Frustrating loss of data while trying to enter my log

Today I was trying to upload the log of yesterdays activation, it had just 23 entries but frustratingly about half way through the entries the database through me this error & there was no way to recover to carry on, I’m now left wondering if I try again will it just do the same again, the error viewed is copied & pasted below for reference.

Not sure if this is a setting on my machine (Mac) or on the data base itself.
Cheers
Neil

Server Error in ‘/’ Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
SOTA.AddActivation2.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\SOTA\SOTADATABASE_Net45\AddActivation2.aspx.cs:39
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +102
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +67
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1380

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.7.2623.0

Wrong.

When you log on next time and try to enter an an activation you will be asked if you wish to continue from where you left off.

The people designing and running the SOTA services do have some clue in trying to minimise data loss.

5 Likes

Thanks for that, I had no idea that the system did this & believed that the entries were lost, thats great & now I have managed to complete the entries without any further problems.

I should have worded my post better by perhaps saying “there was no way to recover(that I knew of in order) to carry on”

I now know different.

Many thanks & 73

Neil

2 Likes

There is a faster way to do your SOTA logging! I use a Google spreadsheet for logging. It makes logging much easier. You can pre-fill in most of the details by dragging, then just enter the times / calls / notes. Check out W0CP’s site for info on how to do it:

Once you have your details entered you just save it as a .csv and then upload it to sotadata and viola!

Hi Neil,

you should have a look at this little piece of software …

73 Martin, OE5REO

1 Like

Or run vk port-a-log app on any android tablet. Log as you go and export the csv file to sota data, and export the ADIF file to your station log. Works a treat. And when you enter each callsign the operator name pops up on screen so you can recall their names very confidently.

1 Like

Most of the time my VKPort-a-log just says Andrew…

Compton

5 Likes

That’s a special feature Peter installed for VK operators.

Just as you can have a default signal report, a default name is quite appropriate.

2 Likes

Yes! Love VK Port-o-log. Its awesome! Runs a treat on the cheapest Android tablet money can buy (Kindle Fire 7", $40USD).

However, when I go backpacking I use a small ‘write in the rain’ logbook and a pencil. Cheap, light, and effective =)

-WU7H

1 Like

Martin,

Neil has a Mac…

73, Hans PB2T

I’ve spent hours trying to get this software. I am not sure if Yahoo groups is working properly.

You could use my SOTA CSV Editor from G0LGS: Software Information

Then you just upload the file to the Database.

Handles Activator, Chaser and SWL logs.

Stewart G0LGS

Thanks Stewart,
I’ll try that tomorrow afternoon but I would need to use that at home as I don’t want to carry a laptop up hills.
I have just gotten an Android tablet specifically to run VKlogger and am keen to use it.
I will be doing an activation early tomorrow morning so I will continue with my paper log for now. I’m sure I will sort it out eventually.
Dermy VK1FDHA

+1 for this.

I use this on activations using my Samsung S8 phone. I have that with me anyway. Screen keyboard is a bit fiddly but after the first few activations I have it sorted out now.

I’ve been known to upload my log from the summit immediately after going QRT, providing I have a good mobile data service and the weather is fine so I’m not in a rush to get down.

I carry a small spare battery to recharge the phone just in case.

The only exception is in the rain which plays havoc with the touch screen. Back to Write in the Rain notebooks. Then a spreadsheet to upload in batch.