Frustration Days

I am having one of those days. If I had a teddy bear I would throw it out of my pram. I started the morning thinking I would be able to knock one of the hills on my most wanted list off. Robert GW0PEB was doing NW-050, which as you can see below is one of only 2 NW summits I need. Understandably due to snow on the summit Robert only did VHF. The frustrating part was I heard a brief snatch of Roberts voice on 2m SSB and then nothing. It has been similar on most of my remaining most wanted with activators either unable to do HF due to weather or being so weak due to conditions that I just got a single snatch of someone else’s report. To add to my frustration it took me forever to get through to Gerald GW4OIG on NW-017, could not hear Walt G3NYY and Zoli HA3HK/P did not seem to be hearing me. This SOTA lark is meant to be fun, but maybe I am just too addicted. Is it just me or does anyone else suffer from SOTA syndrome?

My most wanted list…

* G/SE-007 - Crowborough, 242m, 1 points. 

* GW/MW-015 - Bryn Amlwg, 488m, 1 points.
* GW/MW-019 - Gwastedyn Hill, 477m, 1 points.
* GW/MW-032 - Upper Park, 352m, 1 points.
* GW/MW-036 - Pen-crug-melyn, 326m, 1 points.

* GW/NW-050 - Gyrn Ddu, 522m, 2 points.
* GW/NW-060 - Mynydd-y-briw, 341m, 1 points. 

* GW/SW-017 - Hirfynydd, 481m, 1 points.
* GW/SW-028 - Mynydd y Betws, 374m, 1 points.
* GW/SW-031 - Mynydd Uchaf, 358m, 1 points.

Merry Christmas to all my fellow SOTA addicts.

Steve GW7AAV (Who is going to find some chocolate to feed his other addiction)

In reply to GW7AAV:

Hi Steve,

I heard you calling Gerald a couple of times when he was beaming south / south-east but you were obviously struggling to hear him. Mike G4BLH was also struggling, but for once I seemed to be in the right location & let Gerald know that both Mike & yourself were on the frequency. Thankfully you both did manage to work him in the end :slight_smile:

I then QSY’d to Walt’s frequency & although I could hear him at times, the QSB made things very difficult & I didn’t work him. I also listened on Roberts spotted frequency, but I think I missed him completely as I didn’t even hear others working him.

I must say, the snow here is very scenic, we had two inches overnight, but it’s not very good when your only means of transport is a motorbike :wink:

Look’s like I’ll be using the bus today HI!

Enjoy your chocolate :wink:

Mark G0VOF

In reply to GW7AAV:
Hi Steve
I’m with you on this one !
I too was hoping to work Robert on NW-050 to complete the NW’s for me but just heard him briefly like you then nothing, managed to work Gerald on NW-017 but couldn’t hear G3NYY or HA3HK either, so agree that SOTA is usually a fun activity but today is frustrating - made worse for me because the recent QTH move means I’ve got inefficient temporary antennas at the moment.
But I am still addicted !!

73 Graham G3OHC

PS Merry Christmas to one and all !

In reply to G3OHC/G0VOF:

Glad I am not alone.

I mainlined a Twix and then I got straight in to ON5RZ first call so in a slightly better mood now.

Mark - No snow here yet but I have my camera ready to rush out and capture the Welsh hills when it comes. Motorcycles and snow! I remember taking an hour to get home from work on a motorbike in six inches of snow it was about 13 miles, but we lived on the top of a hill then. Managed it without dropping the bike but took about three days to thaw out.

Steve

In reply to G0VOF:

I then QSY’d to Walt’s frequency & although I could hear him at
times, the QSB made things very difficult & I didn’t work him.

Sorry we missed each other, Mark. I heard you working Gerald and at that time you were 59+. Better luck next time!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to GW7AAV:

Steve,

We are planning to do NW-060 on Sunday WX permitting. Was going to do it the other week but the gales put paid to the plan.

73, Chris

In reply to GW7AAV:

Ah, but you worked me on 60m and 40m so that must feel the same as winning the lottery! :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to GW7AAV:

Ah, but you worked me on 60m and 40m so that must feel the same as
winning the lottery! :wink:

I was privileged to do the same! :slight_smile:

BTW, I took your advice and got myself fixed up with an Internet-capable mobile phone. I did my first ever self-spot at 10:55 this morning. It doesn’t half make a difference! Many thanks to all who called me.

Walt (G3NYY)

Hi guys

Firstly my apologies to those who failed to make contact with me on NW-050 this morning, weather conditions were very wintry on the summit, howling easterly gales mixed in with a snowstorm. Towards the south, Cardigan Bay was bathed in sun, shows just how variable Snowdonia weather can be.

All the same it was quite enjoyable but could have been better with HF. Hopefully there will be more activations from me soon.

Robert
GW0PEB

In reply to G0PEB:
I’m pleased I got through to you on this one, Robert, if it’s that tricky.

Your second summit Yr Eifl makes its second appearance in my SOTA SWL log. 3/2 from here. A difficult path for my station to get through on. The APRS track was interesting.

