G4YSS: Ben Griam Mor GM/NS-089, 1st Act'n 14-09-13

G4YSS: First Activation Report - GM/NS-089, 14-09-13.

BEN GRIAM MOR - GM/NS-089 - 2 points. FIRST ACTIVATION for SOTA. 97 QSO’s.
GM4YSS/P and SSEG Clubcall GS0OOO/P. HF/ VHF QRO on 80-60-40-30-20 and 2-FM.
All times: BST (UTC plus 1hr UOS as z).

Fourth SOTA in the series GM/NS-082; NS-107; NS-071 & NS-089 from Dornoch Hotel Sep-13.
(See other reports).

EQUIPMENT:
ICOM IC706-2G - HF & VHF QRO with CW key in mic.
Link dipole for 80m thru 20m on a 5m CFC mast with 1m end sticks.
Home-Brew tuneable loading coils for 160m.
Vertical J-Pole for 2m FM.
2 x 6Ah & 1 x 4.3Ah Li-Po’s for IC706.
IC-E90 4-Band FM, 5W H/H with 7.4V /1.3 Ah Li-Ion detachable battery. (Reserve - not used)
QRO pack: 13kg (28.7 pounds) including 0.5 litre drinks, food, Primaloft jacket & umbrella.

INTRODUCTION:
This expedition was the fourth during a 7-night self-drive/ four SOTA holiday at the Dornoch Hotel from 9th to 17th of September 2013. (SOTAs worked in chronological order and separately reported: Ben Dhorian NS82; Ben Horn NS107; Carn a Choin Deirg NS71 and Ben Griam Mor NS89.)

Unlike the previous activation (NS71) I have had my eye on these twin hills for a few years. Ben Griam Mor GM/NS-089 and Ben Griam Beg GM/NS-091 are in the far north of Scotland and though not particularly high, stick up obtrusively from a wide area of comparitively low lying land. Initially, the plan was to activate these as a pair and it didn’t look difficult until I really got into investigating and making routes for them. After that, activatiing both of them in one trip wasn’t quite so obvious.

For one thing the drive from our base for the week; The Dornoch Hotel would take around 80 minutes each way. Secondly, none of the websites I’d used to gather information mentioned much in the way of paths. Bashing across rough ground for extended distances had been a feature of the previous day’s activation of NS71 and the terrain surrounding the Griams seemed similar to what I’d already experienced.

Basically it boiled down to simple choices and two options. 1) Do I want to walk almost 10 miles over trackless wastes for the fourth day running and take QRP for two rushed activations after rising at 4am? OR 2) Would it be preferable to have breakfast with my XYL, breeze up and down NS89 on a 2 x 3km walk and ‘give it the works’ with four hours of QRO!? At this point in time, the choice was not that difficult to make. NS91 could wait for another day.

The start point seemed obvious from the map and the internet confirmed it as the point where a track takes off from the road, roughly 2km SW of the hill. The afternoon of 12th of September had been wet so I had taken the opportunity to drive 100 miles putting WAB squares on 7.160 SSB and at the same time, checking out the start points for NS14 and NS89. On these roads, this drive took well over three hours.

The track, which goes north as far as a boat house on the shore Loch Coire nam Mang, looked more grassy than gravelly but despite it going at a tangent it could still be useful for gaining height before taking on the rough ground between it and the summit. One snag was that the road was too narrow to park a car but I did find a convenient off road area at NC 7868 3779. This was being used to store road gravel but it could also take up to three cars if parked at 90 degrees to the road.

EXECUTION:
The drive via Helmsdale took from 09:00 to 10:20 and a phone call to Roy G4SSH enabled him to pre-announce my intentions once again. The satnav was acting silly for the second day running. It wanted to take me via Rogart, Lairg and Altnaharra and only gave up this nonesense at a point west of Helmsdale. The rucksack first needed repacking; QRP out - QRO in. Today there were no midges to interfere with this process and at this stage, the sun was shining.

