keswick (now GBP43 pppn). We found evening meals in Keswick at the George or at Casa Bella - recommended but they do not come cheap. Cost was typically in excess of GBP20 pp for two courses including a drink and 10% tip. Although the food is of acceptable standard and the staff are friendly, the Royal Oak is not recommended due to small quantity and high prices for the past two years.

Group leader David Barnes of Worthing devised the routes based on Lakeland Walker Magazine. For the second year in succession the mountain weather forecast was less than favourable. For the first two days unseasonably low temperatures, high winds and wet weather were all predicted with the possibility of snow above 600m! Nonetheless, David’s 2015 route list did feature a handful of opportunities which either included SOTA’s or passed close to them. A choice from the list was made each morning. If it was possible to walk with the group all or some of the way and take in a summit, I was with them. Otherwise I went solo. In all cases I took independent transport.

There were just four walking days and operations were limited by breakfast time (8am) at the Sandon B&B in Southey Street, Keswick and evening meals in the town at around 7pm. We would usually get away by 09:30 and return before 5pm. A lightweight QRP station was used on the first two summits. The first; Robinson LD21, was a full group activity and on the second; Blencathra LD8, three of us walked together much of the way before separating.

As was the case last year, the WX was not nearly as bad as forecast and waterproofs were never needed due to careful planning of walk times. Summit temperatures were typically between 5C and 11C and the wind speed did reach 25mph on the first two days. Despite this we encountered minimal low-cloud. Blencathra had it on the 2nd June and the upper 20m of Grasmoor’s summit plateau harboured some for a while on the 3rd. Very heavy rain started immediately after a noon descent from Robinson on the 1st of June but we were able to sit smugly in Buttermere cafe enjoying tea and cakes while the weather did its worst.

MONDAY 01-Jun-15: ROBINSON G/LD-021; 2m-FM QRP only

Execution:
Rain was forecast from around noon but there was time to fit Robinson into the morning. A group of seven set off from Newlands Hause at 10:12. This is a high spot of some 333m ASL on the ‘C’ road from Braithwaite to Buttermere. There is space to park around a dozen cars free at NY 1928 1762. A good path goes up the hill from here to High Snockrigg and Buttermere Moss to Robinson’s summit. I marked the path as follows: NY 1906 1732; NY 1912 1700; NY 1939 1686 and NY 1975 1678.

With the initial steep ground behind you, the path becomes very wet, boggy and less well defined until the final incline is reached. Despite the possibility of wet feet, this is probably the most efficient way to reach LD21 and it’s the first time I have done it this way.

By going ahead for the final part of the climb, I was able to deploy the station before the group arrived, setting up away from the shelter. On the way up a text message, warning of imminent SOTA activity, was fired off to G4SSH. Sadly Roy would be way out of range of VHF. In fact Robinson is not known for wondrous lines-of-sight and with basic equipment, that cuts down the QSO count.

ROBINSON, GLD-021, 737m, 6pts, 11:04 to 11:32. 5 deg C. Wind 25 mph. No low-cloud or rain. (IO84JM – NY21.) Orange phone coverage. IC-E90 4-Band 5W H/H to vertical half wave for 2m-FM.

145.400 FM - 6 QSO’s:
Using 5 Watts from the IC-E90 to the trusty home-brew vertical J-Pole antenna, it was Sue G1OHH (Lancaster) who answered the CQ on S20. After a QSY to S16 Sue’s report was 59 with a 52 coming back. As the group of six sat down for their lunch in windy conditions I worked my way down the callers between 10:15z and 10:25z as follows: 2E0MIX Derek in Whitehaven; G0ORO Dennis in Workington; M0XSD & M6EPW Colin and Liz in Frizington; and finally G4WHA/M Geoff who had taken the trouble to drive from the shop in Penrith, to a more favourable QTH which better covered LD21.

