Database Fun

Impressive Mick. 22 number one spots on the DB is by far the best so far, and it looks like you still have 2005, 2004 and 2003 to look at yet. It could take some beating!

There are 44,100 recognised combinations in the SOTA Honour Rolls that you could be the best at! I’d have never imagined that my own forte would be 15m CW activating, in England, in 2007!!!

Tom

In reply to GM4CFS:

you are the ONLY GM to have activated 80m CW

Only GM to have logged 80m CW activations for 2007. Jack has a few petabytes of logs to enter and then I’ll lose my claim! :wink:

Glyn, has your email address changed? Can you mail me at mm0fmf AT hotmail DOT com (do the obvious)

Tom, what have you started? This could result in people activating obscure bands/modes simply to be top of the list. I mean, we’ll see people claiming top activator for CLOVER on 47GHz next!

Andy
MM0FMF

Tom, what have you started?

I just wondered this morning if I could make myself top of any table using the Database filters. Managed one, not too clever out of over forty-four thousand!

Right, off to do a VLF SSTV activation…

Tom

In reply to M1EYP:

Once I get the Linear Amp for the 817 built I ws hoping to do SSTV from some of the local ‘lower’ summits. Just need to haul the laptop and 7Ah batt up the hill plus the usual kit.

Glyn

In reply to GM4CFS:
70cms AM looks a good bet for 2007:-) anyone suggest a frequency?

Roger G4OWG

In reply to M1EYP

I believe a politician once said, “There are lies, damned lies and statistics”, if it was a politician, they should know.

Don G0NES

In reply to G0NES:

I believe a politician

I always thought it was Mark Twain but apparently it was Benjamin Disreali who first said and Mark Twain made it popular.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4OWG:

70.260 was always the traditional calling frequency - taken over by the FM mobile calling frequency. Time it was reinstated. Now where is that old Pye Vanguard - the AM25B version with the valves in the receive side as well as the transmit side?

73, Gerald

In reply to MM0FMF:

Thanks Andy, must obtain a book of quotations! trust you are well.

Regards

Don - G0NES

In reply to G4OIG:

The current bandplan, as published in the January 2007 RadCom, shows 70.260 as the AM/FM calling channel, and 70.450 as the FM calling channel. However, given the level of activity on 4m around here, even in contests, I doubt you’ll find anybody to work anyway!! I would love to be proved wrong though …

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G4OIG:
70cms - 433MHz Gerald - can be done with an 817 so no extra weight in rucksack :-).

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

Hi Roger,

That’s no challenge - I already head the 2007 70cms SSB and CW tables for England and will be taking 70cms SSB out with me more regularly.

I think 2.3GHz is the way to go. Perhaps I can borrow a transverter from my friend Dave if he still has it and time my activation to coincide with a UHF contest and operate from a summit near to a known contest station… hmmm the antenna would only need to be a double quad… got me thinking!

73, Gerald

P.S. I’d like to see anyone get a Pye Vanguiard AM25B and car battery in a rucksack and move more than a few hundred metres. I swear my car suspension used to rise when I took the kit out of the boot! Having said that I used to carry a 34AH mini battery around with me portable to run the 10GHz WBFM kit, including up SP-001.

My favourite statistics statement is that as near as damn it, 85% of statistics are made up on the spot (by the person quoting them). Don’t believe me - listen to any politician. However I find that the figure I quote changes every time I do so, but then so do those from the politicians - so what’s new??

Also I am going to have to plead guilty to SOTA database manipulation - Oh dear! I am afraid that I only log S2S QSOs in my chaser log. That’s because one of my personal targets is in time to log 1000 S2S chaser points. At current rate of knots, I should get there around 2015, probably about 15 years before I get to MG. But so what, this is all supposed to be fun.
jim g0cqk

At this very moment in time, I can claim to be the top G chaser on 10GHz!

Woo hoo!

Tom M1EYP

The Database also tells us that Jimmy was responsible for the 200th activation of Shining Tor G/SP-004 yesterday. I thought he was struggling on 7MHz SSB after 3 contacts - but he obviously just wanted me to get a few QSOs on CW in order that I - and not him, claimed the 199th! Sneaky little so-and-so…