ROUTE UP:
I was underway by 10:43, initially walking the 70m or so from the parking place at NC 78683 37787 described above, turning right onto the track at NC 7864 3785. Walking the track was easy as far as NC 78914 38796, which is roughly at the 240m contour. Leaving the track behind I turned right to take a 1km bee-line for the spur which sticks out from the hill in a WNW direction; hitting it at NC 79955 39043. On the way across the rough ground with fairly short vegetation, I found only short traces of paths or were they just the effects of water flow? It wasn’t too wet but this at the end of a good summer.

Once onto the hill itself, the character changed dramatically to firm ground with gravelly areas which resemble paths. On the steeper sections I did find a path of sorts which zig-zagged upwards but navigation was easy via NC 80132 38983; NC 80322 38932 and NC 80456 38921 to the large combined summit cairn and shelter at NC 80662 38929. The ascent had taken 65 minutes. The shelter is substantial, at least 2 metres tall and designed to protect from westerly winds. The summit is clothed with grass and low alpine plants, the surroundings strewn with rocks which are mainly brittle sandstone.

Seconds after arriving, a glance at the western sky signified a delay and the shelter became a welcome refuge from quite a heavy downpour. As an afterthought I had tied a large umbrella to the rucksack. Cowering under this while seated on a flat rock, I had little choice but to wait out the weather but the rain only abated after 25 minutes or so. There was barely sufficient time to get the HF dipole erected before the next shower came along.

BEN GRIAM MOR - GM/NS-089, 590m, 2 pts, 11:48 to 16:27. Wind 20 mph. Temp 7 deg C. Overcast/ sunshine/ showers at first. No low-cloud. No midges. Reliable EE (Orange) Mobile phone coverage. Hazy views. No previous SOTA activations. LOC: IO78XH, WAB: NC83.

7.032/ 7.033 CW - 38 QSO`s:
Just as the day before, the first three in the log were G4SSH, G0NUP and G4OOE. After these the rest were getting restless. The pileup was a big one. This was Saturday and I am not accustomed to weekend SOTA’ing. The many calls welded into a single note 10 seconds long from which I could read absolutely nothing. Eventually picking out DL8DXL the work started and 38 stations were logged in 50 minutes. There were two consecutive S2S’s. HB9DST/P Paul on HB/VS-112 and HB9BCB/P Heinz on HB/BE-108.

Entities worked were: G; DL; HB9; F; PA; OK; HA; ON and OM. Twelve stations were in the UK, the remainder in Europe. A QSY “1 UP” was required in the middle to clear another SOTA operation closeby which I thought I may have been causing QRM to. Roy overheard this, posting the QSY to 7.033. Most callers other than the two S2S’s and a few of the more distant Europeans, were 599 to me. Incoming reports of my 60 Watt signal ranged from 579 to 599 with a handful down at 449 etc.

One QSO was really difficult but fortunately this was near the end, by which time all the ‘big boys’ had been worked. OM1AX was a miniscule signal to me and the 229 report I gave him was somewhat generous. However, I eventually heard a report back from him and into the log went Vlado. I don’t know what was wrong but it sounded like he’d switched to the dummy load. He wasn’t that weak the day before.

7.163 SSB - 16 QSO`s:
I phoned Roy for a spot on 7.163 which was the only clear spot I could find. Had it not been for good phone coverage nobody would have found me up there. As it was, David M3XIE was there within a few seconds with a ‘59’ both ways.

From the 16 worked, 12 were UK stations including G6TUH; MM0USU; G0TDM; M0MDA; G0VWP; MW3PZO; GIOHH (Sue) G0VOF; GM4WHA; GOELJ and G4SSH. The closest station was Andy in Falkirk (USU) which proved the short skip conditions. Andy gave me a respectable 56.

The only S2S was with EC2AG/P Antonio on EA2/SS-017. This was as difficult an S2S as I can remember having but after several tries we eventually exchanged reports of 22/44, though the process took more than 5 minutes. Power was mostly 60 Watts with full power for the tricky ones.

