G4YSS: LAKES WEEK 2012. 5xLD’s, June-12

G4YSS: ‘LAKES WEEK’ 2012. Five LD SOTA’s, 10 to 13-June-12

G/LD-008; G/LD-027 & G/LD-011; G/LD-004; G/LD-023.
BLENCATHRA; PLACE FELL & HIGH STREET; SKIDDAW; KNOTT.
10,500 feet ascent, 31 miles, 36 points, 3.5 days.
G4YSS using GQ0OOO/P on 10th June and GX0OOO/P for the remainder.
All times BST (UTC plus 1 hr) UOS.

EQUIPMENT:
HF QRO: ICOM IC706-2G. HF QRP: FT817ND.
Antenna: Link dipole for 80m thru 20m on a 5m mast with 1m end sticks.
Battery: 9 Ah Li-Po battery for HF QRO. 4.5 Ah Li-Po battery for HF QRP (& 2m FM from LD11)
4m FM: ICOM IC-E90, 4-Band H/H to 2m duck, extended for 4m and quarter-wave counterpoise.
2m FM: ICOM IC-E90 to Home-Brew Half-Wave Vertical J-Pole or rubber duck.

INTRO:
This activation report relates to our annual five-night break in the Lake District with the usual walking group assembled from Worthing, Birmingham and Scarborough. Accommodation was in Keswick. Group leader David Barnes devised the routes based on Lakeland Walker Magazine. In the case of LD27, LD11 & LD23 the routes were modified and timed to include accessible SOTA’s. LD8 was done solo prior to the group’s arrival. Advanced alerts were made where possible.

Operations were limited by breakfast times at the Sandon B&B in Southey Street, Keswick and evening meals in the town. In addition to time considerations, the usual problems of distance / ascent versus pack weight also came into the equation when deciding equipment.

The WX was very good for walking throughout with an hour of rain affecting LD8 on the 10th but only brief light drizzle on one occasion after that. Otherwise conditions were mostly overcast with hazy sunshine at times. Summit temperatures were typically in the 8 to 10C range. The only low-cloud affected summit was LD11 and windspeeds ranged from 3 mph to around 10mph. There were many great views to be had, especially from Ullock Pike and Skiddaw.

SUNDAY 10-Jun-12: BLENCATHRA G/LD-008 using GQ0OOO/P.

BLENCATHRA, G/LD-008, 868m, 8 pts, 14:12 to 16:27, 8 deg C, 10 mph wind, overcast, one hour rain shower during activation. IO84LP – NY32. Orange phone coverage. IC706-2G QRO.

Intro:
Because my XYL was booked in for an operation on Friday 15th June, we decided to advance the holiday by one day at either end. This meant that the walking group had not yet arrived and I would be on my own for the 10th. In fact I only had half a day for SOTA. Why then, when we went to the beautiful Lake District, did I spend all morning in a Plastics outlet at Kendal? I’m ashamed to explain but it had a lot to do with balancing the Brownie points books. To save time, I got the walking gear on in the Lakeland Plasics car park and off we drove for Blencathra.

Route:
After dropping Denise off at Keswick, I was walking close to the target time, at 13:03. The route was the old favourite - up Blease Fell from the (free) car park just past the Blencathra Centre at NY 3026 2565. The route is described in previous reports but it does mean walking the full length of the undulating summit ridge in order to gain access to the SOTA summit at the east end. Without this the ascent can be made in under 50 minutes but this extra section adds another 20 minutes and 20 again when you return. There is no alternative as the activation zone does not extend to the western end.

Last year I used the Hall’s Ridge route which is shorter and ‘lands’ you straight on the summit proper but because of the scrambling involved it took some 10 minutes longer. So back to the user friendly Blease Fell this year. If I want a change in future and having tried Sharp Edge, I may opt for Doddick.

Whilst erecting the dipole in the rain, I’d heard a young boy asking his father what ‘the wires’ were for. A few minutes later they came over to find out. I told them it was short-wave radio. The 8 year old son asked, ‘Is it old fashioned radio?’ I didn’t really have an answer for him but did my best to explain, make it interesting and let him hear it.

