G/WB-004 Titterson Clee Quick Report

After making the the thoroughly depressing, almost two hour journey from Stoke-on-Trent, I arrived at an empty car park. Stepping out of the nice warm car and feeling the blast of ice cold wind didn`t make me feel any better, either. Ah well, onward and upward as they say. Loaded up with the 857, 22Ah SLAB, triple 5/8 colinear, swaged poles and all the other various garbage, it took me about 15 minutes to reach the trig.

About 20 minutes later, the colinear was in the air and I put out a CQ on 145.500. First out of the trap was Matt G8XYJ, my first radio contact of 2013. Matt duly spotted me and I got to work the chasers. Let me say, 2m was not as busy as normal. No doubt plenty of hams preferring a duvet day instead of radio, after the new years eve revelry!

At about midday, I decided to QSY to 20m and once again, Matt G8XYJ came to the rescue and spotted me. G1STQ was supposed to spot me, but of course, he went on the missing list :wink:

If 2m was quieter than normal, 20m most certainly was not. Within a couple of minutes I was in the middle of a big pile-up. There were calls coming in from all over the place. Barry N1EU was one of the first in, with a huge signal as was Rich N4EX. The pile-up rumbled on and every so often, I had to ask for calls outside of EU in order to give the DX chasers a chance. Plenty of Stateside chasers were soon in the log, all armchair copies with probably one exception.

Anyhow, the pile-up lasted about 90 minutes in which time a 144 calls were logged. A quick switch to 15m produced just 3 calls, 2 Stateside and a nice contact with SU, certainly not one I’ve worked on a SOTA activation before. By now it was getting chilly, so a few more 2m calls logged before packing up.

Great days radio. Nice to have Carolyn G6WRW/P, join me on the summit working the 5 meg and 40m bands.

Just when you think SOTA can’t get any better, another rabbit appears from the hat!

Big thanks to all the chasers, especially Stateside for showing so much patience

232 stations worked…

85 on 2m FM,
144 on 20m SSB
3 on 15m SSB

73 and HNY
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike
Thanks for being my unexpected first SOTA contact of 2013.

The XYL and I were having a non-SOTA day out walking a stretch of the Cotswolds Way. I had taken my Alinco HH with me for the high part of the walk - just in case. When we got to that part I switched the HH on and there you were, an absolutely end stopping signal. I was on a ridge at 205m just above Selsley - about 50 miles SSE of you. I couldn’t hear any of the stations coming back to you.

Anyway thanks for the nioe chat. Happy New Year 2013 !

Andrew, G4AFI

In reply to 2E0YYY:
At about midday, I decided to QSY to 20m and once again, Matt G8XYJ came to the rescue and spotted me. G1STQ was supposed to spot me, but of course, he went on the missing list :wink:

Sorry mike ive got to stick up for john G1STQ it was me daveM3XIE who was going to spot you stopped on 475 with john till 12.10 and never heard you come back poor old john always gets the stick lol best 73s Dave M3XIE

In reply to G4AFI:

My pleasure, Andrew. IIRC, I gave you a 59 report too. G/WB-004 Titterstone Clee is an excellent VHF spot, although if I were a contester, G/SP-004 would probably edge it for me.

73 HNY
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to -M3XIE:
Thank you Dave : At least somebody appreciates me :wink:

You try your best, but it just isn’t good enough for some. Especially when they tell you to have a go on Shining Tor only to be greeted by weather that can only be described as eminating from the gates of Hades.

And then rubbing salt into the wound - describing their “lovelly blue sky” activation.

Its a good job we are (were) friends :slight_smile:

Hope you got your Tigertronics issue sorted Dave.

Next time Micky, next time…

Now where did I put my 22amp slab battery?

In reply to G1STQ:

… Shining Tor only to be greeted by weather that can only be described as eminating from the gates of Hades.

I know the Tor has its own micro-climate, but to be near roasted alive in January? Seems the place to be, considering all this driek weather of late. There was plenty of that up in GM/SS last Friday! Almost broke out the bothy bag!!! :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Ah, Gerald, you haven’t been reading your Milton! The innermost circles of hell are frozen.

Brian G8ADD

Yet another visit to G/WB-004 Titterstone Clee on Saturday, only this time it was a change of venue due to the threat of bad WX in North Wales. Once again, the mind numbing drive to Ludlow, via the lousy road system which infests Shropshire :frowning:

On arriving at the car park, I picked up the double 5/8 colinear, 3 swaged poles and a fishing pole for HF. For once, I couldn`t be asked to carry the triple 5/8 colinear.

