F/DD6DO/P on F/PE-139

Today I tried to follow Stefan climbing F/PE-139 with APRS .
You will find here http://pagesperso-orange.fr/f6eno/APRS.htm
some Google Earth screen copies.

Info: French band plan: 7040 to 7100 = all mode
so Stefan was not out of law…

73 all
Alain F6ENO

In reply to F6ENO:

Info: French band plan: 7040 to 7100 = all mode
so Stefan was not out of law…

73 all
Alain F6ENO

If Stefan is signing F, surely he breaks the law if he transmitted above 7.100?

Barry
2E0PXW

In reply to 2E0PXW:

Did he transmit on 7.118 or was the frequency posted in error?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I don’t know to be honest Brian, I noticed the spot for that frequency and posted the facts, hoping that it might stop him breaking the cept agreement, especially while operating under the sota banner.
Fingers crossed it was an error spotted in time.

Barry 2E0PXW

In reply to 2E0PXW:
Sri again,

Looking better, I confirm that our band plan extends form 7.000 to 7100 KHz

Alain F6ENO

In reply to F6ENO:

Hi Alain

Thank you for the clarification, I was always led to believe that in France, 40 metres was up to 7.100 because many times in the spots we see requests such as, “PSE 7.090 for French stations”.
You have now left me and others feeling confused as to what the French 40m band plan is.
Maybe you can post a link showing the French 40m band plan?

Barry 2E0PXW

P.S. I responded to the post you removed, now I’m even more confused, hi. So was Stefan out of the band plan or not, presuming that he transmitted?

In reply to 2E0PXW:

I thought I saw a post by you Les G3VQO, but it seems to have disappeared, why?

Can someone give me a 100% definite answer. Are frequencies between 7.100 - 7.200 legal in France or not? Whenever I activate 40 ssb I am always asked to qsy below 7.100 for the French chasers.

Here’s a typical example from the spots page…

Sat 11:12 DL/G1INK/P on DM/BM-196 7.151 ssb
PSE QSY 7.090 FOR FRENCH STATION (Posted by F4CTJ)

Something is not quite right here!!

Barry 2E0PXW

In reply to 2E0PXW:
Barry the post was from G0AZS? I think.
http://hf.ref-union.org/planhf/060108plan_hf.pdf
I looked there and it was a .pdf of the French Band Plan. i did not see a publishing date. However it showed 7.100 to 7.200 but in the notes it started ‘En 2009’ and continued about listening ?
I read this as there is no permission to transmit above 7.100 but there might be a change next year. As someone who just managed to scrape a pass at O level French in 1964 I stand to be corrected.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

Yes, I saw that one Roger, but Les G3VQO also posted but deleted his post soon after, I was curious why he did so, here’s his post…

Post by G3VQO on 15th September 2008 at 15:59
In reply to F6ENO:

Je crois que non Alain.

Selon la REF-Union à http://accueil.ref-union.org/thf.ref-union.php dans la France de la Metropole la bande prolonge seulement de 7000 à 7100, à moins que ce soit démodée ?

73 de Les, G3VQO

Barry 2E0PXW

Whenever I activate 40 ssb I am always asked to qsy below 7.100 for the French chasers.

The only one I see in your log is F/G6OZZ/P, 25th August 2007? No joy with the others Barry?

A roundabout route, via the IARU website and then the French section led me to the Bandplans for France. The most recent one I could find was 2006, which indeed indicates that 7.100MHz is the upper limit at present for stations operating in France. They will get 7.100 to 7.200MHz from 1st January 2009 from what I can see.

SOTA General Rules state:

All operation must comply with the amateur radio licensing regulations and must use the permitted amateur radio bands of the country in which the Association is based.

…so this looks like an unfortunate misunderstanding - if indeed there were QSOs on 7.118MHz, which is yet to be established.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Hello all,

ham-radio is not allowed between 7.100-7.200 in France.

If you have a look at the “DX-summit” under function:
“search - 40m - phone” you will find only one "black-sheep on 7.150 :wink:

Of course it´s a bit confusing if you just read the “CEPT-bandplans” which says:
ECC/REC 05-05 “Early access for the Amateur service to the band 7100 - 7200 kHz” gives administrations within CEPT the opportunity to allow stations in the Amateur Service to use the band 7100 - 7200 kHz on a secondary basis provided that the transmitter output power does not exceed 24 dBW (250 Watts).

