Frenni Fawr GW/MW-028

Hello All,
Just a quick thanks to all who took time out to work me today, still very new to SOTA but learning very quickly… Apologies for any mistakes.

Steve…MW0BBU.

In reply to MW0BBU:

This summit’s on my “to do again” list. Hope the weather was kind so you could enjoy the views!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

…my “to do again” list…

The very existence of such is headline news. I hope Roy is watching.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G4OIG:

Hello Gerald,
Weather was really good when I got there but early on it was pouring down at the home QTH at Milford Haven, nearly called it off but glad I didn’t. Couple of pics on the SOTA Flickr link…

Steve…MW0BBU.

In reply to MW0BBU:

Thanks for putting the photos on Steve. Brought back very pleasant memories of probably the most pleasant summit of a 10 summit 2 day thrash back in July 2008 with Paul G4MD. Our first summit that day was activated in thick mist - fortunately it cleared later.

In reply to M1EYP:

Unfortunately I couldn’t get down Ladbrokes quick enough to put a bet on that you’d make a comment Tom. Anyway, you’ll probably not note my “repeats” when I get around to doing them as they’ll be done on the off-chance and probably on 70cms or 23cms… oh and the all important thing, the call won’t be OIG…

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Unfortunately I couldn’t get down Ladbrokes quick enough…

You may have done if Ladbrokes had a branch in the AZ of a new unique for you.

the all important thing, the call won’t be OIG…

The important question is will you allow yourself the luxury of repeats within the old class B callsign account, with the G4OIG activator log safely ringfenced?

Here is a list of my most-want-to-do-again summits:

Long Knoll G/SC-007
Brown Willy G/DC-002
Cadair Berwyn GW/NW-012
Snowdon GW/NW-001 - Y Lliwedd GW/NW-008 - Yr Aran GW/NW-019
Wild Boar Fell G/NP-007

My most-want-to-do uniques are G/SB-004 to 010, G/LD-006, 012, 025, 028, 030, 031, 034, 036, 042, 045, GD/GD-001 to 005, GW/NW-002 to 007 and 009, 010, and GI/MM-003, 004, 005, 007, 008, 009, 011, 012, 014, 015.

…and, dare I say, GW/MW-032…

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I hope Steve doesn’t mind us hi-jacking his thread, but…

will you allow yourself the luxury of repeats within the old class B callsign account, with the G4OIG activator log safely ringfenced?

This is a matter of great internal debate and believe me, it verges on mental torture! Yes, technically the Class B call sets up a different log, but it doesn’t make me different. I will still be me, people will most likely instantly recognise my nasal tones and maybe even slip the G4 call in. :slight_smile:

I am sure summit repeats will happen at some stage on account of the fact that there won’t be any uniques within a 300 mile road journey of here (ignoring the detour distance involved in picking Paul up) unless I go across the Channel or the Irish Sea. The increasing distance to the uniques means the frequency of activations is slowing down and keeping fit is becoming an issue. I may well therefore be forced into “training” on some of the hills I’ve done before, possibly taking others along with me to show them how pleasurable SOTA can be. The problem is that every activation of this kind will take funds from the coffers. I am also getting older (what’s that you hadn’t noticed?) and the physical task of driving 300+ miles before taking a single step towards the summit will no doubt, at some future date, become an issue.

As to your most-want-to-do-again list, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes! All grade A1 experiences for me. I’ve found the weather can play a big part in how you feel about a summit - whatever you do, don’t mention White Hill!!! That’s why I asked Steve about Frenni Fawr - cracking views on a fine day. Really pleased that he had a good experience.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:
Gentlemen,
I do not mind in the slightest… In fact I have quite enjoyed the reading and banter…feel free to carry on.

Steve…MW0BBU.

In reply to MW0BBU:

Well Steve, pleased we have not offended you.

You will have realised that we all participate in SOTA in slightly different ways. In my particular case I could be classed as a Uniques Activator with a twist - the twist being that I aim to qualify all summits using 144MHz or a higher frequency. That is purely my personal MO. Tom referred to my 100% uniques record and whether I would use my second call to avoid spoiling that. The question remains, will I (or perhaps more accurately when will I) go down that road. Certainly there are plenty of summits calling me back for one reason or another… and Frenni Fawr is one of them. A good sign is when I involuntarily let out a sigh of satisfaction during the descent from a summit!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:
Hello Gerald,
Very interesting MO you have there, I wish you luck with your quest. Here I have only just really got into the SOTA program and have to admit to being well and truly hooked. I have enjoyed your photo stream on Flickr, great shots on there. Good luck and all the best.

