Fail to prepare = ...?

Sitting here, about to wrap myself around a bowl of hot porridge and honey, and reading Toms’ exploits which unfolded about 25 miles away from me last night, I wondered which would be the lesser of two evils, leaving an item on the kitchen table, or leaving an item back on the summit - whoops!

Ah well, I’ll have another cuppa, I think…

Hi Tom,
The galaxy tabs DO have a headset (rather than just earbud) 4 pin socket on them. One issue with the Wolphi-link can be the bias voltage on the audio line. If this is too low a voltage or cannot provide the current that the interface needs the Wolfi-link can have issues as it powers itself from the bias (aka Phantom power) on the line normally used for the electret mic. capsule in a headset. The fact that it works on receive does not illiminate this possiblity as more current is required for the VOX transmit circuit.

73 Ed.

This is where I’m different, before a SOTA activation I spend quite a while packing my bag, usually the night before. It’s normal for my bag packing to take 1 to 2 hours!

I’ve always preferred to have individual items rather than built in systems, I know some like to have ‘go bags’ which contain everything you need to grab at a moment’s notice. I have quite a number of rigs and antennas so I make a choice as to the band and modes that I want to do and then assemble all my gear.

I don’t have a tick list, I just mentally check stuff off as I pack my bag. I visualise my radio and it’s connectors, imagining each connecting piece and then make sure it’s in the bag.

For me, the bag packing is part of the activation, I actually enjoy the ritual!

2 Likes

Careful what you write Colin - you’ll be labelled OCD like others such as myself. :wink:

The key fact is that against his better judgement, on receipt of the new tablet Tom rushed up his local summit without any preparation whatsoever, thus totally abandoning the 6P principle. [quote=“M1EYP, post:1, topic:14319”]
This all struck me, all at once, just after parking on Cloudside
[/quote]
And still you went ahead! :grinning:

Have you defined what it is to be a “SOTA Wild Child”?

Planning is definitely a good idea, but don’t forget the companion “never, never, never give up” (Winston Churchill, who probably got it from a headmaster…)

There is great satisfaction to be had from coping with the unexpected. Indeed, life would be pretty boring if it all went to plan.

I have yet to forget a critical item on the way up. I have twice left my walking stick on or near the summit. That was early in my SOTA career, and in each case I walked back up to retrieve it. A lesson well learned, if rather slowly, I now make a point of doing a careful visual sweep before moving off!

Yes, my instinct was to find a way of getting up the hill and getting on the air in the small time window available, against all the odds and against better judgement. That sort of challenge amuses me, plus my stock answer to any family member getting miserable and pessimistic at QTHR is “There’s always a way…”. Well I now felt honour-bound to put my money where my mouth is.

Only thing is I now appear to have lost two good headtorches.

Hi Colin,
I must be somewaht pedantic, but I pack my bag and charge batteries ready to go on the same day that I come back from an activation. It is a real “Go bg”. That is … unless I decide I want to add something new to test out - and that where I have been known not to get it all packed right, but then (despite the extra weight) I still have the “standard setup” with me in any case.

Ed.

Earlier this year I climbed Ben Nevis and only managed 3 contacts on 145-fm. I wasn’t too concerned because I thought I had my hf equipment in the rucksack. I erected my 5 metres mast and then to my horror I found I had put in the wrong tupperware box so I didn’t have my KX-1! I then tried to no avail to get more contacts on 2 metres. Nothing for it but to go back down completely gutted! Three days later I tried again with my FT-817 and again managed only 3 contacts on 145-fm but 36 contacts on hf. That was quite an interesting couple of days on the Ben!
Nick

1 Like

Don’t worry Tom, it’s a reaction to the mega discipline that activators must go through over and over again.

1 Like

Ed, that would never work with me, it’s a bit like asking me what socks I’ll be wearing on a Tuesday in 4 weeks time!

I have three different MTR rigs, each with different band combos, I have the FT817, a gazillion RockMites etc. I can’t possibly pack them all with accompanying antennas, power cables etc. I did at one time write each rig down on a piece of paper and then I put the pieces of paper in a jar. For each SOTA activation I would draw a ‘ticket’ from the jar and then use the selected rig for my activation!

I do leave stuff on my pack ready for next time, but generally it comes out again and gets put back in during the packing process. My summit shelter, spare gloves and first aid kit tend to live in my pack. Trouble is, I have a lightweight pack (Mammut Lithium 32)and a heavyweight pack (Osprey Mutant 38) depending on the activation!

I did once have a preparation failure - I’d used hex bolts to hold my MTR-5B case together and when the rig’s uProc crashed during an activation, I had no way to reset the rig. I didn’t have amy means of removing the screws to get inside the case. Luckily I’d packed a spare rig! :smile: I called in at hardware shop on the way home and bought a hex key that now stays with the MTR-5B at all times!

2 Likes

Tom & all,

I forgot to take my telescopic pole on one activation - activation cancelled.

I wouldn’t mind but how can you forget a pole 1.2 metres long - derhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I now have a checklist to ensure I don’t forget anything.

73’s
David

We’ve all done something like that. Upon reaching the activation zone I found that my coax with PL-259 ends did not connect to the BNC fitting on my KX3. I had forgotten the adapter. Now I have checklists for different types of activations.

Easy, you think you’ve packed it and you haven’t. :wink: I’ve managed to activate a summit without a pole - I left it in the car. Thought I had lost it on the ascent and spent all the descent looking for it!. I can’t quite recall how I got around leaving the batteries at home on one occasion, but I did… I must dig out my activation report for a good laugh! Leaving your main feeder in the car does present a challenge. Thankfully, I’ve never forgotten the rig. :smiley:

I have. But I did remember the SLAB. I wish it had been the other way round. That experience prompted me to get a LiFePO

1 Like

Ah yes, my BC221 has one of those in a clip in the compartment where the spare valves are stored. Not that I’ve ever needed to dismantle it on a summit though :wink:

2 Likes

Ha ha that one did make me LOL for real! I feel for you!

I’ve had a few things left behind… but so far nothing terminal. My favourite seems to be my paper log and/or pencil. End up logging on my phone.

I remember the day I had to lend you a log book Gerald…happy days :slight_smile:

73 Allan GW4VPX

1 Like

Have had to log on the phone for one activation - never again, it was a nightmare! Now use a tablet and also have a small notebook for backup purposes.

Matt
VK1MA

1 Like

I don’t mind admitting I walked 6.5 km to the top of VK3/VC-003 Mt Ritchie with back pack, antenna, coax, coat, reading glasses, tarp, logging tablet, external keyboard, headphones, 8400 mHA battery, rope and throw weight. Everything for a comfortable activation and 8 points to my activation score.

Well, almost everything - no radio!

I returned a couple of weeks later and got the points then.

1 Like

Just read your post and thought to myself what do I need to check?
Headlight batteries that’s what. Pull out headlight, check batteries,batteries dead, replace batteries.
Thank you!
K7PX

2 Likes