Database problems

Trying to enter my chases from today in the database but I keep being logged out and have to log in again and redo all the entry up to when I was logged out again. Several times I have got as far the “I Agree” page and then I get this error message…

An error has occured whilst saving the Chaser Details :
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at SOTA.AddChaserEntry.AddEntry(SqlConnection dbConnection, Int32 userID, Int32 summitID, DateTime activationDate, String timeOfDay, String ownCallsign, String otherCallsign, String notes, String band, String mode) in D:\SOTA\AddChaserEntry.cs:line 124 at SOTA.AddChaser2.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\SOTA\AddChaser2.aspx.cs:line 85

In reply to GW7AAV:

I have had similar problems with all entries after Jan 1st so no points aquired so far for 2009 .

G0TRB / GB1WAB .

Same problem here. It seems to coincide with the fixing of the other bugs, and the smarter new display of the Database that Gary has done today. He is now aware of this new problem.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I can’t log in to check my chaser log Tom, the system just keeps asking me to sign in.

Not to worry, I always back my logs up to .csv files and I’ll wait until the team sorts the problem out out.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:
Mine`s ok :slight_smile:

In reply to G1INK:

Yes, but you only have a little one.

In reply to GW0DSP:

Activator logging seems to be working. Well I could add my log for today OK and the totals all seem correct. The only thing which isn’t working is saving the log as a .csv file.

Andy
MM0FMF

All Database problems should now be rectified. However, we haven’t had much time to fully test everything out, so further reports of issues would be welcome.

Thanks to Gary G0HJQ for the smart new look and improved performance of the Database.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

All working fine here now Tom.

Thanks for the quick fix Gary.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Activator database seems to be all OK aswell.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom
The new database does not work with Google Chrome. All menus default to Sota Home page. OK in Firefox.
David/G4CMQ

In reply to G4CMQ:

There’s an interesting “feature” of the menus in both Firefox and Opera. If you highlight a menu item and put the mouse pointer on the blank space after the menu title and click then nothing happens. You have to put the pointer on the word and click to select the menu item. On both Firefox and Opera you can see the link URL expanded at the bottom of the screen and if you are not pointing to the word then there’s no link visible.

I’ll bet a crisp new £9 pound note that this is what you are seeing with Chrome, especially as Chrome is based on the same codebase as Firefox.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy
Please send the £9 note to QTH as in QRZ.com because that is not the problem. All menus default to http://database.sota.org.uk/default.aspx and are not expandable. When the mouse is over the words the expanded url is a javascript, something like “_doPostBack(Header.1$Menu…”
Mystifying.
David/G4CMQ

In reply to G4CMQ:

Indeed you are right. I shall print some more £9 notes tomorrow on the nice A3 colour printer at work and send you one! :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4CMQ:

Unfortunately, the menus do not appear at all when using Safari. Attempting to click on a menu just “reloads” the front page of the database.

Firefox seems to be OK.

Dave M0MYA

GM,
Still no success in accessing the data base with Chrome. Not keen to revert to Explorer. Any solutions?
73, Frank

In reply to G3RMD:

I can heartily recommend Mozilla Firefox browser. I`ve used it for years without problem as have lots of others I know. Free download from Mozilla.com

In reply to G3RMD:

Firefox and/or Opera Frank.

Chrome works but I don’t like the feel of it. All browsers are an acquired taste however.

I’d recommend the following plugins for Firefox:

AdBlock Plus (blocks adverts etc.)
NoScript (blocks Javascript etc. you can allow/disallow what runs.)
Mouse Gestures Redox (makes broswing with one hand easier. i.e. press right mouse, then left mouse button and you go back a page)

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Thank you (all) for the suggestions, which I will try. The previous database worked fine using Chrome, Does it’s url still exist, as it met all my needs!
Frank