During the activation, I witnessed my companions fighting against the wind to don waterproof over-trousers in preparation for the forthcoming rain. From a personal viewpoint, I don’t like waterproofs; avoiding their use wherever possible. My solution is a strong umbrella coupled with reasonably water repellent trousers. In fact no water protection was required today. The rain started as we reached the cars at 12:21. Apart from a vain attempt to skirt around the extensive boggy ground of High Snockrigg, the walk down followed the ascent route. There was an incident however. Rob took a tumble on a steep rocky section badly bruising his knee.

After half an hour sitting in the cars in increasingly wet and windy conditions, we drove to Buttermere cafe for pots of tea and cakes. Afterwards, I put on three WAB squares from the car but conditions on 7.160 MHz were so poor that I only logged two or three stations from each. Not wanting to return to the B&B, I resorted to sitting in the car and listening to the England/ ZL test match at Headingly on a rather scratchy 198 kHz until they too were rained off. Finally, hoping for a chat to pass the time, I called Ron G0UQC, who lives in the next street to our B&B but there was no response on 145.500. This was the only ‘rotten afternoon’ we experienced and thankfully it would not rain much for the rest of the holiday. What a ‘Smash and Grab’ Robinson had turned out to be: 6 QSO’s – 6 points!

TUESDAY 02-Jun-15: BLENCATHRA G/LD-008; 2m-FM QRP only

Execution:
Despite a real possibility that we would get wet at some point, group leader David announced that today’s walk would be a moderately long one starting and ending at Mungrisdale and circling Bannerdale Crags; one of Wainwright’s northern fells. Due to Rob’s injury the day before, coupled with Roger’s ongoing foot trouble and Leslie’s aching knees from yesterday’s descent, we could only muster three walkers including myself for this one. David pointed out that I could ‘peel off’ and activate Blencathra half way around the circuit if I wished. This offer was eagerly embraced and I asked if we could drop my car off beside the A66 at Scales for a quick return. It was assumed that I would have to accept some bad weather which was forecast to start around midday.

Parking at Mungrisdale beside a cottage at NY 3617 3031 (239m ASL), we were underway in sunshine and a strong wind by 10:06. The way-finding is easy; a westerly track passes close by the Glenderamackin river confluence at NY 3563 3023 then uphill via NY 3524 2995 and NY 3471 2982 to a path junction at the northern end of Bannerdale Crags marked at NY 3342 3015. From there a path follows along the top of the crags going south until we left it at around NY 3310 2944; heading straight for the 615m col at NY 3277 2913. At this waypoint in dull, windy conditions, I parted from David and Chris as they started their descent back to Mungrisdale.

Having never been this way before, I doubted that there would be a path to Blencathra but it was immediately obvious and follows up via NY 3238 2847, passing a white stone cross on the ground at NY 3239 2811. The walk uphill; a distance of a mile from col to summit, took 30 minutes and I arrived in wind driven drizzly rain and imminent low-cloud.

There is no shelter on Blencathra so I set up on the grassy edge overlooking Doddick Fell, few metres from the trig point. It was rather unpleasant but a strong black umbrella coupled with the minimal setup required for a quick VHF activation, helped make it bearable.

BLENCATHRA, G/LD-008, 868m, 8 pts, 11:59 to 12:36, 11 deg C, 25 mph wind, low-cloud, one drizzly rain shower during the activation. IO84LP – NY32. IC-E90 4-Band 5W H/H to vertical half wave for 2m-FM.

145.400 FM - 9 QSO’s:
I am not used to SOTA activations spanning under 20 minutes, common in the early days of SOTA but this was one of those. After an alert put on by Roy G4SSH, a CQ on S20 with 5 Watts, brought in Geoff G4WHA/A from Penrith with 59 both ways. There followed: G0TDM John in Penrith; G1OHH Sue in Lancaster; G6LKB Dave in Ulverston - also after the trig; G0OXV/M Keith near Ormskirk - a long running SOTA friend but a difficult contact at 56/ 41; G4ZRP Brian - Wirral; GM6LJE/M Robin between Lockerbie and Dumfries; GW0WTT Paul at Ewloe and M0WBG Neil somewhere in the Wirral.