My DOH!! moment came when listening to Andy MM0FMF/P on Ben Cleuch. In reply to what turned out to be his last QRZ? on phone, I transmitted a confident reply and then noticed I was switched to dummy load. On the plus side I was going to give Andy a fair signal report via said dummy load! I switched to antenna and he was already off sending dah-di-dah-dit dah-dah-di-dah. I’m wondering if the successful QSO with ON5RZ/P was via dummy load too [I hope not].

I’m out in the trees on Carnedd Wen GW/MW-012 with Geoff and David Passey tomorrow. Time posted is approx and we could be an hour earlier. I hope to speak with many of you then.

David 2E0DAI

In reply to M6WOW:

Well I QSY’d because someone started sending SSTV on my freq.

Andy
MM0FMF
(RATM for the Christmas #1!)

In reply to G0PEB:

Good to work you on both Robert and many thanks for waiting for me on the second one. Hope you have warmed through. My activations went well, though the higher summits in the area blocked off Moelfre NW-041 in quite a few directions, so some chasers couldn’t copy me. Surprisingly, Bob M3UHG in Skelmersdale gets the DX trophy today as we worked on FM - not a bad distance for such an inefficient mode and it was from Moelfre as well.

70cms was a bit of a flop - should have stuck at it on Y Llethr NW-017 with Don G0RQL as I’m sure we’d have found a QSB peak to pass reports and 73’s. Pleased we made it later from Moelfre, but nothing else heard during the day on the band on any mode.

73 and thanks to everyone who called,

Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:
Walt/Gerald
Obviously no one heard me from bonny scotland on 432 cw, I plugged away with 20w and a 9ele for 15mins. I did think I heard a ssb signal at one point but was probably just cold!
Another day maybe. Several inches of snow and a rather cold wind… probably interesting windchill.
Robert
GM4GUF

In reply to GM4GUF:

Seems like we might have missed each other time wise Robert. I called you around 14:00 after I had worked my 2m SSB run which was followed by Don G0RQL on 70cms SSB. I think if we attempt it again, we should fix a definite sked time at the start of the activation, as a run on 2m is rather an indeterminate factor and it is difficult to tell when I’ve moved to 70cms. I did call you on 2m SSB just in case you were monitoring, but presumably you just had the one band up and running. I would say that 70cms as a lone band is very hard going unless it’s done during a contest period. Even then it is not plain sailing!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

No problem Gerald, I started calling at 13:26 and then had a sked at 13:45… it was pushing things anyway I realise that. Swopping about between 2m and 70cm while listening for very weak signals is difficult enough when the wx is easy, just an experiment I left 2m at home. The depth of snow slowed me up from my usual time to the top of Tinto.
Maybe next spring try again!
Robert
GM4GUF

In reply to GM4GUF:

Maybe next spring try again!

Surely try again on January 3rd 2010, SOTA VHF Fun Day?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to GM4GUF:

Next Spring… likely to be closer to you as I’m running out of GW summits to activate.

I took the 6el DL6WU today, but must say that the dual band antenna is really convenient in terms of band changing - I just change memory channel on the 817. Also the dual bander has a lower mass of metal which means the elements don’t stick to your fingers when it’s below zero! Had to wipe the frost off the antennas before packing them away… brrrrrrr!

Did I have a good day? - you bet!

73, Gerald

P.S. I’m up for 70cms on the Fun Day… and 23 of course.

In reply to MM0FMF:

Well I QSY’d because someone started sending SSTV on my freq.

You were on 7115 kHz, which is well away from the SSTV “centre of activity”. According to the 2009 Region 1 Band Plan: “7165 kHz - Image Centre of Activity”.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G4OIG:

Gerard/Andy

OK look forward to hearing you up here! Points noted about 2/70cm antenna, up here in GM because of the extra distance to get signals south I find I need as much gain on these bands as possible, hence 8 or 15 ele. The only down side of this is of course the extra weight, being too directional and you miss signals.
Hope to be about for fun day. I didnt know you had 23cm. I have a system completed now for 23cm with 18watts and 35 ele… give away points in contests usually.
73… have a merry Xmas.
Robert
GM4GUF

In reply to GM4GUF:

Gerard

Ah, you address my French cousin mon ami! :slight_smile:

hence 8 or 15 ele…

The dual bander is 8 elements on 70cms. As you say, it is a question of the benefit of gain versus the downside of reduced beamwidth + additional weight. The added complexity of more elements is an issue as well, particularly where the antenna needs to be constructed on the summit, i.e. not carried up with elements already attached to the boom. Antenna building is fine on a warm day in summer, but the process can be harassing in cold, wet and windy winter conditions.

I didnt know you had 23cm.

I have a homebuilt transverter which I can use, but it weighs 2kg! I prefer to use my Standard C710 FM tribander - just 280mW, but into the quadruple quad I’ve had some exellent results. I also have a 15 over 15 adapted for installation on a SOTApole and a length of LMR400 if there is serious 23cms business to be had. Unfortunately my brick amplifier is still unbuilt - must allocate some time to it, but activating gets in the way!

Probably hear you on the Fun Day. If you want to set a time drop me an email via my address on QRZ.com.

73 and Seasons Greetings,

Gerald