Ft-897d

I have been reading the Activation reports with interest and I am pleased to see that there is an increase in the use of the Yaesu FT-897D.

This is my preferred choice on all Summits now.

This radio was built for expeditions and although its heavy, it is robust and covers most bands and modes.

Well done to all who carry it on your back especially on long and steep walk ins!!!

I know how heavy it gets after a kilometre or so.

Good luck to all activators

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

Ill stick to my trusty 857 thanks. Probably the best rig for phone activating. I fancy an IC7000 but cant justify the extra cost over the 857.

In reply to 2E0LAE:

Tony, I guess the beauty of the 897D is the ability to load it with the 4500mAh batteries as opposed to, say, carrying an 857 with a slab or two rattling around in the bergen which is my usual load-out.

The lad and I popped up Shining Tor late last Saturday night under the cover of darkness and clag with the 28ft portable mast and 9ele but that was more a case of awkward than heavy.

73, Chris

In reply to M1DTJ:
I’m with Steve, the 857 is lighter and more practical - I have a padded inside pocket in my rucksac that seems tailor made for it, but I wish the slabs were lighter!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1DTJ:

I guess the beauty of the 897D is the ability to load it with the 4500mAh
batteries as opposed to, say, carrying an 857 with a slab or two rattling
around in the bergen which is my usual load-out.

One word Lithium Polymer.

OK that’s two words!

Yaesu FNB 78 NiMH cell for FT 897 costs £120.95
My LiPO cell with same capacity costs £ 13.00 (inc p&p from Hong Kong)

Yaesu CD 24 4hr charger for FNB 78 costs £109.94
My LiPo 5hr charger costs £ 5.78 (inc p&p from Hong Kong)

Yaesu FNB 78 battery weighs 850g
My LiPo battery weighs 260g

So a LiPO is a ninth of the price and a third of the weight for the same performance. I’d guess with those figures the choice would be easy :wink:

Andy
MA0FMF

My 897 is definitely staying put as the base station rig I bought it to be! I’m not taking that up mountains! Too big, too heavy. I can work the world from a summit with my 817 on 5 watts from the internal 2.7Ah battery, so that will do for me. I usually do take a SLAB, but the internal is more than sufficient for most stuff.

I was even working across Europe on 40m yesterday morning, on 1 watt with a flat battery! Never underestimate what can be done with QRP - and without any kind of external battery.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I can work the world from a summit

Sometimes the World is not enough! - Just ask James Bond

In reply to MM0FMF:

Yaesu know what they can do with their battery and charger then!

Same way I was sort of conned with the VX8 on finding out how much the high capacity battery and GPS unit were.

In reply to M1DTJ:

As Andy says, go LiPo. They are so light, I’m always tempted to carry a spare, but it’s totally unnecessary. A couple of 4AH 3 cell LiPos provide power for around 4 hours running 20w out on SSB.

73, Gerald

In reply to 2E0LAE:

I’ve got an 897 and an 817…

They are both great rigs, but I have to agree that the 857 is best for SOTA. I can’t really justify purchase unless I got rid of one of the others…

I used my 897 once on a fairly easy SB summit…wasn’t too bad until my wife found the two 7AHr SLABs I’d put in her rucksack!!

73s All

Rob

In reply to G1INK:

I’m with Steve on this one the 857 is best on the tops I’ve also taken the ic706m2 but like the 857 bettet

73s

Terry