Apart from Keith’s difficulty with my QRP signal, readability was very good, though the last two stations both gave me 51. When I attained Mountain Goat in May 2004, Keith G0OXV was the World’s top SOTA chaser by a large margin. After these QSO’s, repeated recourse to S20 produced nothing further so I packed up quickly and left. I noticed some ‘signal pinching’ (to quote CB parlance) and this was not the first time it has affected my IC-E90 on LD8.

The walk down to Scales introduced new ground for me so with no route in my GPS to follow, I was careful to ensure the correct path; not wanting to end up on Sharp Edge in drizzly low-cloud and a brisk westerly! In fact the WX gradually improved on the way down and I was back to the car in the A66 layby at NY 3390 2670 (210m ASL) by 13:27.

Just as I was lifting the rucksack onto the rear seat, Dave and Chris arrived on their way back from Mungrisdale to catch up with events. It was arranged to meet at the Wainwright exhibition in Keswick. Here there was much of interest particularly concerning the walker’s early life and education. Better still it was entirely free.

Just for the record the Scales Fell (descent) waypoints rounded to 8 figures are listed here: NY 3251 2776; NY 3275 2777; NY 3291 2770 (Doddick Fell path junction); NY 3320 2788; NY 3353 2779; NY 3380 2753; NY 3434 2754 (turn right on descent); NY 3448 2736 (turn left on descent - see note); NY 3448 2723; and the fell gate at NY 3402 2682. The path/ A66 junction is at NY 34021 26765. This route takes you from LD8 to the A66 layby. Note: If the car park at Comb Beck NY 3488 2722 is the target, take the appropriate path; straight ahead at NY 3448 2736 instead of going left.
9 QSO’s – 8 points.

WEDNESDAY 03-Jun-15: GRASMOOR G/LD-009 - HF QRO/ VHF QRP.

Execution:
Today’s group walk was going to be the Rannerdale Round but it was changed at breakfast time because it involves 3,500 feet of ascent. This was the result of aches, pains and injuries to various parties. Apparently Grasmoor is the first significant port of call on this round so with maps, HF equipment and logsheets prepared the night before, it was easier for me to stick to the plan and do Grasmoor solo. I could forget the rest of the round as it contained no further SOTAs. Besides, I am not in the habit of doing multiple summits outside of winter. Far better to put one summit on the air and ‘give it the works’ so long as the weather cooperates. The lads arranged to climb Causey Pike via Outerside instead and they had a good day with none of the low-cloud that hung around the higher Grasmoor for the first half of the afternoon.

For some reason the satnav took me right around via Whinlatter and the Lorton Valley from Keswick, instead of through Newlands. This had the knock-on effect of bringing me to the ‘wrong’ Cinderdale car park at NY 1625 1936. I should have driven a further 100 metres in a southerly direction to the smaller car park, unseen at NY 1625 1927. The error tricked me into thinking that the minor path straight in front of me was the right one.

Not realising that I was about to go up a wrong path I sat staring reluctant up at it for some time, marveling at its steepness and the scree slope which it seemed to be following higher up. One look at the map would have put me right but for some reason that didn’t happen. With the sun out and lighter winds, more time was wasted substituting the thermals, required on the previous two days, for lighter clothing. After taking on board the better part of a litre of water, I left the car at 10:40.

Main (Intended) Path:
The Lad Hows path I planned to take starts near a ford through Cinderdale Beck at NY 1629 1927 and climbs in a civilised manner via NY 16751 19427; NY 17200 19298; NY 17790 19800 and NY 17788 20186 to a path junction on the Grasmoor ridge at NY 17703 20293. It is easy to follow, well used, albeit gravely and zigzagging on its upper reaches but I was not to find all this out until the descent in the late afternoon.

Minor path taken:
Here follow some waypoints for the minor path via Red Gill, used in error. The only good thing that can be said about this is that it is very direct but in order to achieve that property, it is necessarily steep. It passes to the right of a long scree run and through heather most of the way. Every time it looks like it is about to make for the scree, another section of the heather path suddenly reveals itself, though it becomes increasingly gravely and ill-defined higher up.