10.122 CW – 18 QSO`s:
Once again with the dipole configured as a half-wave for 30m with the coax feed 1/3 from one end, I worked 18 stations as follows: G4SSH; F6ENO (Alian); G0VOF; YO2BP; DL5DKG; F5UBH/P; G0NUP; OK1DVM; G0NES; HA5MA; M6BLV; PA0WLB; PB3SM; DL7JSM; DL2LFH/P; GM4COX/P; EA2DT and G4OOE. Reports were mostly 599 outgoing whilst receiving on average 579.

The exception was GM4COX/P (229/339); too close for this band but I later discovered that Jack was on GM/SS-251 and therefore a 10 MHz S2S. I had initially logged the call as GM4KOX/P but should have put two and two together and realised the ‘K’ was actually a ‘C.’ Fast receding grey cells prevented this! The session took 23 minutes from 13:02z and 60 Watts was the power.

14.052.6 CW – 10 QSO`s:
Stations as follows: OM7OM; F6ENO; N4EX; OM1AX; VE2JCW; DL4TO; EA2DT; UY7IC; K3EL and OK1AZD. All these were strong to me. Reporting of my 60 Watt signal was mostly 579 to 599 with one 449. The dipole I was using does not cover bands above 14 MHz; so it was now down to 80m.

3.557 CW – 6 QSO:
The day before I had put this band on with QRP ‘more in hope than expectation’ but today I had 100 Watts available. I phoned Roy for a spot and called him on the band. As before his incoming signal was 589 over the 300 mile path from Scarborough which indicated that we could expect the same propagation conditions again today. Yesterday there was only Roy but would more chasers hear today’s more powerful signal despite the fact that I was 50km further north?

It didn’t take long to find out and I was pleased to work G0NUP Kevin in Scarborough; G3RMD Frank in Cheltenham; GM0AXY Ken in Edinburgh; G0VOF Mark in Blackburn and G4OOE Nick the third Scarborough station. Reports were mostly good or very good apart from a couple of readabilities below 5. Full power was used for these QSO’s.

3.724 SSB – 2 QSO`s:
Still with 100 Watts selected, I worked G4SSH and G4JZF Graham in Birmingham.

1.832 CW & 1.843 SSB - nil QSO’s:
After another spot by Roy, I called CQ on these two frequencies intermittently over a period of about 20 minutes from 14:15z but without result. This was nothing more or less than expected; I was way too far north to get QSO’s via SOTAwatch. The only way would have been to pre-arrange QSO’s using 2m-FM but there was little time left for that. Nevertheless, I set up the 2m aerial but left the dipole and it’s 160m loading coils in place for the 2m session, just in case.

145.400 FM - 1 QSO:
After unanswered CQ’s on S20 and S23, I hit the mother lode and heard no less a player than Robin GM7PKT/P, just finishing a QSO with a chaser on S16. Robin came straight back to my call with a 56 report. Working conditions were 50 Watts to my vertical half-wave and 5 Watts to the back of Robin’s beam. The antenna was mounted on a mast which was rammed into the top of the shelter. What could have been a more fitting QSO than to briefly join this celebration of 6,000 chaser points which had apparently occurred minutes before. Robin had chosen GM/CS-003 to do it - a hill 120km to the south of Ben Griam Mor.

There were more CQ’s on 145.500 and 145.575 but nothing further ensued. This resulted in little time and battery power left, with the chances of arranging anything for Top Band now dropping to zero. What could I usefully do now?

5.371.5 USB (FL) – 6 QSO`s:
Surely there must be one or two still desperate to work this one? I went through the available options and came up with a long lost friend - 60m. FE was occupied and I tried once to break in without success. A phone call to Roy soon had me posted on channel FL and Geoff GM4WHA came back to my first CQ to exchange 59 reports. Within two minutes I had Frank G3RMD in the log with a 57/55 exchange.