7.032 CW - 23 QSO’s:
Using various outputs from 30 to 100W between 13:29 and 13:56z, the breakdown of stations worked was as follows: 12 ‘G’ stations and PA, ON, DL and F. It had been raining lightly before I arrived at the summit so the first hour of the activation was done under a large black umbrella. Since this was also used for the summit ridge walk, I’d attracted a couple of comments. One offering from a burly Cockney who I’d spotted smiling to himself from some distance, ‘Oh, I thought it was Mary Poppins.’

7.136 SSB - 43 QSO’s:
Before embarking on the SSB session proper, I worked op Nicky calling CQ further up the band, from WAB square HU44 on Shetland. It was the callsign GS4WAB which attracted attention.

After that and on a frequency of 7.136 MHz EI4IQ and PA0SKP were logged. The remainder were ‘G’ stations in Scotland, Wales and Guernsey. All the near stations had big signals. The continent was not so strong. This state of affairs continued on 40m most of the time for the rest of the week. The power was around 40W with excursions upward where required.

145 FM - 5 QSO’s:
After packing up the HF station a few ‘walking’ QSO’s with the handheld on 2FM were enjoyed. With 5W to a rubber duck the following were logged: G0TDM - John; G4WHA/M - Geoff; G4ZIO/P (S2S) - Dean; 2E0XYL - Karen and finally 2E0MIX - Derek. The S2S with G4ZOI/P was with Whernside NP4. Dean was taking part in the Practical Wireless 2m contest. He’d done pretty well and was by now giving out serial numbers in the higher 70’s so I also worked him under my own call.

I got down by 17:19. The descent took 52 minutes including hanging around for the 2m QSO’s.

Total QSO’s for LD8 were 71.

MONDAY 11-Jun-12: PLACE FELL G/LD-027 & HIGH ST G/LD-011.

PLACE FELL, G/LD-027, 657m, 4pts. 11:58 to 13:23. 8 deg. C. 10 mph. Overcast. (IO84MN, WAB: NY41) Orange phone coverage. FT817ND QRP.

Intro:
This walk was a substitute for Skiddaw which could be seen from our accomodation and had cloud on it that morning. In the few minutes available to replan and repack the rucksack from a short walk with QRO to a long walk with QRP, I hoped nothing had been forgotten. In fact my camera was left behind. The mobile phone substituted though badly.

So the group walk for today became: Hartsop to Boredale Hause, Angle Tarn, Satura Crag, Hayswater Reservoir and back to Hartsop. The group were to add two small hills and would walk round the western side of Angle Tarn for the purpose. I was to dispense with this ‘inefficiency.’ There were no SOTAs on this walk so I ‘stretched it’ at both ends to include Place Fell and High Street. Stony Cove Pike was in the offing too but there are limits when you don’t start walking until 10:30 and have to be back for 6pm. Also this is already quite a long route of almost 12 miles.

Place Fell, being surrounded by big hills, can be ‘miserable’ with basic VHF and I have ‘wept and pleaded’ into S20 more than once from there in the past. That would mean HF gear and weight. Unlike Place Fell, High Street has a reasonable VHF takeoff so a time-dependent choice could be made there on arrival. I didn’t fancy carrying QRO around this route in summer and in the end I am glad I didn’t try, having had little sleep the previous night. I wish I wasn’t such a worrier.

Route to LD27:
From Hartsop the plan was to walk to Boredale Hause with the group and then part company. Further ascent, distance and an HF activation of LD27 on my part would mean that catching them up afterwards would be pretty unlikely. Thus it proved - I didn’t see them again. From Hartsop the route to LD27 is simple enough; heading north via the minor road and a track which you turn off from at NY 4052 1462 (bearing right and up). This is the start of the path to Boredale Hause, wherefrom it’s a steady climb without reascent. I didn’t feel bad when I got there but weariness would get to me later.

7.033 CW - 21 QSO’s:
Maximum available RF output today was 5 watts. I often wish that the FT817 had been made to run about 20W but it was one of those days when conditions are just about as good as they could possibly be. Almost half of the incoming reports were 599 and judging by the way my meter ‘needle’ was holding up the white flag, I believe they were genuine.

