My first posting on here as a relative newcomer to SOTA and a complete beginner as an activator. I did my first activation last week up on my local hill (CE-001) and got most things right. The main problems were;
a. leaving my mobile at home so I couldn’t self spot.
b. leaving my gloves at home because I thought it was a warm day (frozen hands).
c. Not having long enough velcro straps to go round the convenient fence posts.
d. Not taking any food or drink.
Well today, with my fully laden rucksack, I thought I’d have a second practice attempt (need to get it right before we venture too far!).
Set up went as planned until I went to connect the rig to the ATU. Yes you guessed, I’d left the vital BNC to RCA adaptor at home
What’s more, I’d left my tool kit in the car a mile down the road.
I managed to cut the BNC plug off one end of the patch lead and strip the insulation with a combination of keys and teeth. I then bodged the connection to the ATU with a couple of convenient twigs. The operating was a bit erratic as the twigs parted company a few times when I moved. I hope I don’t end up with a big dentist bill soon!
Oh well we learn form our mistakes.
Thanks to everyone for their patience today.
I’ll be back for more.