Datamode - FT8

Then you are one of the offenders!
:grin:

Walt (G3NYY)

This is going to be especially inconvenient when using a tablet without a physical keyboard.

Would it be possible for SOTA activations to use a hard split on the radio so the activators listen up? Then we could spread ourselves around the edges of the FT8 operations with activators at the bottom and chasers at the top. Yes I know that would be confusing but it may solve some issues. Or maybe not.

I know that that there are official recommendation frequencies for FT8 and other digi modes, too.
What about choosing/spotting other frequencies for SOTA that permit all-mode operation per bandplan.
And then just spot that specific frequency.

This would reduce non-SOTA stations quite a bit on that QRG and getting identified as SOTA activation a lot easier.

73 Joe

1 Like

Strange as it may seem, that sounds like a very good idea. If SOTA activators transmitted just below the low edge of the recognised FT8 segments (for example just below 14.074 or just below 7.074), and they advertised on SOTAwatch that they would be looking for chasers about 2.5 kHz - 3 kHz higher, that would work very well.

Alternatively, Joe’s suggestion of moving SOTA operation right out of the recognised FT8 band segments would also work, so long as chasers knew where to look for the activators.

Walt (G3NYY)

Indeed! Version .rc3 makes use of the Alt, Shift and Ctrl keys to control the behaviour of the software when selecting a frequency. I don’t know how you would do that without a physical keyboard.

Walt (G3NYY)

Someone needs to point out that shift/alt keys and tablets are awkward combinations and a tablet mode needs to be considered before rc3 becomes a final release. ISTR there is a forum where people can input this kind of info to the people writing the UI software.

This seems to be the forum: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/wsjtgroup

Thanks! Very interesting.

I see there are some animated discussions there about “split vs non-split operation”. I fall firmly into the “non-split” camp in all but exceptional situations. I am going to revert to version .rc2 of the software, because there are several features of .rc3 that I dislike.

Walt (G3NYY)

RC3 doesn’t force you to work split. If Hold Tx Freq is unticked then double clicking in the band activity window moves both your TX and RX frequencies, i.e. simplex.

In .rc3 the only way to answer a CQ caller on his own frequency is to hold down the Ctrl key whilst you click on his callsign in the “Received messages” window - irrespective of whether “Hold TX Frequency” is ticked or not.

I have now re-installed .rc2 and it suits me much better.

Walt (G3NYY)

Not how it works for me. I am actually on 10m now working non-split. I have Hold Tx Freq unticked. When I double click on the CQ it is moving RX and TX.

1 Like

Well, you are contradicting yourself now. Because only yesterday you said “I always work split”.

Walt (G3NYY

I’ve been working non-split solely to confirm that RC3 does not force split on you. Are you now going to reinstall RC3 and confirm that what I said is correct?

No.

Even if you hate split working there are at least two good reasons to install it. It can cope with up to 2.5s of DT and it is also better and faster at decoding signals. So fewer failed QSOs.

Hi All,

I’ve run all three variants of FT8 ans have to say rc3 is definitely the best. Reading the release notes is highly recommended. I have no problems working “:simplex” or “split” whenever I choose and don’t understand why some find it hard. Maybe my brain is wired differently.

Most problems are operator error or operators expecting a different response to the buttons (same thing really).

The “zoo” develops because we have such a good piece of software that any fool can work DX and is there trying. The rush for rare stations causes the worst behaviour. I admit to having raised my power level to 75 W in order to complete a few contacts when the band started to fade. Except for an occasional flash from the sun, propagation is dismal, except for those using FT8.

Yesterday I ran FT8 with 3.5 W in a QRP contest. Three contacts in 1 hr. The VK’s and ZL’s mostly deemed me not worth working - not DX. ie within 3,000 km.

For SOTA JT8 may not be the best choice for sitting and calling if you are not DX. Alerting and spotting are essential. Clear channels are easier to find here below 500 Hz or above 2 kHz.

I think Ed’s idea of a radio with a powerful computer running applications. A daylight screen is the key to portable use.

Ron
VK3AFW

Hi all,

Just stumbled over that piece of hardware. Might be interesting as long as eyes are working fine:

It is already available at different online shopping platforms.

• Lightweight laptop
  • Ubuntu or Windows
  • Screen resolution big enough for WSJT-X
  • Powerful enough

Not sure if soundcard does support 48kHz/16bit

73 Joe

1 Like

Looks good Joe, although not really inexpensive.

Do we really need a keyboard to do FT8?

Depends. There is probably a growing and justifiable need for a version of the FT8 designed for portable use on a tablet as opposed to running on a full PC with a big monitor.