Once again ‘G’ stations were the strongest, completely drowning out the ones from Europe during the initial call-ins. Even so the 5 Watts reached all parts as follows: Fourteen G & GW stations plus DL, OE, ON, HB9 & PA.

The one S2S was with Jurg DL/HB9BIN/P on DM/BW-461 Napberg - 641m / 6 points. Other callers included DL4FDM Fritz who I haven’t worked for a while, ON4CAP Andre, OE8SPW, PA0B and ON4FI. The ‘QSY to 7.132 SSB’ was picked up by Roy G4SSH and posted.

7.132 CW - 22 QSO’s:
G0RQL was first in and Don usually puts out a strong signal on whatever band. The husband and wife pair M3NHA & M6NHA Tony & Sara made it too. G3WFK gave my 5 Watts a 59 plus 20 dB report! Conditions were almost freak. If I’d carried QRO on this big round, I’d have been seriously miffed regarding the increased effort. From the 22 stations worked, 20 were from UK. From Europe came PA3FYG and ON7KJW.

While I was packing up, my phone rang. It was Phil G4OBK alerting me to some up-coming WOTA/ SOTA activity the next day and asking if QSO’s might be possible. I wasn’t sure until later where his unfamiliar planned summits were located but he seemed pleased when I said I’d be on Skiddaw the next day.

Total QSO’s for LD27 were 43.

Route from LD27 to LD11:
After LD27 it’s back to Boredale Hause and upward at first, on the Angle Tarn path at NY 4085 1568. Once you know you’re on it, the path is easy to follow via NY 4111 1493, NY 4128 1450 passing Angle Tarn to the east at NY 4177 1453. Satura Crag is gained at NY 4221 1380 but it’s easy to fall for the Rest Dodd path instead of the one to The Knott. By NY 4357 1286 the way to LD11 is fairly obvious.

HIGH STREET, G/LD-011, 828m, 8pts. 15:44 to 16:18. 8 deg. C. 3 mph wind. Overcast & low-cloud. (IO84NL, WAB: NY41) FT817ND 5W QRP into a half wave vertical on 2m-FM only.

The walk to High Street seemed to go on and on with me getting slower and slower as the lack of sleep took its toll. As a distraction, I tried the DAB radio for the test match at Edgbaston but it had been abandoned due to three completely washed out days! Here I was in the Lake District of all places and not even damp while the rest of the country were getting a ‘drowning.’ When the DAB cut off, I tried Radio Cumbria on FM. At least there would be good WX warnings.

While fiddling with the ‘entertainment’ I inadvertently walked half way up Rest Dodd and had to do a cross country back down to the path. It was wasted energy that could be ill afforded. The climb up The Knott was the worst part and then some descent further on dampened the spirits with the knowledge that this would have to be ‘made good’ later.

The final push to High Street’s deserted trig point was all done in low-cloud and barely any wind. I erected the 2m half wave and flopped down thankfully on a large flat stone. A half eaten packet of tomato flavoured crisps, rejected by my grandson a few days before, revived me sufficiently for the activation. There was no question of putting it on 40m. 2FM would have to do the job in the 30 minutes available. Sorry to disappoint but sometimes these decisions must be made on the spot.

145.400 FM - 11 QSO’s:
With one minute allotted to each QSO and 5 Watts from the IC-E90 to a half-wave vertical, the following stations were logged: G1FEU, MM1MPB, G4ZRP, G1OHH, G0HRT, G0HRT, M0XSD, G4WHA/A, G6ODU, G1KLZ, G0TDM and 2E0GEO. 2m is a friendly band and the nice clear copy made it undemanding. Incoming signal reports were in the range 52 to 59. All stations were 57 or stronger to me. When Geoff G4WHA calls in, it is best to work him as soon as possible. Geoff runs a shop and gets only the odd minute or two between customers. A quick QSO is of the essence.

The walk back to Hartsop was completed in 1hr-7 min by 17:25 and I was thankful to be back in the B&B at Keswick by 6pm. It had been a hard day but tomorrow was destined to be easier.