It is slow going and I wouldn’t recommend it, particularly for a descent but if you want an alternative challenge it goes straight up by: NY 16437 19460; NY 16637 19739; NY 16857 20038; NY 16931 20173; NY 17009 20240 (becoming difficult to see) and NY 17107 20376. From there it’s an easy half kilometer walk east to Grasmoor’s summit shelter. I suspect this wrong approach delayed me today as it took 1hr-26 minutes to reach the top. I don’t make a habit of carrying HF-QRO kit up paths that steep.

GRASMOOR, G/LD-009, 852m, 8pts, 12:06 to 16:28. 9 deg.C, 15 mph wind. A mix of low-cloud, overcast and sunshine. IO84JM - NY21. FT817ND and MX-P50M amplifier. 6Ah Li-Po battery. Intermittent Orange phone coverage.

7.033 CW - 18 QSO’s:
The dipole was set up a short distance north from the summit shelter. Here there are some rocks lying on the grass. One was pressed into service as a seat, while others were stacked as small cairns to support the mast and end sticks which would otherwise fall over in the shallow soil. The FT817ND and MX-P50M amplifier were used for this activation.

Opening with G4SSH Roy who I texted in advance, the following countries were worked with 30 Watts to the inverted vee: G; PA; F; HB9; DL; EA and GM. Overseas stations were at least two ‘S’ points down on British ones and QSB was deep. Roy gave me 559 with 5 Watts and 579 with the amp switched on; a good way to tell if it’s working.

7.140 SSB - 21 QSO’s:
Mike G6TUH was first in the log on SSB with a 58/ 57 exchange. There followed familiar SOTA and WAB chasers, almost all in the UK and almost all with good strengths. Exceptions were DK1WI Erhard with a ‘43’ for me; EA2CKX Pedro who gave me a ‘44’ and EI7GEB/P David who was coming in at 55 from EI/IW-005; an S2S. I worked three mobiles: G4TSQ/M Mike; G4WAL/M (both 55/ 55) and MM3PDM/M Peter nr. Peterhead (57/ 57). Since the Europeans were obviously struggling to work me, I decided to go on 20m after Top Band.

1.832 CW - 1 QSO:
With the coils fitted and adjusted I worked G4OBK. The exchange was 589/ 559 and the QSO was set up by Roy G4SSH via the telephone whilst also being posted on sotawatch. Power for this band only was the full 50 Watts. After a few CQ’s I gave up with nothing further heard.

1.843 SSB - NIL:
I could clearly hear Phil G4OBK calling me in SSB but he was receiving nothing from me. Since the same kind of thing occurred in Scotland during May with Ray GM3PIL, I suspect equipment problems; most probably the amplifier. Just how that can cause trouble in one mode and not another, I have no idea at present.

14.052.6 CW - 18 QSO’s:
After thoughts of 10.118, 20m was decided upon, the session starting with EB2CZF Jose at 13:23z. Next in was RV9DC. Sergei is a keen WAB collector; in this case NY12. Another DX was contact was KA1R Matthew with a 599/ 449 exchange. Otherwise with 30 Watts throughout: SP; UA; HB9; DL; OH; OE; EA and F. Mariusz SP9AMH/ QRP is always an interesting contact. Sometimes he uses just 2 Watts.

14.265 SSB - 13 QSO’s:
Yet another text message to G4SSH got the QSY done in minutes. With 30 Watts, a steady stream of callsigns, some of them owned by SOTA chasers, entered the log. Countries worked: I5; RV; OE; DL; CU2/3; EA; SV; OM and SM. There were quite a few 55 reports but also a massive 59 plus 10dB coming from OE7PHI Hans.

7.160 SSB (WAB NET) - 6 QSO’s:
A few WAB stations had called in earlier on 7.140 but I worked another six in under 5 minutes when Geoff G0GWY ran me down the WAB net. Easy operating.