LA8BCA, Terje called in next. Good to tell how long it’s been since I was on 60; I didn’t even realise Norway had 60m. Our QSO was almost complete when the rig cut off. The two 6Ah Li-Po’s had finally given up. Luckily I had slipped a 4.3 into the rucksack side pocket just prior to setting off. Two minutes later I was back apologising to a bemused Terje who had taken my disappearance as ‘sudden and deep QSB.’ The last three stations worked were: Terry G0VWP; George GI4SRQ and Mick M0MDA in Leeds. No more callers, no more bands and no more time.

Descent:
Apart from wandering off track to take photos on the way down, this was a simple retrace and I was back to the car in 45 minutes arriving at 17:12.

ASCENT & DISTANCE:
423m (1,388ft) ascent / 6.4 km (4 miles).

CHRONOLOGY:
Left Dornoch Hotel: 09:00 (via A9 & Helmsdale)
Parked car: 10:20
Walk started: 10:43
GM/NS-089: 11:48 to 16:27
Returned to Car: 17:12
Drive: 17:20
Back at Dornoch: 18:30 (Cut thro’ Glenloth to A9)

Walking times: 65 min up / 45 min down. Total: 1hr-50 min.
Summit time: 4hr-39 min.
Time Car to Car: 6hr-24 min.
Gross time Hotel to Hotel: 9hr-30 min.

QSO`s
6 on 80m CW
2 on 80m SSB
6 on 60m USB
38 on 40m CW
16 on 40m SSB
18 on 30m CW
10 on 20m CW
1 on 2m FM
Total: 97 (QRO)

Battery utilisation: 12.5 Ah.

COMMENTS:
The second unactivated SOTA of the week was much easier than the first (NS71) from the walking viewpoint. It was also more successful with almost twice the QSO’s, an extra frequency band and more summit time. There were two reasons for the greater success; one was because it was done on a weekend and the other was the difference between 5 Watts and having up to 100W available. True, that’s only two and a bit '‘S’ Points but when someone is barely hearing you it makes all the difference.

I intended to use one of this week’s activations to try out a new 50W HF amplifier which I have recently bought from Amazon. I bench tested it in preparation but leaving a coax interconnect lead at home made this impossible.

A route of sorts was GPS marked but to be honest, you could do this one without much in the way of navigational aids so long as you could see it there in front of you, which was the case today. Yes, there is rough ground to cross with no path to follow but it’s only the kilometre or so between the track at the 240m ASL point and the western shoulder of the hill. This section is not particularly boggy or particularly uneven and the vegetation is not overly impeding.

Notwithstanding the above, adding neighbouring NS91 to today’s sortie would increase the work three or four fold. I had the necessary routes in my GPS for NS91 but I have no regrets about not tagging it on today as I could not have done such a thorough job on either summit and would have been limited to two short QRP operations.

As had been the case all week propagation on 40m, which was carrying the majority of SOTA traffic, was good for both inter-G and European chasers, though the G’s were always stronger. 30m was true to its reputation of getting in the chasers who are just too far away for 40 but there was actually short skip on 30 too. 20m gave the USA an opportunity with a bonus VE contact. 60m was a last minute idea which brought in the final half dozen chasers and the QSO with Robin GM7PKT/P on 2m-FM, while celebrating his ‘6k activator’ was special.

80m did better with QRO than with the single QRP contact of the day before. It seems to be almost dismissed by SOTA activators but eight QSO’s to the very far north of Scotland demonstrates that it can be worth a try.

For the third time in the week, 100 Watts to a low/ loaded dipole on 160 failed to deliver a single QSO. To reiterate, I think it’s best to arrange skeds in advance or locally on 2m-FM just prior to operating.

The weather was less than perfect for the first part of the activation but the combination of a great summit shelter and a large umbrella minimised the effects of two periods of driving rain. The views were good and there were no midges either at the car and certainly not on the summit, due to the wind.

For the fourth time Roy’s spotting had a major influence on the enhanced QSO count. He was there on the phone for QSY’s every time but that aside, he has the ability to guess my intentions with a fair degree of success and fill in missing information from experience, should the phone link fail.