Total QSO’s for LD11 were just 11.

TUESDAY 12-Jun-12: SKIDDAW G/LD-004.

SKIDDAW, G/LD-004, 931m (10 pts). 12:21 to 15:49. Overcast,10C. Wind 8 mph. (IO84KP, WAB: NY22) Orange phone coverage. FT817ND 5W QRP.

I remember doing the first SOTA activation of this one in 2002 so it remains a firm favourite. Frank G3RMD is correct; it does resemble a vast slag heap but on the other hand it is a ten-pointer and England’s easiest one too. The quickest route - 75 minutes - is from the high car park to the SE but the walking group had other ideas today. We were to climb from the A591 via the Ravenstone Hotel (the path starts at NY 23557 29625 - park in the 3-car layby 100m south) and a welcome change it would be from sweating up the ‘motorway’ on the sunny side of the hill. Furthermore the company was welcome after the many solo ascents of the past.

The choice of HF QRP was based not on the real requirements of the day but on the aftermath of a the hard slog of the day before. Regrettably, HF QRO would have been easy enough following a good night’s sleep.

Route to LD4:
Ascend the steep path through trees from the A591 at NY 23557 29625. Leave the trees for a path beside a fence at NY 23706 29714 and follow up to a right fork at NY 23828 29980. This path gives access to the Ullock Ridge path via a zig at NY 24003 30110. Follow the ridge up from the path junction at NY 24090 30020, over Ullock Pike NY 24450 28750 and Longside Edge to a point NE of Carl side at Carl side Tarn NY 25589 28233 (no more than a muddy patch today.) From there a slant-path takes you steeply up a gravelly surface to Skiddaw’s rocky summit ridge.

Ullock Pike WOTA-98:
As a result of Phil’s phone call of the day before, I put out a few calls with the H/H to G4OBK on 2m-FM on our way up Ullock Pike. Phil was duly contacted and as he was on his way round several outlying Wainwright tops that day, persuaded me to activate Ullock Pike on the way up to Skid. By the time we reached Ullock two of us (a man called Roger and I) were some 10 minutes ahead of the group. In the time available I worked three stations with the handheld as follows: 2E0MIX/P Derek on SOTA LD9 Grasmoor; G4OBK/P Phil on LDO94 and MM1MPB Mark in Annan.

Meanwhile one of our number, Roger was sitting quietly behind me but he must have been listening. When the others caught up, he related his impression of the proceedings to them. ‘I didn’t understand a word of it.’ ‘It was all foxtrots, echos and nines with Q this and Q that.’ It’s interesting to see what others think of us radio buffs but if they get some amusement from it, who am I to argue? The incredulity was to continue later on Skiddaw when they saw both the HF and VHF stations fully deployed but it was all good natured stuff as it always is.

After detaching myself from the others at Carl Side Tarn, I arrived at the LD4 trig point at 12:21. The group ascent had taken 2 hrs-25 minutes.

145.400 FM -3 QSO’s:
Just before arriving at the summit I worked three stations with the H/H and helical: G0EEB* Dave on WOTA21, G4OBK Phil and G4WHA Geoff. (*G4EEB is just a guess. No log sheet was available at the time.)

7.032 CW - 20 QSO’s:
After setting up 50m N of the trig point at NY 2603 2916 where there is a little vegetation to assist mast erection, I got to work on 40CW with the 5 Watts available. Out of 20 worked only five were G stations. Countries worked were as follows: G, ON, DL, PA, HB9, OE, OK, OM & S51. Considering the low power, reports were not all that bad but at over an hour, it perhaps took longer than it might have done with QRO.

In the middle of this session and on a frequency of 145.300 MHz FM, I worked G4OBK/P on Watch Hill LD54 / LDO89. When I returned to 40m I’d lost the frequency but reagained it after a few CQ’s. By the end of the session at 13:26 BST, the group left the summit after coming over to ‘marvel’ at the hardware. Not long afterwards, a lone French lady arrived also full of curiosity but not knowing much English. After some sign language I blurted out the only French word I could think of at the time, ‘Maison?’ I found out she was from Paris but we didn’t get that much further with the radio side of things.

