Editing the "new article" feature to include more

Hi all,
I was wondering if there’s ever been any talk or thought given to editing the “new article” template? As it stand right now, there’s jut one block of text for people to enter anything they want. I was thinking it might be nice to include some extra fields to encourage people to enter full information (assuming they have it) and better organize it. Fields that could be added include (example answers in parentheses):

1. Antenna supports available? (rocks, small bushes, trees)
  2. Water available on trail? (Usually only from November-June)
  3. Length of hike? (14 miles round trip)
  4. Total elevation gain? (4,500 feet)

And so on… As you can see, this would provide a nice quick snapshot of the hike upfront. I know oftentimes I forget to add some of these details because the structure is not there for me to enter it.

Your thoughts?

Tim
K6TW

Anyone??

In reply to K6TW:

Hi all,
I was wondering if there’s ever been any talk or thought given to
editing the “new article” template? As it stand right now, there’s jut
one block of text for people to enter anything they want. I was
thinking it might be nice to include some extra fields to encourage
people to enter full information (assuming they have it) and better
organize it. Fields that could be added include (example answers in
parentheses):

1. Antenna supports available? (rocks, small bushes, trees)
  2. Water available on trail? (Usually only from November-June)
  3. Length of hike? (14 miles round trip)
  4. Total elevation gain? (4,500 feet)

And so on… As you can see, this would provide a nice quick snapshot
of the hike upfront. I know oftentimes I forget to add some of these
details because the structure is not there for me to enter it.

Your thoughts?

Tim
K6TW

In reply to K6TW:
Good idea, Tim. On the chance it doesn’t happen, I put your template on half of a 3X5 card and taped it to the back of my netbook.
Elliott K6ILM

In reply to K6ILM:
While it may be of value for these things to be included in the entry for a summit, I think we have to leave it up to the writer to decide what details are to be included. Some people would be put off authoring an article if entry fields such as these were included. Its a case of … if these are required and I don’t know all the answers, I won’t bother. So few people think about making an entry at all, we wouldn’t want to appear to be prescriptive even if it is not really the case, and put anyone off.
73 Jim G0CQK

In reply to G0CQK:

Why not edit the ‘Resources’ paragraph and add the items as suggestions? It could be something as simple as the sentence below, perhaps it will garner more information without it being a formal request?

“Length of hike, elevation gain, possible antenna supports, views, etc.”

Modified ‘Resources’ paragraph below. I’m sure others can come up with something even better?

'73,
Jim/KK1W

Resources
Feel free to add external links and articles relating to this summit that activators and chasers may find useful or interesting. Length of hike, elevation gain, possible antenna supports, views, etc.
Please read the disclaimer notice at the bottom of the page.

In reply to G0CQK:

That’s easy. Just put “(Optional)” next to each field.

Tim
K6TW