Steve…MW0BBU.

In reply to MW0BBU:

Hi Steve,

The MO is just because I was weaned on 2m back in the late 60’s and is purely personal. 42 years operating the band means it has become just a way of life. It has been fun getting out on the band from some summits and I admit to having taken the BNOS 180W linear with me on a couple of occasions!

Thanks for the comment on the photos. I hope they reflect the activations, but I don’t always remember to get the camera out until I’ve packed everything away. Besides, a picture of my 857 and dual-band beam on one summit is much the same as a picture of them on another. :slight_smile:

Next out in a couple of weeks to activate some more Lake District summits - not far off completing them. It has been five and a half years since the bug bit and the adrenalin still flows. If you say you’re hooked now, there’s no hope for you. Welcome to the club!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to M1EYP:

"My most-want-to-do uniques are G/SB-004 to 010, G/LD-006, 012, 025, 028, 030, 031, 034, 036, 042, 045, GD/GD-001 to 005, GW/NW-002 to 007 and 009, 010, and GI/MM-003, 004, 005, 007, 008, 009, 011, 012, 014, 015.

…and, dare I say, GW/MW-032…"

Wot no GM - and us with all these unactivated Uniques too

Barry GM4TOE
(Firmly back home after using that strange G prefix)

You may notice a theme of “completion” (or part thereof when it comes to NW) Barry. No chance of that anywhere in GM, not in the immediate future anyway!

Every time I come to GM I will be activating unique (to me) summits, no doubt about that. But the priorities lie elsewhere.

Tom M1EYP

Hi Barry,

I just thought I would let you know that GM/CS-045 remains the only unactivated SOTA summit in the GM/CS region.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Hi Barry,

I just thought I would let you know that GM/CS-045 remains the only
unactivated SOTA summit in the GM/CS region.

Jimmy M3EYP

That rather surprised me, Jimmy! On the other hand I just had a look at WS, and was amazed at some of the unactivated summits there, the highest being WS-006, Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan (1151 metres), and several other summits popular with the Munro-baggers such as An Socach, Sgurr a’Chaorachain, and Maoile Lunndaidh. There’s lots to do, with eight summits above 1000 metres still unactivated!

I hope next year to get to Glencoe for the first time in years: 14 summits within walking distance of the camping, including a couple of 2-point summits that I never set foot on in my more fit and active days, enough to fill the week of dry weather that never happens!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M3EYP:

Looks very much like it’s one for Barry and no doubt it’s in his sights. Anyone wanting to have a crack at it certainly will need long legs and a decent amount of stamina. Don’t all rush at once! :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Doesn’t look too hard. Cycle to Bruar Lodge up the excellent track. Nip up and bag Beinn Dearg for 8 points and then a quick yomp over to Beinn Bhreac. From Bruar Lodge to the 1st summit is only 5km and 566m of ascent on very good stalkers paths. Then you’ve got 5.25km to Beinn Breac and 346m down and 255m up to the next summit. The ground looks pants TBH for this bit. Drop back down to the col by the nascent Tarf Water and bivvy overnight and walk back to the bike the next morning. Easy.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Doesn’t look too hard. Cycle to Bruar Lodge…

Drat, that would mean I’d finally have to fit a tow bar to mount the bike rack on - how uncool is that on a Quattro?

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to MM0FMF:

OK big boy - when you come for that 817 I will hold the coats while you go for it!!!

Knowing how much effort its neighbour took for International SOTA weekend I think I am going to wimp out on this. Jack GM4COX has it in his sights though!

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:

Arf! :slight_smile:

I had a look and those nice Athol Estates people hire out Bruar Lodge (and many others). You’d need a few friends staying with you and sharing the cost to make hiring Bruar Lodge less of a shock to the wallet. That would trivialise the two summits. You can even hire a cook from them so you can come back to a fantastic feast after 14point day. Broadband in the lodge so you can update the database in evening whilst sipping a dram or three. Best of all, you get permission to drive on the estate roads so you could bag a few more awkward ones whilst there.

Andy
MM0FMF