The WX was dry albeit very cold, so, I bungeed the colinear up to the steel post opposite the radar station. As usual, the colinear cruised through the the 2m chasers working with ease, well into Lincolnshire and as far South as Heathrow. A change to the 40m band produced 44 contacts in just over 30 minutes while the 20m band surrendered just 13 contacts, Rich N4EX, being the only DX. The 15m band was even worse with a miserly 8 contacts the only DX being Phillip VE1WT. The 2m band saved the day with 113 contacts, also producing 6 of the 9 S2S logged. Total of 178 contacts, however, for once from this excellent summit, the higher HF frequency contacts were a lot tougher.

For activators who live a long way from the higher hills and fancy a day out on a relatively easy summit (10 minute steep walk) and fancy working a pile-up, put Titterstone Clee very near to the top of your list.

Working this summit on a weekend with a decent 2m vertical antenna, there`s more chance of being struck by a double decker bus at the trig point, than leaving with less than 100 contacts :wink:

A word of warning, don’t attempt to activate this one on 2m with an HT, especially if you’re going to attach an antenna other than the supplied rubber duck. The pager noise is dreadful, trust me, I know from experience. No such problems with the FT-857.

So much of this summit has been quarried away.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

“A word of warning, don’t attempt to activate this one on 2m with an HT, especially if you’re going to attach an antenna other than the supplied rubber duck. The pager noise is dreadful, trust me, I know from experience. No such problems with the FT-857.”

I don’t recall any problems on Titterstone for me Mike unlike Brown Clee which is dreadful. As handhelds go the Yaesu FT-270’s are pretty good with break through at least compared to the Yaesu VX-6, 7 etc. We’ve always operated from up near the trig though and perhaps we’ve been lucky with times.

Karen
2E0XYL

In reply to 2E0XYL:

Hi Karen,
Activated this one with the Wouxun and collinear. Chucked the towel in :frowning:
Agree on Brown Clee. IIRC even the 857 suffered on VHF.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

No problems on brown clee with breakthrough for me yesterday! The ft-270 is excellent. I think there was one frequency I got the slightest hint of it, but the rest of 2m was silent.

The great thing yesterday was, on 2m, I found it hard to find a clear frequency! One in the bag for the “use it or lose it” whatnot.

R

In reply to G7LAS:

The 2m Band was extremely busy yesterday. VHF condition were good with G0LGS Stewart in Cheltenham putting out a big signal. Don G0RQL down in sunny in Devon heard my signal, but waited until I QSYd to 40m to work me. At one point, I was sharing a channel with John MW6BLV who was activting Moel Famau.

Despite the bitterly cold wind, Shining Tor was like Piccadilly Circus. There was a relentless stream of hikers and hiking parties …even when I was packing up, there were still loads of people about. Without doubt, the busiest I’ve ever seen this summit. I spent so much time fielding questions from facinated hikers, a great days radio despite the cold wind.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

My dad always used to say “people are like flies. Don’t see any for ages and then the sun comes out…”

R

In reply to G7LAS:

I heard Chris 2W0RGE/p activating but shortly before I could return the call some local guys stomped onto the frequency and that was the end of that!

:frowning:

R

In reply to 2E0YYY:

10 minute steep walk

Are you taking a direct line from your car to the trig point Mickey? Just follow the access road to the radar station and beyond, then it is a 10 minute hands-in-pockets amble, as opposed to a 10 minute steep walk!

I enjoyed listening to this activation as Liam and I drove down through Wales on day 1 of our 2013 Road Trip. Shame you packed up early as I would have liked to have worked you S2S from Hafod Ithel GW/MW-029.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom;

Many thanks for the MW/SW activations on 40m, they are much appreciated here as most activations are 2m only.

Enjoy your road trip.

73 de Ken G3XQE

In reply to M1EYP.

“Shame you packed up early”

After 178 contacts in the winter - jeez!!

Anything less than 200 QSOs is early for Mickey. You used to be the king of activations with large numbers of QSOs Steve, but Mickey’s MO has consigned that to the history books hi!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Shame you packed up
early as I would have liked to have worked you S2S from Hafod Ithel
GW/MW-029.

Not realsing this summit is rarely activated and one I’m missing, I wish I`d stayed a bit longer too, Tom :frowning:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Ah but… staying a bit longer could be a waste of time if I called you, as you’d become speechless and unable to get your words out - a bit like yesterday on Shining Tor. Sorry for the surprise Mike. I do “chase” on occasion.

:wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG