Foel Goch nw039 any help with route appreciated

I am going to welshpool tomorrow to collect my repaired radio. I will activate Foel Goch NW 039 during the morning(and y Golfa nw061 after lunch if time). I tried this one a couple of months ago but went badly wrong somewhere with my directions and gave up, so any help tonight with the route from the parking spot sh962435 would be appreciated.

73’s mike G0HIO

UPDATE
Completed ok, was blowing a gale and I could not get the dipole to stay up so only fm.

Sorry if you were looking for me on CW, but I did try. Thanks to GW0DSP Mike and G0HIK Nick for the spots thought I would never make the 4 contacts using the rubber duck antenna, but finished with 7.

73’s to all Mike G0HIO

Hi Mike,

From the parking spot, head uphill away from the track, following a tree line. You emerge into a field where you follow the fence on your left right up to the edge of the Cwm / glacial valley, which is now dropping sharply to your left. The path now follows around the lip of the sharp valley end, but after the gate turns right uphill over a stile. This windy uphill trail leads you out onto the summit. It’s a nice one; enjoy.

Also, see the resources and links for this summit using the “Summits” link on here.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G0HIO:

Hi Michael, there is a slight chance that I might be across the valley from you on Mynydd Rhyd Ddu NW-073. I am visiting a friend in Din Mael, Maerdy and may get onto the summit while in the area. I recommend the Goat Inn on the A5 at Maedy for cracking food and a very warm welcome. Good luck with your activation.

73 Mike

In reply to M1EYP:
Thanks Tom. Not sure what i did wrong last time sure i found the right parking spot (had to open a gate, before going uphill to park)but i ran out of time and gave up.

73 mike

In reply to GW0DSP:
Ok Mike will look out for you. its difficult to estimate an accurate time travelling from Burton on Trent and then finding my way to the summit.
73 mike

In reply to G0HIO:

Same here Mike, depends on visit to my mate, but will try my best to activate the summit, no guarantee. I hope you have a good one.

73 Mike

In reply to G0HIO:

then finding my way to the summit.

It’s just over 1mile from the car parking area to the trig point. The ascent is 258m. Should take 45mins to get to the top. Factor in a few moments rest here and there and if it takes you more than hour, worry.

Use the links on the summit page and check out the maps link. The 1:25000 shows the path and fences. Once you get to the top of the cwm and turn right it’s less distinct. However, a good hint is to keep going up as the trig is at the top! :wink:

Enjoy yourself. The WX was awful when I was there.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy
I am normally confident about finding my way, just feel a bit unsure about this one after it got the better of me once before. I had already done Arenig Fawr and was hungry for points tried it as a second activation. Was possibly not so well prepared. It looks straight forward on the map.

Mike G0HIO

In reply to G0HIO:
UPDATE
Completed activation without to many problems, it was blowing a gale and I could not get the dipole to stay up so only fm.

Sorry if you were looking for me on CW, but I did try. Thanks to GW0DSP Mike and G0HIK Nick for the spots; thought I would never make the 4 contacts using the rubber duck antenna, but finished with 7.

73’s to all Mike G0HIO

In reply to G0HIO:

it was blowing a gale

It was like that when I was there. Absolute howler on the top but OK on the tracks up until we got to the top of the cwm. And it rained!

Glad you got enough contacts.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G0HIO:

Great job today Michael, thanks for the contact.
I’m so chuffed for you that you cracked it. I’m sorry that I didn’t make it to Mynydd Rhyd Ddu in time for a possible s2s, best laid plans and all that.

When I eventually got up to my friends and then up to Melin-y-Wig near the summit, the wind was gale force and the sky looked very dark. Having already activated the summit this year, I made the decision to give it a wide berth in such conditions.

Having been in the same area as yourself, I can only say that you deserve a medal for your activation in such conditions. Well done.

73 Mike

In reply to G0HIO:

it was blowing a gale

What no horizontal snow? You’ve obviously activated it too early Mike.

This summit is the place where I got the coldest I’ve ever been in my life. I couldn’t feel my feet until half way up my second summit - Cyrniau Nod - which was around 2 miles of walking. It was interesting driving through Bala between the summits - having to concentrate on my feet!

Pleased you made good with just 2m FM.

73, Gerald