Frenni Fawr GW/MW-028

Hi Andy,

If you think it is easy to walk up to GM/CS-045 via another SOTA summit on the way up to GM/CS-045, I think you should do the walk and be the first person to activate GM/CS-045.

Jimmy M3EYP

Hi Barry,

You surprise me that you are going to wimp out on walking up and activating GM/CS-045. I thought this is your type of hill walking because you have taken me and my Dad M1EYP on very long walks in the Cairngorms twice.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

The total trip from Bruar Lodge and back is only 22km and 1167m of ascent. Which is about 358mins of walking. Allowing for being tired on the way back we can add another 120mins and another 60 for icky ground. That’s 9hrs walking. Allow 90mins for activating each summit and you have 12 hours of activity.

If you’re staying at the lodge you can be up, breakfasted and out by 7.30am for a 7.30pm return… just in time for a snifter, shower and slap up meal. Followed by several more snifters! Or you cycle in and bivvy overnight at the col. Either on the way up or way back. Probably best end of April/early May, there’s lots of daylight and the WX is normally reasonable by then.

It’s a bigger logistical challenge than physical one. That’s why it remains unactivated. :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I had a look and those nice Athol Estates people hire out Bruar Lodge…you get permission to drive on the estate roads so you could bag a few more awkward ones whilst there.

Could this be the basis of that elusive GM Activity Weekend that was mentioned some months (if not years) back?

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I was looking forward to that GM Activity Weekend, I even got a visa sorted out! Any chance of it happening, I wonder?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I’ll give you my employer’s contact details. They mucked me about with a potential trip to VK2 then BV which was on then off then on then off until it was impossible to book the place. They’ve done the same this year too. Apart from Bank Holidays I’ve had 5 days off so far this year. Which means I’ve got one week of last year’s hols to use plus this year’s 5 weeks to use. Only got to Germany as I’d booked flights and hotels!

Getting beyond a joke TBH :frowning:

Still it’s nice to wanted and not in a Rebekah Brookes/Andy Coulson way! :slight_smile:

Bruar Lodge is booked till next Jan. April/May/June 2012 is £2k/week and July is £2.3k/week. August to January 2012 booked.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Bruar Lodge… April/May/June 2012 is £2k/week.

You were looking at prices for Forest Lodge Andy - the rates for Glen Bruar are 24 March – 23 June : £1480 and 23 June – 7 August : £2016. 3 night stays would cost 70% of the weekly rate. The lodge sleeps 18 - 2 single, 5 twin and 3 double rooms.

If say there are 15 people interested in doing this, then for a 3 night stay the cost would be around £70 per person for the accommodation in April/May. Add to this food, tipples and anything else required individually plus travel costs.

Getting a pass out would probably be the most difficult thing for most, but maybe there might be enough interest to make this a go-er. Any comments - if so, do we start a new thread?

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to M3EYP:

Erm! Well you have me there Jimmy! I guess I will just have to do it then announce it after the fact - if this rain ever stops.

Barry GM4TOE