G/DC-001 High Willhays

This was only my second activation, so to High Willhays i went.
With help from G7VTE Geoff & 2E0MYB Howard, they made this activation happen and on my birthday too.
Howard was my base camp and safety person, located near to Oakhampton and not on the summit. He had Yaesu FT-7800 & Yaesu FT-290 MKII just if things went wrong.
Geoff was my guide to the summit with Ten Tors knowledge and first aid, you must treat Dartmoor with the respect it deserves ! It was wet, cold, pooor visibility.
I used my faithfull Yaesu FT-290 MKI just 2 wtts into it’s built in telescopic antenna.
I had 10 QSO’s in total my best being MW3SFN/P on GW/SW-001 Pen y Fan, he was using a portable transceiver and 5 watts.
Many thanks to all the amateurs to worked me on the 15/11/08 and especially to G0RQL Don for spotting me.
Looking forward to next activation.

Regards 2E0VCC Darrell

Good result Darrell and pleased to assist,keep popping up on those DC’s well done,see you at the club on Wednesday(subject to taxi).
I will bring the mince pies.73 Don G0RQL.

In reply to 2E0VCC:

Pleased to see you made a decent number of contacts Darrell. The only time that I activated using just an FT290 Mk1 with the internal whip was on SE-004 and it was quite hard going. If you can manage to put up a small mast and a beam then I am certain you will do even better.

Good to see the DC’s getting some more activations. High Willhays is a very pleasant summit, though I did need to use my GPS… to find where I had left the car!

73, Gerald