Easy SOTA

Wow!!
From last contact on the first 8 point summit to first contact on the second 8 point summit = 34 minutes.
27 activator points scored before 09:00.

By the end of the day, if no problems arise, 125 activator points scored in one day.
At that rate, Mountain Goat in just 8 days and Shacksloth available for the chasers in the same 8 days!!!

I wonder what the current highest daily activator score is for the UK?

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:
I collected 17 points this weekend, mainly because of DL6UNF, DH8DX as well as LX1NO.
Eric

In reply to GW0DSP:

Know exactly what you mean!

After yesterday’s trials, I think I’ll start a thread called “Hard SOTA”. Not the most enjoyable 13 points that Paul and I have ever earned - it should have been 24, but we preferred to get home in our own transport and not in a pair of black limosines with wooden interior fittings!

On a lighter note: “I wonder what the current highest daily activator score is for the UK?” - doesn’t John YSS hold that record for Helvellyn + Seat Sandal + Fairfield + St Sunday Crag + bonus = 44 points (2nd March 2006)? Or does someone else claim the prize?

73, Gerald

P.S. On checking John’s record, I see he excelled himself on 7th March 2007 by adding Place Fell to the above quartet - a mere 51 points in total.

In reply to SM1TDE:

Hi Eric,

I think it would be a miracle to score 40 activator points in a single winter day in the UK.

I was refering to one of the DL stations alerts when I quoted the above post. I’m not sure how they actually did on the day, but it seems incredible the thought of MG or Shacksloth in just 8 days.

I will be in DL for a week in June and look forward to activating over there and meeting lots of our EU friends at F/shafen.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald

It sounds as if you and Paul had some fun and games yesterday then.

Not sure on the UK record for a single day, but 125 points and on a winter day with dark at 18:00 the mind boggles. MG or SS in 8 days, WOW!!

73 Mike

P.S. I just saw your P.S. and John’s record score of 51 points, sort of makes food for thought compared to 125.

In reply to GW0DSP:

It sounds as if you and Paul had some fun and games yesterday then.

Nah, just 70mph winds and over 8 hours of rain. Worst weather that I’ve experienced on a hill in my entire life!

73, Gerald

P.S. about your P.S. - yes John certainly earned his points. It would have been a task on a pleasant day in summer. I don’t know how he does it!

G0AOD and myself managed 39 points this weekend, would have managed 44 if we could have been bothered to do the last two pointer of the day.

A cracking weekend even with all the antenna and battery problems suffered.

Weather was a bit rough, wind, snow, rain, more wind, (not the beans)rain and snow.

GW/NW-040 was just plain nasty on the weather front Sunday morning with 60+ mph winds, rain and snow but GW/NW-034 offered us great summit views by the cairn in the afternoon.

Steve

In reply to G4OIG:

yes John certainly earned his points. It would have been a task on
a pleasant day in summer. I don’t know how he does it!

I know how he does it, have you seen him? He’s got 8ft long legs and not a pick of excess flesh on him anywhere. Me… I’m more like Ernie Wise, short, fat and hairy!

You can get 40 points if you do the Lawers Ridge then Meall Corranaich and Meall a’Choire Leith (1x10 + 3x8 + 1x6). There’s no intervening driving either. You need two cars or to leave bikes at one end though else it’s a long walk back. And, that’s 5 Munros aswell.

The sheer number of ticks on lists is awesome! :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to 2E0KPO:
It wasn’t just me, then! I turned back from an intended double of Fairfield and Seat Sandal in heavy rain and high winds on Saturday, the wife turned back near the top of the cascades on Raise Beck and I got as far as the path above Grisedale Tarn before deciding it was just too silly!

Just a typical day in the LD!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4OIG:
Thanks for Snowdon on 70cm.

Looking through my spreadsheet at home it would appear to be a unique for me, which I found hard to believe. I was sure I had it in the log somewhere, but so far haven’t found it.

Well done in such trying condx.

Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G4FUJ:

Graham, it was indeed a pleasure and a real surprise to work you. I assume that the unique refers to 70cms rather than all bands, but if it is the latter case then it is particularly pleasing. There have only been 8 70cms SOTA QSOs from Snowdon and I was responsible for 5 of them on Saturday. As can be seen from the webpage figures, 23cms has seen a much greater level of activity:

80m 8 1%, 60m 15 1%, 40m 1 <1%, 30m 2 <1%, 20m 3 <1%, 4m 8 1%, 2m 1279 95%, 70cm 8 1%, 23cm 20 1%.

