(For fun) Dear Santa

In reply to GW0DSP:

That’s a strange one Steve. I would have thought that an antenna once
tuned to a set qrg, stays on that qrg and the effect you were seeing
was a difference in VSWR due to antenna orientation, which in turn
fools the analyser into seeing a different resonant frequency for the
antenna.

Back to basics: an antenna presents, at a particular frequency, a feedpoint impedance, which in the general case is a complex value. Changing almost anything will change that impedance in some way. There are two degrees of freedom: resistance and reactance. Or, equivalently, magnitude and phase angle. “Resonant” is simply a shortcut for saying that the reactive part of the impedance is zero, i.e. purely resistive. It says nothing about the magnitude of the impedance.

Except in one special case, the feeder will transform the impedance to a different value. That special case is where the load impedance is the same as the characteristic impedance of the feeder. So if the antenna impedance is 50+j0, and you use 50 Ohm cable, you will “see” 50+j0 (which happens to look “resonant”).

If the antenna is resonant but at the wrong magnitude of impedance, then unless you are extremely lucky, there will be a reactive component at the far end of the feeder, and it will appear not to be resonant. Conversely you may see a resonance when in fact the antenna is not. Resonant does not necessarily mean that the load will be a good match for the transmitter.

So, keeping on topic, what you put on the Santa list is the type of antenna analyser that can compensate for the feeder. Typically this is all smoke and mirrors in software: the analyser can only measure one thing - complex impedance, but by calibrating with known loads at the far end of the feeder, you can calculate the effect of the cable and know exactly what is happening at the feed point as you change things.

The AIM4170 is an example of such a device.

In reply to M1MAJ:

Except in one special case, the feeder will transform the impedance to
a different value.

A glance at a Smith Chart will show that there are more special cases than you suggest Martin!

So, keeping on topic, what you put on the Santa list is the type of
antenna analyser that can compensate for the feeder.

A good book on transmission line theory would probably be more useful.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to M1MAJ:

That’s exactly what I was saying Martyn but without going deeply into the science behind it. For the same reasons you quote, I tend to refer to an antenna matching unit rather than an antenna tuning unit.

Conversely you may see a resonance when in fact the antenna is not.

A 50ohm dummy load proves that point to some extent.

The AIM4170 is a superb piece of kit Martyn, especially the feature which allows you to cancel the feeder from the equasion and look directly at the feedpoint of the antenna.

Mike

PS I don’t posses one.

In reply to G3CWI:

A good book on transmission line theory would probably be more useful.

Richard
G3CWI

Transmission line theory is a most fascinating subject in itself Richard, I agree with you 100%

Mike
GW0DSP

In reply to G3CWI:

A glance at a Smith Chart will show that there are more special cases
than you suggest Martin!

Sorry, yes there are other special cases for specific lengths of feeder. I believe there is only one case which leaves the impedance unchanged regardless of feeder length, which is what I was thinking of, though I concede that I didn’t say it.

In reply to GW7AAV:
Hi Steve I have just asked for an old oil lamp.The one with the Genie in All the best to everyone for Christmas and the new year. geoff G6MZX