FT-857D 60m Mod

Anyone know where I can find the information on getting the UK version of the FT-857D to work on 60m ?

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:

Doesn’t Google work? I did a quick search and many results came up. Is there something about a UK 857 that makes the mods unsuitable?

Andy
MM0FMF

Andy,

My google search came back with lots of stuff, but having looked at several I didn’t find one that gave me the answers I am looking for - Lots of references to USA models and memory channels that don’t seem to exist in this one.

The link on RigPix to a PDF of mods doesn’t seem to make it clear which Jumpers should be open and which ones closed.

I was hoping someone that has done the change would have a record of the information that they used.

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:

It will depend on the age of your 857D. Early ones just needed a bit of software called Wide-Bander and a programming cable. Later ones needed a surface mount diode removing. I seem to remember there was one diode you remove so you can use the Wide-Bander software and another that if you remove it the whole thing becomes wide-banded permanently. The options with Wide-Bander software are EU, USA and fully wide banded. USA gave you the American 5mHz allocation only and messed up the repeater shifts. Most people went for the fully wide-banded option as it also enabled the extra 100kHz we got on forty metres.

Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:
If it is a D model as you said, then almost certainly it will need the hardware mod. eMail me direct off list and I will send you the data.

aa3jn@arrl.net

73 de Peter G0FIM / AA3JN

In reply to G0FIM:

If it is a D model as you said, then almost certainly it will need the hardware mod

Not quite true. All none D models and most D models over about two or three years old only require the software mod. I have two of them and have programmed/unlocked half a dozen others (all D models), only the last one I bought (10/9/20008) needed the hardware mod. Another amateur I know bought his a couple of months earlier and it did not require the hardware mod.

Pretty much the same applies to the FT-817. I have one of these too and have programmed/unlocked another four. They locked them down because some country or other made a fuss. I can’t remember which country.

In reply to GW7AAV:

They locked them down because some country or other made a fuss. I can’t
remember which country

Uncle Sam.

Andy
M0FMF