Best wishes for the coming week and beyond.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

All bands - that why I was surprised! Knew I hadn’t done it on 70cm.

Thanks for the wishes - heading for Saddleworth on Wednesday. How long we’ll be there I’m not sure yet. Will take the radio and pole in case I get a chance to wander out, though it may only be walk-in WAB areas.

73 - look forward to the next one (hope the WX better for you!! ;o) )
Graham G4FUJ

In reply to GW0DSP:
“I was referring to one of the DL stations alerts when I quoted the above post.”

Just had a look at the DB and if I am seeing it right…. 5 x 8 pointer, 1 x 6 pointer and 4 x 10 pointers in a day, makes a mockery of the award scheme IMHO

In reply to SM1TDE:

I collected 17 points this weekend, mainly because of DL6UNF, DH8DX as
well as LX1NO.

Eric, don’t you had a QSO with ON/F5AKL/P on ON/ON-002 at 15h07 ??
If yes, you got 8 pts more… !!!
Best 73
Alain F6ENO

In reply to 2E0KPO:
I think that is what is called a “level” playing field :wink:

In reply to 2E0KPO:

Just had a look at the DB and if I am seeing it right…. 5 x 8 pointer,
1 x 6 pointer and 4 x 10 pointers in a day, makes a mockery of the
award scheme IMHO

You never sign your comments with your name or I’d use it in this reply. Anyway <insert_name> you need to take a much more Zen view of the awards. The awards are not a contest but merely a recognition of achievement. Becoming a mountain goat, for example, says nothing more than you have climbed and activated 1000pts of summits. Be that 100x 10 pts or 1000x 1pts.

It shouldn’t matter a jot whether someone in a different association to you has an easier route to becoming MG. The only thing that matters is your own achievement. You only devalue your own achievement by becoming consumed with the envy and bitterness that someone else might have achieved goatdom for less effort than yourself.

Cast off the shackles of point scoring and go out in the countryside and enjoy it’s beauty, enjoy the exercise, take some photos and play radio. Believe me, when you stop worrying about the points and what everyone else is scoring, you enjoy SOTA activation so much more.

Feel free to disagree as I really wont mind or care.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Excellent points Andy. However, it’s not very nice at the bottom of the very steep playing field where the majority are playing an honest game in the mud. Worse still, consider how someone not involved in SOTA views the inequality - and the situation will only get worse with time!

73, Gerald

In reply to MM0FMF:

Andy, I neither agree or disagree as I see both sides, but I suppose you realise that the logical extension of your stance is to abstain from scoring at all, to activate without goals or achievements?

Such a sublime indifference to the outcome would for most people remove the motivation to exert yourself, and undergoing the undoubted privations attendent on achieving the illusion of success would become pointless self-flagellation.

Driving yourself onward to the summit in the face of foul conditions and physical discomfort surely depends on the conviction that the outcome matters? From there it is but a small step to goals, achievements, scores and a concern that such an intrinsically irrational activity be governed by rules which prevent it from all fading away like a waking dream.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

is to abstain from scoring at all, to activate without goals or achievements?

No, I didn’t say that. You need to stop comparing your achievements with others.

By all means set yourself goals, such as only doing HF CW, or only 2m SSB, or 70cms. Ot targets of 30 points activating a month, or goatdom in a year, or whatever. Set targets you want to achieve and aim for them.

But don’t get bothered because someone else can get 100 points activating a month for a 10th of the effort you need to get 10 points.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

No, you certainly did not say that, Andy, but as I see it that is the logical conclusion of what you did say.

For most people, achievement can only be measured by comparison. They look up to great achievers and struggle to surpass their peers. Rejecting external comparisons is a fine ideal, but most people could not live up to this ideal, their achievements are only meaningful to them if compared to the achievements of others. The spirit of competition is their prime motivation, they are driven to achieve by the desire to excel.

I salute such ideals, the world would perhaps be a better place if such ideals were more widespread, but I fear that most people would not even comprehend them.

Brian