G/SP-002 Activation report 30/01/10

A trip to Holmfirth to watch a family member perform in a production at Huddersfield on Saturday night meant we had time for a side trip to activate Black Hill G/SP-002 in the afternoon.

We parked up at Snoopy’s chuck wagon on the A635 at Wessenden Head leaving at 1323z and followed the Pennine way to the trig point on Black Hill. An unimpressive flat topped “summit” but it has to be said, with fantastic views in an 180 degree arc to the north. Conditions on the flagged path were icy in places and the partly frozen Dean Clough tested Judy’s (XYL) nerve to the full. We made it across however and continued following the flagged path. Where we took to the frozen snow drifts the frozen crust supported our weight without problem. It was slow progress but the trig was reached in exactly 1 hour. Temperature was 1c, it was bright and sunny and the trig afforded shelter from the wind. There were several fell runners about training and the odd walker crossing the top of the hill during our activation. A flask of Bovril was enjoyed before 6 contacts were made on 2m FM. With 5w from the VX-170 and rucksac special 3 feet off the ground I had QSOs over a 15 minute period with:

G4JNN Bradford
G1TAG Osmotherley
G4OWG Rawdon Leeds
2E0BMO Standish Wigan
M1CVL Heywood Manchester
M1AVV/P S2S LD-052 Hutton Roof Crags.

An easy 5 points (2+3) and we were back at the car at 1554z to find that the chuck wagon had gone QRT. I was pleased to get my first activator points of 2010.

Thank’s to Roy G4SSH for the advance notice to SOTAWatch via his dial-a-spot service.

Phil G4OBK

PS Distance walked 4 miles with 790 feet of ascent. Same route used each way, stuck to Pennine Way.

In reply to G4OBK:
Hi Phil.Sorry I missed you on black hill.When I did it I walked in from the Holme Moss Tv transmitter mast.It was possibly the nearest way but was rough going.I will go your way next time.atb 73 Geoff.G6MZX

In reply to G6MZX:
Hi Geoff

I noticed that most of the fell runners out training headed that way from the trig point. No path is indicated from the Holme Moss transmitter on the 1:25000 map but there is certainly less ascent that way, and it’s shorter but more different ground compared to the flagged Pennine way I guess. The Fleece Inn nearby in Holme village on the way up to Holme Moss I can recommend. We had our Sunday Dinner there - first class food and service with 3 guest beers on for those that like drinking the stuff.

73 Phil