THANKS to:
ALL STATIONS worked. Hope you were able to get a QSO but apologies if you didn’t. To G4SSH and G0VOF for spots. Once again, special thanks to Roy G4SSH for his invaluable telephone liaison/ spotting Service and Denise for the use of her car. One more day was left of the holiday but thankfully, it was a rainy one!

73, John G4YSS
Using GM4YSS/P and Scarborough Special Events Group Club call - GS0OOO/P.

Note-1: GM4YSS/P will be used in the database.
Note-2: This is the second of a series of four reports in non-chrono order. NS82 and NS107 will follow.
Note-3: Total miles driven (8 days): 1,262 at 48.4 mpg (Citreon C4 Picasso Diesel.)
Note-4: A ‘marathon’ 406 mile WAB mobile run took place on 16-09-13. Most grid squares between Dornoch and Scarborough were activated on 7.160 SSB using the IC706-2G to a mag-mount and home-brew loaded whip.

In reply to G4YSS:

Hi John,

Thanks for the excellent write-up & for the QSO’s from a previously un-activated summit :slight_smile: Looking back at my log I think I can say that I was very pleased to work you although judging by my writing I think I had probably had a few beers by the time you got to 80m Hi!

I did listen on Top Band but it was just too far for the conditions at the time but it was nice to catch you on 80m in any case. The surprise for me was that 30m worked so well over the distance as when I worked you on 40m I didn’t think I’d hear anything at all on 30. As it happened you were a cracking 599 despite what the Chilton Ionogram was telling me.

Sorry to miss you on 60m, a band I frequent a lot, but on this occasion I was not around Doh!

Incidentally, I’ve just worked a station (Friday 1915z)in Worcester on 2m FM from here via what looks like good tropo opening,it’s a shame there aren’t any UK activators out tonight using 2m, they would have had a ball! I know Mike 2E0YYY loves these openings.

Thanks again & best 73,

Mark G0VOF

Hi John,

Good report. However I noticed a mistake in your data. You stated that the height of this SOTA is 701m. This is too high for a 2 pointer in GM. All SOTA summits above 700m in GM are 4 pointers. the correct height for this SOTA summit is 590m.

Jimmy M0HGY

In reply to G4YSS:

The exception was GM4COX/P (229/339); too close for this band. The session took 23 minutes from 13:02z and 60 Watts was the power<

Yes John we got there - hi! As you mentioned the distance was close for 30M and as I suspected you were running a bit of ‘QRO’ - about 3W at my end and using my 40M V in a doublet configuration. What I was trying to get across was it was a S2S GM/SS-251 so if you didn’t get it you’ve won a watch - hi,hi!

All-in-all good report and one of these days I’ll get up ‘to the far North’ for some Activations.

Cheers and here’s to the next one!

Jack(;>J
GM4COX

In reply to G4YSS:

Thanks for the excellent report John - indeed not just this one as I found the one that you posted earlier to be most interesting.

The dipole I was using does not cover bands above 14 MHz; so it was now down to 80m.

Aha, not so. The 7MHz dipole should work on 21MHz. I’ve found that mine works well on the higher frequency with contacts made across the pond. It might be worthwhile you doing a test sometime to see whether the unequal leg arrangement that you use on occasions actually works on the higher frequencies.

I was really pleased to catch you on this one, the working week having prevented my appearance in the shack for the previous summits. Nowadays I have to battle with local QRM plus QRN that puts the “S meter” on the 857D to S9+ for much of the day, S9++ on occasion. I suspect that I will soon have to make the decision either to build some form of noise rejection phasing system or rather reluctantly abandon 40m altogether. It was a good job that you were S9 - I wouldn’t have heard you otherwise!

73, Gerald G4OIG

To All: Finally got around to answering these comments after a post-mountain ‘mountain’ of ‘office’ work.

Mark G0VOF:
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply. You are normally brimming with enthusiam but I did wonder at the time why you seemed extra animated! Now I know why. HI. Glad you got through to Roy OK but I don’t think he was hearing you that well with his vertical, though you were strong at my more distant QTH.

Yes 80 was a surprise; just double the freq of Top Band but what a difference. I could have saved the weight of 160m coils on four summits but you don’t know if you don’t try. In fact I only tried from three - not the QRP one. I thought I should have got a few more on 80m. 30m was excelling itself too.

60m was a pleasant change but I am a little nervous on there. I could easily come out with the club callsign by mistake or I could get a non-chaser who wants a technical chat when I don’t have the time. There’s always the leftover concern about an antenna description including orientation and SIMPO codes, though I think they have passed by as a 5 MHz requirement now.

Yes, openings on 2m are very nice but again you are likely to get non-chasers. That’s fine if you have the time / battery.

I don’t know what others have been doing but you may have a fairly easy 160m report this month! Thanks for listening on there though.

All the best and thanks for the useful spots as well as the QSO’s,
John.

Jimmy M0HGY:
Hiya Jimmy,
Thanks very much for pointing out that error. I don’t have anybody to proof read before posting which, at times allows, some howlers through. This particular error was left over from a ‘Save As’ on a previous report. It’s all too easy to look again and again but not see.
73, John.

Jack(;>J GM4COX:
Isn’t strange when mysteries are suddenly solved. It really shouldn’t have been a mystery to me; I had six sevenths of your familiar callsign and only had to fill in one CW dot on one letter. This, the brain failed to do I’m afraid, either at the time or later. In fact I have just corrected the log now that the database is back on. It now reflects S2S with you GM/SS-251. I can finally thank you properly for the QSO and S2S. A pleasure as always. I will long remember our 2005 chat - LD1 to NS1 with the irony and coincidence of role the reversal.

Well done on your exploits on Cairngorm 4,000 footers lately, I am exceedingly envious.
Looking forward to our next QSO.
73, John.

Gerald G4OIG
Hi Gerald,
You are showing a lot of tenacity if you read even one of my reports, so well done for just that! They are all much the same. Secondly, thanks for the QSO. I remember you said something about it being a difficult copy for you. Easy for me, as you will readily affirm.

It’s a real pity when we are almost hounded off the air by noise. If I chose SOTA chasing as I may one day have to do, it would only be worth trying on VHF and that from 100ft ASL in a valley would bring only bring occasional success. Either that or target great distances on upper HF which is not noisy. (Well not yet!). The QRN on 80/ 40 hovers around the 8 or 9 here too. I don’t know how Roy G4SSH copes only 200m away from me but he seems to fair quite well with his ground mounted vertical until winter when ‘thermostat season’ arrives.

Yes, I’d momentarily forgotten the three lambda by two rule but I think 21 might have gone too far to reach any further chasers in any quantity. There were only a handful on 20m. If I remember from some early experimentation, a dipole cut for about 6.9MHz works better on 21MHz. I think it’s to do with end effects .

It is quite surprising how well the offset 40m/ 20m selection works on 30m but it needs to be the right way round. 20m selected on the ‘hot’ (coax inner connected) side and 40 on the other (braid) side. Going by memory I don’t think it worked so well the wrong way round. (I don’t use a balun).

‘noise rejection phasing system.’ I wonder if there really is anything practical we can do to fight this? See you from the next one.
73, John.

Thanks to all for comments.
73, John G4YSS.

SOTA or WAB next? Don’t know but tides look OK for 6th & 20th Oct then no Sundays 'till late December. No tables available for 2014 yet.

In reply to G4YSS:

60m was a pleasant change but I am a little nervous on there. I could easily come out with the club callsign by mistake

Easily overcome by getting a 5MHz NoV for the club licence. This became possible at the last round of changes.

In reply to G4YSS:

If I remember from some

early experimentation, a dipole cut for about 6.9MHz works better on
21MHz. I think it’s to do with end effects .

