G/NP-010 and G/NP-017 today

I’m on a mission to boost my activator score as much as possible.

Today’s target summits were Pen Y Ghent G/NP-010 (4pts+3bonus) and Fountains Fell G/NP-017 (also 4pts+3bonus).

After hearing the sad news about Eric KU6J becoming a silent key and messages on the NASOTA Yahoo Group about an activation event today in Eric’s memory, I thought it would be just the job for my new(ish) MTR-5B transceiver. I have yet to build a matching 5 band antenna, so I have to use two to cover all the bands. My plan was use the long dipole to offer 40m and 30m from the first summit and then 20m/17m and 15m from the second summit just as NA chasers would be getting active.

I was up fairly early and had breakfast at Skipton McDonald’s (porridge :smile:) The weather was very mild so no issue with icy roads as is usual at this time of year. The first hill Pen Y Ghent was surrounded by mist as I parked up, and the weather was to remain the same for much of the day.

I reached the summit in reasonable time and set up the 40m/30m/20m dipole with links adjusted for 30m. I got nicely settled in my orange bothy bag with my orange MTR-5B, orange bag, orange pencil… you get the picture - literally :smiley:

I had spent some time programming memories yesterday so that the rig would do the CQing. I pressed the buttons needed to CQ, but unfortunately the rig just muted the RX then locked up :unamused: Everything I tried, including disconnecting the power lead had no effect. The rig has a small coin cell battery on the PCB which keeps the real time clock ticking, unfortunately it was also keeping the processor locked up. When I was making the case, I chose to use 2off M3 CSK hex screws to secure the two halves, maybe this was a mistake because I simply could not find anything that would undo the screws and I didn’t have a hex key with me. Doh!

Luckily, I had persuaded myself to take a back-up rig, my 40m/20m first run MTR. I’d have to forget about doing 30m. I extracted myself from my comfy bothy bag to change the antenna links to 40m. Happily the two band MTR worked fine and I was able to qualify the summit, although business was slow until I asked Christophe ON6ZQ to spot me - thanks Christophe, much appreciated!

When I got back to the car, I was hoping for either, 1, I had something to undo the hex screws on the MTR-5B or, 2, the coin cell to have gone flat after powering up the LCD for all that time. Neither hope became reality :frowning:

I headed up Fountains Fell with just my 2 band MTR on board, along with the 40m/30m/20m dipole, leaving the disgraced MTR-5B in the car to reflect on it’s own behaviour! The walk up to the summit was a foggy trudge with no view and no other walkers to say hello to. I set the antenna up first of all then had lunch. Now time to operate - where are my earphones? Ooops, I’d left them in the car with the naughty MTR-5B. I like to take back ups for essential items if I can, (over the years I remove more and more stuff from my bag though!) Talk about relief when I found a pair of lime green earbuds in my pack! I was pleased to get a few NA stations in the log on 20m so the activation was actually a huge success.

On the way home, I stopped off in Settle and visited the famous hardware store that ‘sells everything’ and bought a hex key that I intend to leave with my MTR-5B at all times!! I also did something quite out of character - I visited Ye Olde Naked Man Cafe and had a cappuccino with cherry shortcake as my way of toasting Eric KU6J.

Cheers Eric!

I appears that the MTR-5B back up battery has eventually gone flat, but the rig continued to lock up every time I asked it to send memory one. I have since reprogrammed memory one and now all is well. I guess it’s the price you pay for using these types of kits - WE are the beta testers!

Good idea to use hex (Allen) screws? Maybe not! :smiley:

Today I was also remembering Roger G4OWG and Dave G4ASA.

73, Colin M1BUU

10 Likes

We popped into Ye Olde Naked Man cafe today for some take away goodies. Memories were triggered of my KU6J memorial activation.

Every time I activate I’m thankful for Eric’s idea of the RBN Gate.

10 Likes