7.132 SSB - 3 QSO’s:
As far as I know Roy G4SSH picked up the QSY and posted it but despite that, this session was almost a washout. Perhaps conditions changed but I did manage to work G0TDM John, OM7DX Steffan and G3RMD Frank. The latter two struggled with my meagre signal in QSB.

After calling CQ to no avail, I gave up when a young couple came curiously up to the station. They had winessed a similar setup on a remote summit in Scotland and asked what it was all about. I talked to them for about 15 minutes and mentioning An Teallach, they said they’d been on it a few days previous. They took more than the usual passing interest and since there were few time constraints on my part that day, I was only too happy to explain everything from the rig, frequencies, the antenna and in response to their the desire to perhaps try the hobby, a short intro to the Foundation licence. They said goodbye and walked away discussing the merits of SOTA between them.

10.118 CW - 11 QSO’s:
Poor reports on SSB with QRP indicates a band change and a return to CW. A full hour had passed since the CW session on 40 and I only had three 40m SSB QSO’s to show for it. Most of the incoming reports on 30m were in the range 339 to 449 but nevertheless 11 callsigns were added to the log, starting with PA0FBI and ending with OM7OM. All stations except G4WSB Bill and G3VQO Les were from Europe.

145.400 FM - 9 (additional) QSO’s:
Following my abysmal efforts on 40m SSB, it was hoped that a return to 2m-FM might in some way make up for it. With 5 Watts to a half-wave vertical the following stations were logged: G1OHH Sue; M0XSD Colin; G0TDM John; M0MOL/M Gareth (M6S-J4); G4UXH Colin; 2E0MIX/P Derek on Crag Hill LDW24 / HLD12; MI3FEZ Pat Belfast; GM3VMB Peter Lockerbie who I had a ‘long-time-no-hear’ conversation with and finally M0XAT Malcolm.

70.400 FM - 2 QSO’s:
Using around 3 Watts to an extended 2m helical and counterpoise from the IC-E90, I worked G4UXH Colin in Milnethorpe and G4WHA Geoff in Penrith. At that point the rig’s battery discharged and cut me off, though it was time to leave anyway.

It took 25 minutes to pack up all the equipment before an uneventful 70 minute descent via Ullock Pike; the route used in the morning. I was back at the A590 layby by the Ravenstone Hotel by 19:59 and into Keswick before 17:30.

Total QSO’s for LD4 were 49.

WEDNESDAY 13-Jun-12: KNOTT G/LD-023.

KNOTT, G/LD-023, 710m (6 pts) 12:28 to 15:48. Overcast until later, 9 Deg.C, wind 5mph. LOC: IO94KQ - WAB: NY23. Phone coverage unknown. IC706-2G QRO.

On the 13th, the group announced a sortie to Great Scar Fell, a little-visited high point north of Knott, with a start point on the C-road just south of Orthwaite NY 2522 3384. We took the track heading SE from the road and at NY 2607 3264 under Brockle Crag, made a bear left off the track for a path just to the left side of the wall. This is followed via NY 2653 3275 and NY 2714 3288, eventually to a ruinned bield at NY 2749 3292. On the way we photographed some hardy cattle; a herd of Belted Galloways, which have replaced sheep in some upland areas.

The valley ahead containing Burntodd Gill, is the conduit to head for from the bield. A discernable path follows the stream mostly along its left bank and goes via NY 2761 3304 to a junction with the Trusmador Valley at NY 2793 3339.

You could be forgiven for assuming that Frozenfell Gill would be closely followed from here but that is not a good way because of the steep sided nature of the Frozenfell valley east of Trusmador. Much better to take to the Meal Fell hillside and follow the path marked on the 25k map, which rapidly assumes a commanding position above the gill and passes via NY 2793 3344, NY 2834 3353 and NY 2867 3371. As you approach the col between Meal Fell and Great Sca Fell the path bends left (NW) to join a wider, grassy path which connects the twin summits of the aforementioned peaks. Up to now height gain has been graded in an undemanding way. Not so for the final approach to Great Sca Fell where the real work of the day is done. Once up Gt SF and turning south, only another 1000m walking and 72m of ascent is required to reach LD23.