Don’t forget the “coathanger” method of getting fifteen on a forty metre dipole: fixing a loop of stiff wire about the size of an opened out wire coathanger at the fifteen metre high voltage points on the dipole, this tunes up fifteen and does not effect the forty metre resonance. An old trick that I suspect is getting forgotten!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1MAJ:
Thanks Martyn,
I will relay that to the chairman, if he hasn’t seen it already.
Thanks for the S2S.
73, John.

In reply to G8ADD:
Hi Brian,
I can’t forget it because I’ve never heard of it. Thanks for letting me know. Further research required on my part but I don’t know how practical that would be on a summit. Interesting nonetheless.
73, John.

In reply to G4YSS:
After a quick sort through my bookshelf I found a version of it on page 19 of “Backyard Antennas” by Peter Dodd, G3LDO. He doesn’t call it the coathanger method, I think I got that from somewhere else! For SOTA use I would set it up using a metal insert out of a large "chocablock"to slide the loop to find the resonance point and then solder the loops on, but that is not going to work too well if you use insulated wire for the antenna!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
An ebay search revealed - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Backyard-Antennas-Dodd-Peter-Paperback-Book-/300977594355?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item4613a99ff3

Also available on Amazon.

John.

In reply to G4YSS:

That’s the one, John, quite a good book though I think he has a new one that supercedes it.

Brian

In reply to G4YSS:

So that’s why our QSO came up as “unconfirmed” - I have logged you as GS0OOO/p and never heard your personal callsign. It gets a bit confusing if you do not put the callsign used in the QSO in the database …

vy 73, Jan-Martin

In reply to DL2LFH:

So that’s why our QSO came up as “unconfirmed” - I have logged you as
GS0OOO/p and never heard your personal callsign.

I would tend to agree (I too worked this activation and my QSO won’t match either).

The problem is presumably that two different callsigns were actually used in the activation owing to the lack of a 5MHz NoV for the club licence. The interactive method of entering an activation requires the callsign used to be entered once at the beginning. The CSV/TSV method takes the callsign from each line, but I don’t know how the database treats it if the lines are not consistent.

I think I might have been inclined to split the log and enter it as two separate activations. This is presumably not an issue for scoring as plenty of QSOs were made. I’m not sure what would happen if you got, say, 2 contacts on 5MHz under a personal call and 2 contacts on another band with a club call.

In principle the same issue could apply on a “border” summit in the UK where it would be entirely possible to have to change prefix mid-activation. Indeed, the best operating spot for VHF might well be on the other side of the border from the best HF spot.

In reply to M1MAJ:

There’s a degree of deliberate vagueness in a lot of things assumed by the database code. The principle being the tighter the assumptions the more likely someone will come up with a valid use case that needs the restrictions relaxing, i.e. I would have to do something. So the alternative approach is taken, the database code make fewer assumptions and the results depend on how the user “drives” the process.

For a CSV upload which contains multiple activations the rules for deciding when one activation stops and another starts is based on changes between lines. Any change in summit reference between lines is assumed to be the end of one activation and the start of the next. That is the case for V1 and V2 formats. V1 format files also assume a date change signifies the end of an activation (but that can be overidden.) The first line provides the date, summit ref and callsign that will be used for the activation. Subsequent changes to callsign are simply ignored. When the condition for a new activation is met, the next line provides the date, summit ref and callsign. This accounts for the overwhelming majority of upload cases.

The exceptions are repeat activations on different days and activations of a summit using different callsigns. These occur for a miniscule number of cases and here the activator needs to separate out the logs into chunks of data that are valid and perform multiple uploads. This is correct in my view in that these corner cases require the uploader to be explicit rather than writing convoluted rules to figure out what the activator wants.

In the case of some QSOs using a club call and some QSOs using a personal call from the same summit, the onus is on the activator to aggregate all the QSOs of each call into their own files and upload them separately. Given that only 3 regular club calls spring to mind (W5OTA, NS0TA and Gx0OOO) I think pushing the onus to their users and make it simple for everyone else is the right decision.

We could have had control lines including in the data but that makes it hard for people to merely export from their log program. They’d have to enter those lines in someway. Easier to put the exceptions into their own files.

Andy
MM0FMF