Fishfone QRM on 60m

I have contacted OFCOM about the regular pirate intrusions onto the 60m band by some presumed fisherman from Ireland. The person I spoke to in the amateur and maritime section was exceptionally efficient and helpful and has passed my initial reports onto the next section. He stressed it may take some time before we seeing anything happening but in the meantime we can help.

The enforcement officers are better able to help us if we can help them. So that means they need logs of when the offences are committed. This is where SOTA chasers can help as we should be able to mobilise a large number of people who can monitor the band during daylight hours. The enforcement officers (sadly they know me well) have my details and will eventually contact me for more info. I am happy to act as central log holder and you can send me logs via email.

You should log times and frequencies you hear illegal activity. Also any information that may help with positive identification such as type of fish being caught, names, boat names, harbours etc. Most fisherman will give misleading position information over the air so that only their colleagues know the true position but these are still worth recording. You should also make sure you include your callsign and location (NGR or Maidenhead). Send these to me once a week (every Friday) to mm0fmf AT hotmail.com (do the obvious to that email address. I’ll make them available when requested.

We should be able to demonstrate amateurs acting in a positive and coordinated role here which should help with our continued access to this useful band. I’ve heard considerable QRMing of these pirate taking place. The most obvious source being frustrated amateurs. Everyone should also be aware that “official ears” may now be listening a lot more intently, so it’s time for our best behaviour then ladies!

Don’t let the fact I have contacted OFCOM stop you contacting them if you wish. I’m not sure whether many complaints will have more weight that giving them a single point of contact.

Andy
MM0FMF
mm0fmf AT hotmail.com

In reply to MM0FMF:

The Irish fishphone on 5.3980 USB has been well over S9 here on a number of occasions and has prevented me from chasing a few activations. So far I’ve heard nothing to identify them but will continue to monitor them. They sound as if they are from south of the border!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

This should be resolved now. Having spoken to OFCOM I was told to expect Baldock to contact me. I got a call at 11.20 and gave the details of what had been happening. The chap told me they fight a never ending battle against Scottish, Irish and Spanish fishermen and he wasn’t sure what could be done but they’d monitor the situation for a day or two. That didn’t sound too helpful but he did ask me to let them know at once if I heard them on again. I fired up my remote monitoring system and he rang me around 3.00pm to let me know they were on again. I contacted Baldock and left it at that. My remote monitor rang me shortly after to say the Coastguard had come on the frequency and told them to QSY in no uncertain terms. They did QSY and were last heard on 6812kHz. Someone else’s QRM now.

Hopefully that should be that for a while. Hats off to OFCOM, Baldock and the Coastguard for taking swift action. Action taken in less than one working day.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Well done, Andy, I last heard them yesterday morning, 1120 to 1150 UTC.

Brian G8ADD

Yes, well done. That’s 5.3985 and 7.032 “saved” by effective representations in recent days. FB.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to MM0FMF:

Well done Andy.

73’s

Robert
G0PEB