With some determination Skiddaw (LD-04) could be added via Little Calva and Bakestall as I did in 2007 but this year we’d crossed it off the day prior.

7.032 CW - 20 QSO’s:
I have found things difficult on VHF from this QTH in the past but today I was carrying HF QRO. I can’t remember there being any phone coverage in the past so I didn’t try. Once the kit was deployed a quick call to the ever vigilant G4SSH Roy on 7.032 did the trick and I was duly spotted. Using a power of about 30 Watts, with excursions to full power for the Swiss stations, I worked seven ‘G’ stations along with: ON, DL, EI, PA, HB9 and F. Conditions were not as good as on some previous days but the 20 stations were worked in 25 minutes. At the end I checked 7.132 and it was occupied so I announced a QSY to 7.141 SSB but QSB must have wiped out the QRG.

7.141 - Nil QSO’s:
Twenty minutes of intermittent CQ’s on here produced nothing but I did at least get a lunch break. I was due on 20m next so decided to go there asap.

14.058 CW - 18 QSO’s:
After setting a power of 40 Watts a CQ on 20m evoked an immediate response from Steffan OM7DX. I thought this band would be better than 40m for the further away European stations but I also worked ‘G’ stations in the form of G3WSX, G3RDQ and G0GGU. Europe did take advantage of this rare 20m excursion as follows: OM, OE, HB9, DL, PA and OH. At the end I needed 100 Watts and a little determination to bring in DK7ZH.

7.160, 7.141, 7.143 SSB - 25 QSO’s:
With battery power, a QRO rig and time to spare, despite the earlier session being a failure, I wasn’t about to let 40m SSB get away without a fight. There was no WAB net running - I later found out that the skip had changed and they’d lost one another - but a CQ on their net freq of 7.160 produced a good report from MS0SIA/M on his way to work North Uist grid squares. Barry was the strongest HF/M I 'd heard in ages and we were to have a good conversation. I also worked his other half Roberta 2M0RBQ followed by Bill in Glenco GM3ZRT. Bill is someone I’d met on the air from the summit of GM/WS-200 Pap of Glenco in 2006. After I’d climbed down we met face to face in Glencoe Village the next day. This is when he told me that there was a relatively easy path up the Pap. I wish I’d known. The northern route I’d used was terrible, especially in the dark with low-cloud and rain.

After Bill I QSY’d to 7.141 and called CQ. EI7BA, John in Cork replied and to cut a long story short indirectly alerted the SOTA chasers via a spot on the DX cluster. I also sorted out an aerial fault at this time. One of the open 40m links must have been still touching the outer 80m section. Once this was fixed the signal to John improved dramatically. Once in the company of chasers things suddenly started to happen rapidly and 21 of them were worked in under half an hour. With one exception EI7CC Pete, all 25 stations encountered on here were 'G’s. As the end of the activation was approaching and conditions were not that good, 100 watts was the power used for much of this session.

70.450 FM - 3 QSO’s:
Using around 3 Watts to an extended 2m helical and counterpoise from the IC-E90, MM1BHO Rich; G0TDM John and G4WHA/A Geoff in Penrith were easily worked.

145.400 FM - 3 QSO’s:
I reworked John and Geoff on here with the addition of MM1MPB. Mark mentioned that he was doing a sponsored bike ride to help a little girl in his area who has cerebral palsy so he was certainly worth sponsoring.

In Conclusion:
As is to be expected with only one radio buff in nine, the routes chosen by group leader David didn’t include many SOTA’s. Again we managed ‘bend’ the routes satisfactorily and I only walked solo on one day.

HF worked resonably well and only one summit (LD11) was done with 2m-FM only. There was no 160m or 80m operation. At least there were no QSO’s on those bands. Roy G4SSH did try 3.557 CW one day but nil heard. With summit durations limited by meal times, the most comfortable method is one day one summit. Short-notice alerting was given via mobile phone to Roy G4SSH, for most activations but I did make use of free internet use at Lakeland Plastics and later at the B&B.

