First Winter Activations of 2018/2019

Jarek, thanks for the contacts the last days.

73 Tonnie, de PA9CW.

2 Likes

Matt,

thanks for the contact from OE/ST-197. I was testing my KX-1, when I heared a cq with SOTA. After working you, I made a spot for you.

73 Tonnie, de PA9CW.

1 Like

Thanks for spotting! Your KX1 is doing FB.
Matt

1 Like

Great, I got inspired from your winter adventure and plan to go on one myself between X-mas and New Year. Today we have +4C and drizzle here but really hope for dry and cooler air and also some snow.
Nice to read and see pictures from your activation.

73’s Jaan
SM0OEK

2 Likes

Wintertime in Austria can be very delightful and challenging: OE5AKM off-shack — Schneeberg

73, Alfred, OE5AKM

4 Likes

I managed to sneak out again today, this time to Wildwiesen OE/ST-268. The weather was really nice this morning with plenty of sunshine and light winds. I would have gone for a six pointer, but my Paramo trousers are in the wash prior to some overdue repair work. The activation zone is huge and well furnished:

I set up away from the church door this time:

There was some really bad QRM today and as a result I was not able to get Bill G4WSB in the log. Someone DQRMd his RST twice in row. Perhaps we should be greateful that someone sees our activities as being important enough to need QRMing.
On a more positive note: there is a huge 34m tower at Wildwiesen. When the weather improves next year I may well try a full sized end fed for 80m from the top. 160m would work as well; the KX3 could use a day out for a change.
73 de OE6FEG / M0FEU
Matt

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

Managed my first 2018/2019 winter season activation on Wasserklotz OE/OO-248, 1505m.
Most of the snow from early December is gone but near the summit a little bit was there for the feeling.

Happy to have QSOs with the great OE5 SOTA community again :smile:
S2S with Ovi OE3ATB, Antonio @EC2AG and Lorenzo EA6KB

Here my video and pictures:

Summit:

On the way back the sun peaked thru

73 de Joe

7 Likes

Glad to see you’re out activating again Joe. I have come down with bronchitis now and have had to stay in this weekend😭. Hopefully I will be fighting fit for Tenerife from the 26/12 to 05/01. Maybe we will S2S in the New Year. If the weather in England is ok on either the 23rd or 24th of December then I may try Buckden Pike G/NP-009.
73 de OE6FEG / M0FEU
Matt

1 Like

Hello Matt,

Thanks!
Sorry to hear that. All the best so that you are again fit for Tenerife. :sunny:
A S2S would be fun but I’m so far a SSB only activator. You are more into CW as far as I know.
I have ordered a Morserino32 so let see how that turns out :wink:

Which callsign will you use for England and Tenerife? Just for OE SOTA people to watch out for your alerts/spots.

73 de Joe

2 Likes

Yeah, my Morserino is also on order. Please let us know how you get on with it. There is an iCW net on Wednesdays I think, if you want more practice before going on air. Unfortunately, I’m only taking the MTR3b to Tenerife. It’s a lot of hassle carrying two rigs plus batteries plus all my other electronic devices through security, so I decided to travel light.
de OE6FEG / M0FEU
Matt

3 Likes

This weekend the weather was brilliant in the North of England. I’m afraid it didn’t stretch to snow but the previous nights heavy rain made for some nice waterfalls.

The summit (702m) was nicely out of the mist and once I had managed to spot myself ( By rebooting the phone on the other side of the summit to go from no signal to loads of 4G…) had lots of contacts on 80m. Thanks to Helen (M0TMD) and Andy (MM0FMF) for the S2S. One of the chasers pointed out it was the 250th Activation of Buckden pike!

73 Paul

7 Likes

Your WX looks like mine. Cold but not cold! Thanks for the S2S. 60m was really buzzing, nice to work so many chasers.

Tinto Hill GM/SS-064 from Lamington Hill GM/SS-172

6 Likes

In Poland green winter so far - on the photo SP/BZ-038

Even in SP/TA snow is only on high altitude :wink:

4 Likes

In North Italy green winter, too…

I/LO-247

5 Likes

In OK/MO is fine. See you tomorrow on frequencies :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Good luck. I’m saving myself for Tenerife now. Weather permitting I will be on La Gomera for New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, so I should be able to make up some ground. I’ve been on antibiotics for the last week, so the sea air should do me good. Wishing you all happy and successful activations here in Europe.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

1 Like

OK/MO-001 today :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

OK/MO-001 from OK/OL-001 today :wink:

9 Likes

they look like people frozen in the snow lol

1 Like

it is a part of non working ski lift construction :wink:

another photo of OK/MO-001 from another direction is below

2 Likes