EU's highest hiking summit

A group SOTA excursion to Europe’s highest hiking summit

Dear SOTA activators,
I propose that we mark the 10th anniversary of HB9SOTA with a 2-day mountain trip to Europe’s highest hiking summit. During our hike there and during our evening meal at the Turtmanhütte Alpine hut we can get to know each other better and exchange our knowledge and experiences about SOTA activations. Hans HB9BQU and I (president of HB9SOTA) made this wonderful mountain hike in July 2013 and thus are very familiar with the route. I would please ask any activators who are interested in joining us to reserve the dates listed below and please inform me of their interest to participate in this hiking trip. Depending on the weather forecast, we will then tell you which date we have selected. For the sake of simplicity, each person is to make his/her own overnight reservations at the Alpine hut by calling the number +41 27 932 14 55. The Turtmanhütte is small (built for 80 people), so I ask that you make your reservation as early as possible. In August on a Saturday this hotel is normally fully booked. (http://www.turtmannhuette.ch/)

Note: This is not a formal event but simply a notification that SOTA activators will be gathering together for an activation; health/accident insurance is the responsibility of every individual.

I would be delighted if as many people as possible could join us for our first group SOTA hike. Tks to Paul, HB9DST for the translation!

73 de HB9BIN, Jürg Regli
President, HB9SOTA
Association Manager Switzerland

Summit:
HB/VS-078

Number of SOTA points:
10 points

Height:
3610 m ASL

Coordinates:
N 4609.357 / E 744.046

Date:
22/23 August 2015

Alternate date:
29/30 August 2015 (one week later)

Meeting point / getting there
Every individual gets to the Turtmanhütte Alpine hut on their own, and we will meet as a group for the evening meal at roughly 17:30. For the hike from the parking lot to the hut, depending on your physical condition, you need 2 to 3 hours for the 4.1 km and ascent of almost 700 meters.

For those who wish to hike from the parking lot to the Alpine hut as a group, we will depart at 06.00. at the Turtmannhütte

Getting to the parking lot:
By car: Rhonetal – Turtmann – Turtmanntal – Gruben (N 4612.580 / E 742.249) – Hungerli – Vorder Sänntum (parking lot)
By public transportation: Take the train to Turtmann in the Rhone Valley, then walk 15 minutes to the LTUO gondola (Seilbahn) station. This gondola takes you up to Oberems. From there you ride the Turtmanntal Taxi (+41 27 932 15 50) to Gruben. This bus runs only very sporadically, scheduled departures are at 08:13, 10:13 and 14:13, and the ride is a bit longer than 1/2 hour. You can also order the taxi-bus for a specific time (the fee is CHF 30.00 plus CHF 4.00 per person). When you get to Gruben, there is a hike of 1 hour (3.2 km, 100m ascent) to the Vorder Sänntum parking lot (but upon request the bus will drive the entire way to the parking lot at the end of the road.)

Coordinates at the starting point:
Vorder Sänntum: N 4611.135 / E 741.754

Meals/accommodations:
Evening meal, overnight stay and breakfast in the Turtmanhütte (in 2014 the price was CHF 75.00, www.turtmannhuette.ch). Beds are in bunk rooms that have between four and 12 beds that are provided with a Nordic duvet. In most Alpine huts, for hygenic reasons it is mandatory to have a sleeping bag liner (Hüttenschlafsack); this can be purchased at the hut but will be cheaper to buy ahead of time. Vegetarian meals can be provided if you provide advance notice. For the sake of simplicity, each person is to make his/her own overnight reservations at the hut by calling +41 027 932 14 55.

Hiking trail:
Gruben – Sänntum – Damm – Turtmannhütte (2519M.ü.M) – Gässi – turn left at Point 3090 – Üssers Barrhorn

Level of difficulty:
T3+, the most dangerous spot is Gässli and is partially secured with wire ropes. The ascent is almost 1100 meters.

Distance / hiking trail
Vorder Sännturm to the Turtmannhütte: 4.1 km / 700 meters ascent
Turtmannhütte to the summit at Üssers Barrhorn: 4.37 km / 1100 meters ascent

Time needed for the hike:
Round trip: 9 - 11 hours depending on your physical condition

Provisions for antennas:
There is adequate space on the summit, but there is only one metal summit cross to which you can attach a mast!

Equipment:
Sturdy hiking boots, hiking poles, plenty of water and warm clothing plus waterproof jacket in event of a sudden rainstorm or high winds. Due to weight not every person must bring along a separate station!

Mobile phone reception: Yes

1 Like

If you are seriously interested in this excursion, I recommend you book your bed in the hut quickly. The Turtmannhütte is extremely popular on summer weekends. In fact, our alternate weekend is already more than half booked up! When you call, mention that you are with the “Regli group”, and be sure to reserve both the first date and the alternate date.

73 and see you there
Paul HB9DST / AA1MI

Now that’s quite impressive! I’ve struggled to get reception on most of even the single pointers in G/WB… Even at home half the time!

Best of luck with it :smile:

Don
M0HCU

Lovely area, I spent quite a lot of time in Zinal when I was preparing for my International Mountain Leader summer assessment.

I’ve just noted how many unactivated summits there are! I climbed Becs de Bosson HB/VS-161 in 2008 and it was just a simple scramble to the top. A heck of a view point though with some impressive drops surrounding the summit. There must be so many reasonably accessible unactivated summits in that area.

Ah, just found this.

There are a few more pictures from that summit. It’s crying out to be activated… :smile:

EDIT: of course this is pre-SOTA for me… grrrrrrrrr!

Great idea to do this highest hiking summit.

1 Like

Me too Gerald - like you all pre SOTA for me also. Just a shame I cannot get away theses days. I would love to go back and activate a whole load again for SOTA.
Good luck George and enjoy!
Barry
M0IML

1 Like