Database failure

In reply to G0VOF:

In reply to GW7AAV:

progress is being made at last.

Still a pretty poor show from the ISP. If this was a commercial enterprise SOTA would have sued the pants of them for being down so long.

I really don’t understand this DNS server taking 24 to 48 hours to propagate over the Interweb excuse either. When I purchased the URLs for my website and my blog I found one was up running and searchable in 20 minutes and the other took about 24 hours. Seriously weird as the URLs were purchased from the same registrar and the two sites are with the same provider. I think it is one of those things IT bods say to buy them time to fix what they messed up.

In reply to GW7AAV:

I too fell victim to a “server move” a few years ago, but my site was back up & running much quicker than has been the case here.

The thing with DNS servers is that each internet user will use a particular DNS which is usually the one specified by your ISP. While the compnay that hosts a website may well update their DNS straight away, it can take up to 24 hours to propagate around the world, as not all the worlds DNS servers are updated as rapidly.

Your site may well be visible to you, but not to others whos browser will look at a different DNS server. Some are updated say every 15 minutes, others every hour, some every 3 hours & some even longer, but not usually more than 24 hours these days.

I am not entirely sure how the SOTA website & database are hosted, or how much is paid for the service, but if the MT are looking for a change of web host I can certainly recommend the one I use.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to GW7AAV:

I really don’t understand this DNS server taking 24 to 48 hours to propagate
over the Interweb excuse either. When I purchased the URLs for my website and
my blog I found one was up running and searchable in 20 minutes and the other
took about 24 hours.

Here’s a plainly worded explanation of why it takes no time and quite a long time to update a DNS entry.

http://www.jabwebsolutions.co.uk/support/knowledgebase/view/64/why-does-a-change-to-my-dns-take-so-long-to-appear.html

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G0VOF:

According to the error message shown, it looks more like a IIS problem than a DNS problem.

Norby

www.sota.org.uk and also SPOTLITE is working again … i hope the database will follow soon!!

vy73 de martin, oe5reo

In reply to OE5REO:

Database seems to be up now, but the links at the top don’t work?

Hi Karl,

The database is still under construction here.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:
The database page has just appeared here in the last few minutes but with no access to the data yet. Try ctrl+F5.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Hi Brian It don`t work for me 73 Geoff G6MZX

In reply to G6MZX:
ctl/F5 brings up the first page here - but no access to the data.

http://database.sota.org.uk/

the main page is now working, but it’s not possible to click on the links!! looks promising!!

In reply to OE5REO:
One has to have patience. AAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

Perhaps if we all keep refreshing the page as fast as we can over and over again we can beat the server into submission and it will all start working again!

:slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Perhaps if we all keep refreshing the page as fast as we can over and
over again we can beat the server into submission and it will all
start working again!

I favour beating the server provider into submission by smacking whom ever cocked up the switch-over with a copy of “Cisco Networking for Dummies”.

I just want to upload the logs from my holidays so I can plan the next one and no darling I am not going to give up chasing SOTA and decorate the lounge in protest.

In reply to GW7AAV:

In reply to MM0FMF:

Perhaps if we all keep refreshing the page as fast as we can over
and
over again we can beat the server into submission and it will all
start working again!

Interesting. When I had a play late evening yesterday, the ‘website’ was fully functional again, though the database was not. Now the website is back to the ‘Under Construction’ message.

Mike G4BLH

In reply to G4BLH:
Website working fine here Mike.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:
And here…

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4OWG:

Must have been a 'cache’problem. After forcing three page refreshes, it’s ok here now. Thanks Roger.

In reply to G4BLH:
At my QTH the page is working, well at least the starting picture, without any other functionality (no database and other data yet).

73, Milos S57D

In reply to G4BLH:
Still not possible to access the function keys on the database site here yet.
I know this must have been a troublesome week for those responsible for the system. No hurry for me. Glad it was a backup of chaser logs.

73 de LA1KHA Kjell