Free beer etc. in GM in February?

What’s this then Steve & Mike?

You gents haven’t bought a brewery north of the border?

Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G4FUJ:

4 Nights all inclusive for £114 including free bar from 18:00 - 23:00, plus cracking summits galore.

Inky, Mick M0PVA (ex 2E0HJD) and I near bankrupt the bar last year in Fort William, hi.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to G4FUJ:

It’s an all inclusive hotel deal which is silly cheap at that time of year. The normal customer base is the blue rinse and zimmer frame brigade so Mike DSP and Steve INKy will come as a shock. “Beer! What you don’t want the sweet sherry?”

GW7AAV Steve’s On The Air

In reply to GW7AAV:

It’s all free! Beer, wines, spirits. Mind you Inky and I are only capable of one or two pints a night:-)

Mike

PS No shocks Steve, I had groupies last year, all looking for a 55 year old toy boy.

Forgot to mention, entertainment every night in hotel, plus a free newspaper every morning. We are hoping to try a couple of evening activations, free beer and wx dependant.

In reply to GW0DSP:

Sounds great!
I need to arrange more leave days for next financial year… ;o)

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G4FUJ:

It’s just too cheap to ignore Graham.

Inky and I will both do 5megs ssb if on seperate summits, otherwise inky will do hf ssb and I’ll do hf cw, including 5megs cw for UK chasers.

Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

You might find the free beer a better choice than the hills at that time of the year, we once crossed Rannoch Moor in February on the heels of not one but two snowploughs and still only just made it! Mind you, the Glencoe hills were occasionally glimpsed through the swirling clag and they looked quite alpine so we enjoyed the experience!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to GW0DSP:

You might find the free beer a better choice than the hills at that
time of the year, we once crossed Rannoch Moor in February on the
heels of not one but two snowploughs and still only just made it! Mind
you, the Glencoe hills were occasionally glimpsed through the swirling
clag and they looked quite alpine so we enjoyed the experience!

Brian G8ADD

Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt Brian.

We travelled that same route home from Fort Willian last January, in exactly such conditions that you describe. The snow was with us right down to the south of Glasgow. It was scary stuff indeed and if it happens again in February, I for one, will extend my holiday break by a few days.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Scary but fun! Its a great excuse for a longer stay. Where are you staying?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Somewhere near Arrochar, Loch Long area. Now you know why I progressed to 2 & 4 pointers this year. Fingers crossed, I hope to achieve my first 6 pointers, but I’m not too proud to turn back half way if it’s too much for me. There’s no such thing as “an easy one” up there, as you know Brian.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

True, Mike. I understand that they’ve improved the track up the Cobbler which might help.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to GW0DSP:

Mind you Inky and I are only capable of one or two pints a night:-)

I think the claim you will be doing some summits Mike is purely a cover. Only one or two pints a night… yeah, a couple before breakfast, a few more before lunch, several in the afternoon… Now I know why you’ve been doing 2 and 4 pointers - to get some weight off so you can put it back on!

Honestly, we are all just jealous - except me of course as I don’t touch the stuff :wink:

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

There will be no drinking before 18:00…we would have to pay for it, hi, hence we activate during the day, to save money, honestly:-)

73 GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Someone mentioned The Cobbler? 861m ascent? I’ll be impressed if you have improved your fitness enough to complete that Mike. I can remember you telling of your delight when you were able to complete the 166m ascent for Cyrn-y-Brain for the first time. Of course The Cobbler is only 4 points and not a Munro. Put in perspective, the summit of Snowdon from the Pen-y-pass car park is a 750m climb.

Might I suggest that if points is your interest Ben Lawers, 809m ascent, 10 points makes more sense. It’s also much less boggy than The Cobbler and has a proper path up it.

Ah, but you’re coming in February, so boggyness won’t be the problem. :slight_smile:

Bring your thermals. It’ll be 10C around Arrochar tomorrow and about 1C on top of The Cobbler. Add in the windchill and -10C is the right ballpark. Of course it’s only Autumn and has yet to get cold.

Mike I wish you well for your trip and I hope the WX is better than last time you came up here. It was a tadge damp if I remember and we a few flurries of snow. You may be lucky and get a nice crisp and sunny day. But I think that if you’ve never climbed a GM 6pt hill before then February might not be the best time to start and Arrochar might not be the best place for a novice.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

All good points Andy, nw-43 took me 3 attempts to crack it, but I have done a lot worse/more difficult summits since, so I hope to crack a 6 pointer. Points mean nothing to me to be honest Andy, although I’ll gladly take the points, it’s more of a personal battle, since becoming diabetic I have had to improve fitness levels, you know the script because you made the same chages in lifestyle.

I should have been born a penguin, I’m at my best during the winter months and have the appropriate winter clothing etc. Severe cold doesn’t bother me as much as severe heat.

If I attempt a 6 pointer and struggle, I’ll turn back, it won’t be the first time, or the last. I have my eyes on a few possibles, but 4 pointers will be my main target. Having said that, if my back plays up it will be six pinters instead, hi.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Mike

let me know what your itinary is as soon as you have an idea and I may pop across and join u for a couple (hills as well as pints!) thats if the new Ms CFS lets me out. You will not be too far from my home QTH in Stirling.

Regards
Glyn GM4CFS

In reply to GM4CFS:

Hi Glyn

Unfortunately it will have to be decided spur of the moment due to local wx conditions Glyn. Lessons learned from last year, hi.

Mike

In reply to GM4CFS:

That sounds great Glyn. I was going to suggest the same as it would be great to meet with INKy, Mike and Mick and have a laugh on the hills. Sadly I’ve got business trips to San Diego and then Osaka scheduled in for February which makes it a non-starter for me as I’ll either be away or unable to take any holiday.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to GW0DSP:

Honestly, we are all just jealous - except me of course as I don’t
touch the stuff :wink:

73, Gerald

Should I get my Wellingtons?? LOL

Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G4FUJ:

I don’t think so Graham. The only Wellington you might need is here: http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk/

Good job it is closed at 5 a.m. or we would never get out of Stourbridge to do an activation!

73, Gerald