145.400 FM - 4 QSO’s:
Running the FT817ND barefoot at 5 Watts into the J-Pole vertical, the final four chasers were mopped up: G0TDM and G4WHA/A John & Geoff in Penrith; G1KLZ Doug in High Bentham and MW0PAD Paddy on Anglesey. I logged 59; 52; 55 and 51 from these stations respectively.

Descent of LD9:
After the error on ascent, I made certain to first walk east picking up the proper path down via Lad Hows (see earlier waypoint info). The sunny but breezy descent took 49 minutes to 17:17 giving just enough time to civilise myself before a walk down to the Casa Bella for evening meal.

LOST LOG!!!
I took the Grasmoor log down to the Casa Bella with me to fill in the missing QSO times. After ordering I was devastated to discover that I no longer had this precious document in my possession. Turning out all my pockets and eliminating a trick, I enquired with the waitress, explaining how vitally important these two sheets of A4 paper were and that eight points hung in the balance but a thorough search yielded nothing. These were the priceless works of G4YSS - utterly lost!

The meal was duly served but it might just as well have been cardboard as far as I was concerned. More than 30 minutes passed when upon a beaming waitress arrived flourishing the treasured items. The logsheets had been found folded into the menu of another customer. What a relief! The food suddenly became delicious and the tip particularly generous!

QSO’s - LD9:
40m CW: 18
40m SSB: 27 (inc 6 on WAB net)
160m CW: 1
160m SSB: Nil
20m CW: 18
20m SSB: 13
2m FM: 4
TOTAL: 81

THURSDAY 04-Jun-15: HELVELLYN G/LD-003 - HF QRO/ VHF QRP (Final Day)
SEE SEPARATE REPORT - G4YSS: 'LAKES WEEK' 2015 - Part 2; Helvellyn on 04-June-15

Observations:
Although I know he loves the challenge, for the umpteenth time my gratitude goes to Roy G4SSH for his support on the end of the phone or text message for QSY’s. Not only that but band condition advice from somebody who is ‘in the moment’ from a SOTA chaser’s viewpoint often comes the other way, making decisions easier.

Summer is the time for easy one-summit operations. Unless it’s raining, lightning or blowing hard, summit stays of several hours are a real pleasure. Gerald G4OIG is right of course. There’s nothing like having accommodation close at hand rather than spending six hours driving in the day.

The WX was predicted to be pretty dire for the first two days but it wasn’t bad if you picked your times. The final two days were perfect for climbing mountains, if a little chilly for sitting on top of them. To my mind there is little to beat a 10-pointer and the Helvellyn activation was memorable. Walking new routes on Robinson, Blencathra and Grasmoor produced extra interest.

What luxury when there is adequate time to target as many chasers as possible in so many parts of Europe and across the ‘pond’ too. After a winter packed with multi-summit activations and barely time to eat or drink let alone work that other band, this was like another world. The group walks seem to be getting lower and shorter as the years go by so it was a real pleasure being able to walk with them on the first two days.

Band conditions couldn’t have been more convenient. Evident from a spot of mobile WABing in the afternoon, 40m was terrible on Monday but that was of no consequence when I was forced to choose a smash and grab activation on 2m-FM ahead of bad WX. By Wednesday and Thursday, when the short-wave kit came out along with the sun, propagation improved dramatically; apart from the QSB that is.

In summer 160m doesn’t work too well so I must thank Phil G4OBK for the single Top Band QSO of the holiday and Roy for arranging it. I still don’t know what’s happening with 160m SSB. Perhaps a bench check will reveal something.

A big thank you to G4SSH for the ‘SOTA spotting’ service. Thanks to all chasers and the following spotters: G4SSH; G1OHH; G4WHA/A; G4OBK and G0TDM. Quick spotting is such an essential part of SOTA these days.

