Even more GI SOTA

Well me and him (M1EYP & M0HGY) are in GI once again, for a short family break to see Grandad Jimmy before Christmas.

We’re heading up Divis GI/AH-004 - the hill that stands tall above Belfast - in the next hour or two. We’re also planning Carnearny GI/AH-009.
We’ve done them both before of course having completed GI earlier this year, but not for many years. Also Divis should be completely different to last time with the MOD installation gone from the top, and the addition of a visitor centre and new paths. Carnearny is just a new name - it was called Tobernaveen Hill on both our previous activations.

Carnearny will be an early morning effort with hopes of fulfilling a PSK sked to VK. But first, a return to Divis, a fine mountain with great views over Belfast city and Belfast Lough.

2 Likes

Well that was great. The weather wasn’t ideal on the afternoon of Tuesday 21st November 2017 - some fine drizzle in the mist initially, but constant fog meaning no views at all.

Great walk though. You can now drive along the access road as far as the car park at the new (since we were last there) visitor centre. We took careful note of the sign that told us the gate would be looked at “4pm sharp” and began our walk.

We followed the “Summit trail” which was a great circular route mainly on metalled roads but with a large section on a new zigzagging engineered path.

It was nice to find the trig point on the summit in the part that was covered by M.O.D. buildings 9 years ago. Jimmy and I set up our stations adjacent to each other just down a small bank for shelter.

Jimmy made 6 QSOs on 2m FM using his FT-817 and SOTABEAMS MFD. I made 11 on 20m CW with my FT-817 and GP antenna, all known chasers.

A very pleasant short activation and circular stroll. Really looking forward to the early morning activation on Thursday.

The rain here, this afternoon and especially now, is in the biblical phase. You must have been lucky to avoid the worst.

That’s coming here tomorrow Andy. Flood warnings on the Ulster TV evening news. We won’t be activating tomorrow.

Meanwhile, after an evening of drinking and eating in Belfast we will be tuned into this:

https://beta.uploadradio.com/shows/the-liam-read-show/episodes/episode-11-1

Liam’s interest in radio is slightly different to mine and Jimmy’s - but it’s pretty cool nonetheless.

10pm tonight worldwide online - or on DAB in Liverpool, Chester and Wrexham. (You can actually receive this DAB multiplex in Macclesfield too!)

Here are some photos of the Divis GI/AH-004 activation.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like