Vy73 Fritz dl4fdm,hb9csa

In reply to M1EYP:

SOTA General Rules state:

All operation must comply with the amateur radio licensing regulations
and must use the permitted amateur radio bands of the country in which
the Association is based.

…so this looks like an unfortunate misunderstanding - if indeed
there were QSOs on 7.118MHz, which is yet to be established.

Tom M1EYP

Tom, we all know that at present it’s up to 7.100 in France and that the bandplan will be extended to 7.200 in 2009, but to call this “an unfortunate misunderstanding” is very irresponsible of an MT member in my opinion. I would describe it as a major disaster if he did indeed transmit out of bandplan, even worse, he would have broken the law in the name of SOTA!!
This is a serious issue and needs addressing immediately. You have banned people for things which are absolutely trivial compared to this, let’s not try and cover it up, but educate, so it never happens again!!

Barry 2E0PXW

In reply to 2E0PXW:

Maybe you can post a link showing the French 40m band plan?

The link given up is OK.

BANDE 7 MHz (7,000 - 7,200 )
Limites de la bande en France métropolitaine et département de la Réunion : 7,000 - 7,100 MHz
Statut en France métropolitaine et département de la Réunion :
7,000 - 7,100 MHz Bande attribuée en exclusivité au service d’amateur

The only main sentence is:
Limites de la bande en France métropolitaine et département de la Réunion : 7,000 - 7,100 MHz

French and Reunion band limits are 7.000 → 7.100 MHz

73 all
Alain

In reply to F6ENO:

Thanks Alain for confiming the band limits at present.

Barry 2E0PXW

In reply to 2E0PXW:

I would describe it as a major disaster if
he did indeed transmit out of bandplan, even worse, he would have
broken the law in the name of SOTA!!

Wow! a major disaster ?
Must we hang him up ?

Please friends, slow down ! Stefan made a mistake as we all could do it !
For me, it was realy a nice climbing. Congratulation Stefan !

Alain

In reply to F6ENO:

Please friends, slow down ! Stefan made a mistake as we all could do it !

Yes and I think it happened also to other hams
because of the IARU-Regio 1-bandplan:

http://www.darc.de/bandplan/pdf/kwbandplan_col_eng_1.pdf

Vy73 Fritz dl4fdm, hb9csa

PS. no problems for CW-people on this :slight_smile:

In reply to F6ENO:

Wow! a major disaster ?
Must we hang him up ?

Please friends, slow down ! Stefan made a mistake as we all could do
it !
For me, it was realy a nice climbing. Congratulation Stefan !

Alain

No, we must not hang him up Alain, in the UK enough good OM’s have already been hung up for their heinous crimes, but we must make all OM’s aware so that it does not happen again, we operate under the sota banner and the rules plainly tell us that we have a responsibility to know our band limits, if we transmit outside our band limits, we become pirates, and sota gets a bad name, that’s all I’m saying. Better it’s out in the open for all to learn from.

Barry 2E0PXW

Do we know for sure that the SOTA QSOs were above 7.100 for sure yet? Could have been a typo by the spotter maybe? In any case, I’m sure the activator and chasers can amend their logs accordingly if they find that any of their logs are invalid.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Do we know for sure that the SOTA QSOs were above 7.100 for sure yet?
Could have been a typo by the spotter maybe? In any case, I’m sure
the activator and chasers can amend their logs accordingly if they
find that any of their logs are invalid.

Tom M1EYP

You look at all possibilities or excuses bar one Tom.
I’m stunned by your response. What a lenient attitude, what a piy that attitude couldn’t have been adopted and displayed closer to home.

Barry

Yes, I think looking at all possiblities is important. Sensible and responsible I would say, as opposed to “lenient”.

The activator has valid QSOs on 20m, so there is no danger of him losing the activation points if he does need to delete any 40m QSOs that turn out to be invalid. The chasers can do the same.

Barry, I still don’t follow your “Whenever I activate 40 ssb I am always asked to qsy below 7.100 for the French chasers” remark. Can you explain?

73, Tom M1EYP