B&B was £35 pppn at the Sandon on Southey Street, Keswick and evening meals at 7pm (two courses & a drink) at the Casa Bella Pizza & Pasta place (for instance) ran at about £20 each inc tip. It’s expensive but that’s how it is in the Lake District. Interestingly if you like statistics, each SOTA point ran out at around £10 or almost double that if you include the XYL. No matter, we really enjoyed the break and the WX, with low winds, little sun or rain and single figure temperatures, could hardly have been better.

A big thank you to G4SSH for the ‘SOTA Control’ service. Thanks to all chasers and the spotters: G4SSH, GM4WHA, G4OBK, G0TRB and OM7DX. Your help in making this a successful trip was much appreciated.

STATS:
LD8: 40m CW-SSB, 2FM.
LD27: 40m CW-SSB.
LD11: 2m-VHFM only.
LD4: 40m CW-SSB, 30m CW, 2&4FM.
LD23: 40m CW-SSB, 20m CW, 2&4FM.

LD8 solo:
7.9km - 643m ascent - 2hrs walking - 4.3hrs gross - 71 QSOs.

LD27 & LD11 group/solo:
18.7km - 1,026m ascent - 5hrs walking - 7hrs gross - 54 QSOs.

LD4 group/solo:
9.9km - 975m ascent - 3.3hrs walking - 7hrs gross - 49 QSOs.

LD23 group/solo:
13.2km - 565m ascent - 3.4hrs walking - 7.8hrs gross - 69 QSOs.

TOTALS:
49.7km (31 mls) with 3,209m (10,528ft) ascent. 13.7hrs walking - 26hrs gross.
243 QSO’s - 36 Activator points – approx 350 miles driven.

73, John
(G4YSS using Scarborough Special Events Group Club Call)
GQ0OOO/P on 10th June and GX0OOO/P for the remainder.

Table:
June SOTA SUMMIT Ref:G/ Pt. Time (BST) With:
10th Blencathra Centre Car Pk-285m 13:03 Solo
10th BLENCATHRA-868m LD-008 8 14:12-16:27 Solo
10th Blencathra Centre Car Pk-285m 17:19 Solo
Bands: 40m-CW/SSB, 2m-FM, QRO on HF
Totals: 7.9km - 643m ascent - 2hrs walking - 4.3hrs gross - 71 QSOs.

11th Hartsop Car Park-190m 10:29 Group
11th Boredale Hause Group
11th PLACE FELL 657m LD-027 4 11:58-13:23 Solo
11th Angle Tarn - The Knott Solo
11th HIGH STREET 828m LD-011 8 15:44-16:18 Solo
11th Hartsop Car Park-190m 17:25 Solo
Bands: LD27:40m-CW/SSB. LD11:2m-FM, QRP-5W
Totals: 18.7km - 1026m ascent - 5hrs walking - 7hrs gross - 54 QSOs.

12th A 591 Ravestone Hotel-104m 09:56 Group
12th Ullock Pike LDW98 (3QSO’s) LDW98 11:11-11:31 Group
12th SKIDDAW-931m LD-004 10 12:21-15:49 Group
12th Ullock Pike 16:19 Solo
12th A 591 Ravestone Hotel-104m 16:59 Solo
Bands: 40-30-4-2m usual modes, QRP-5W
Totals: 9.9km - 975m ascent - 3.3hrs walking - 7hrs gross - 49 QSOs.

13th Orthwaite-228m 10:18 Group
13th Via Trusmador to Gt.Sca Fell 12:05-12:12 Group
13th KNOTT-710m LD-023 6 12:28-15:48 Solo
13th Orthwaite-228m 17:07 Solo
Bands: 40-20-4-2m usual modes, QRO on HF
Totals: 13.2km - 565m ascent - 3.4hrs walking - 7.8hrs gross - 69 QSOs.

TOTALS (for four days) - 5 SOTAs - 36 pts - 243 QSO’s:
Walked: 49.7km (31 mls) with 3,209m (10,528ft) ascent.
13.7hrs walking - 26hrs gross.