QSO Summary:
LD21 Robinson on 1st June:
6 on 2m-FM

LD8 Blencathra on 2nd June:
9 on 2m-FM

LD9 Grasmoor on 3rd June:
40m CW: 18
40m SSB: 27 (inc 6 on WAB net)
160m CW: 1
160m SSB: Nil
20m CW: 18
20m SSB: 13
2m FM: 4
Total QSO’s: 81

LD3 Helvellyn on 4th June:
40m CW: 15
40m SSB: 28 (inc 11 on WAB net)
20m CW: 8
20m SSB:15
15m CW: 5
15m SSB: 4
2m FM: 6
Total QSO’s: 81

G4YSS (GX0OOO/P) ‘LAKES Walking Week’ June 2015 Data
June: SOTA SUMMIT Ref:G/ Pt. Time (BST) With:
1st Newlands Hause-333m-NY 1928 1762 10:12 Group
1st ROBINSON - 737m LD-021 6 11:04-11:32 Group
1st Newlands Hause-333m-NY 1928 1762 12:21 Group
Bands: 2fm only QRP-5W
Totals: 4.2km/ 407m ascent; Approx 1.7hrs walking/ 2.2hrs gross - 6 QSOs.

2nd Mungrisdale-239m-NY 3617 3031 10:06 Group
2nd N of Bannerdale Crags NY 3342 3015 11:06 Group
2nd Left Group at Col NY 3277 2913 (615m) 11:29 Solo
2nd BLENCATHRA - 868m LD-008 8 11:59-12:36 Solo
2nd Scales Fell NY 3448 2736 13:14 Solo
2nd A66 Scales Layby-NY 3390 2670 (210m) 13:27 Solo
Bands: 2fm only QRP-5W
Totals: 10.3km/ 700m ascent; Approx 2.7hrs walking - 3.4hrs gross - 9 QSOs.

3rd Cinderdale-N NY 1625 1936 -110m 10:40 Solo
3rd Minor path via Red Gill to NY 1705 2031 11:32 Solo
3rd GRASMOOR - 852m LD-009 9 12:06-16:28 Solo
3rd Main Path via Lad Hows NY 1741 1946 16:53 Solo
3rd Cinderdale-N NY 1625 1936 -110m 17:17 Solo
Bands: 160-40-20-2fm QRO-30W
Totals: 4.7km/ 742m ascent; Approx 2.3hrs walking - 6.6hrs gross -81 QSOs.

4th Thirlmere Church Car Park-190m 10:02 Solo
4th HELVELLYN - 950m LD-003 10 11:12-15:45 Solo
4th Thirlmere Church Car Park-190m 16:14 Solo
Bands: 40-20-15-2fm QRO-30W
Totals: 7.7km/ 764m ascent; Approx 2hrs walking - 6.2hrs gross - 81 QSOs.
TOTALS (Four days): 4 SOTAs - 32 pts - 177 QSO’s:
Walked: 26.9km (16.8 mls) with 2,613m (8,573ft) ascent.
8.7hrs walking at 1.9mph Ave. 352miles driven 31st May to 5th June inc.
Miles Driven:
Total: 352 in XYL’s C4 Picasso Diesel.

73, John
(G4YSS using Scarborough Special Events Group Club Call GX0OOO/P.)

PHOTOS:

Above: Pre-LD21 group photo at Newlands Hawse, 1st June.

Above: LD21 path. Newlands Hawse below, 1st June.

Above: LD21 activation position with operator’s Kendal Mintcake, 1st June.

Above: LD8 route. The author & group leader David nr Mungrisdale, 2nd June.

Above: LD8 route. Stone cross at NY3238-2811, 2nd June.

Above: LD8’s diminutive Trig Point. 2nd June.

Above: LD9 route (the ‘wrong’ one) from Cinderdale via Red Gill, 3rd June.

Above: LD9 route (the ‘wrong’ one). Looking back to Cinderdale. Slow progress, 3rd June.

Above: LD9 summit and HF QTH, 3rd June.

Above: LD9 summit and VHF QTH, 3rd June.

Above: ‘Tek Care - Lambs Ont Road.’ Cinderdale, 3rd June.

Above: Lost LD9 log re-located after searching thro’ 30 menus, 3rd June.

2 Likes