CQ WW SSB contest will jam 20M & 15M Phone bands this weekend

Not so everywhere.
30m is a most useful voice band here in VK & other southern hemisphere jurisdictions!

End of day give it a go see what i can work and listen out for those DXCCā€™s am after especially if i can catch them as they fire up before the pile ups some times works as with the VP2ETE had quick chat with him and then it started the pile up LOL.

But been good day for DX and Sota on most of the bands.

Be funny if it all crashed over the weekend with a major flare

Karl

I donā€™t, I know them, and I understand your point. However, thatā€™s not really what Iā€™m getting at. The IARU might not consider it ā€œantisocialā€, but I bet the phone-only operators would if every 100Hz from 14000kHz to 14350kHz had a loud CW station on it!

[quote=ā€œM1EYP, post:23, topic:11817ā€]
The IARU might not consider it ā€œantisocialā€, but I bet the phone-only operators would if every 100Hz from 14000kHz to 14350kHz had a loud CW station on it!
[/quote]ā€¦well, [14000 to 14125] and [14300 to 14350] are off-limits to SSB contest traffic anyway, so it would just be the middle part which would be of interest to the phone ops, which works out to 50% of the band. If we give the CW guys 200Hz to do their thing, and the SSB boys 2kHz, that works out to ten times as many CW QSOs could be made in the non-SSB band sections as the phone guys could accomplish in their section at any given moment. So, if the CW ops were to take over the SSB band section then, yes: that would be antisocial.

But in the Grand Scheme of Things, who really cares one way or the other; itā€™s just a few geeky hobbyists playing radio games in the tatty little scraps of bands theyā€™ve been allocated? And good Lord above, Iā€™m one of 'emā€¦ :worried:

1 Like

Actually, I think it is people like the SSTV enthusiasts that will have the most to complain about!

Brian

Hi Rob,

That is the theory at least, but CQWW SSB is one of the contests notorious for stations operating throughout the phone allocations & beyond, including really ā€œout of bandā€. Whilst you may well be operating a responsible contest station, others may not & I wager that somebody somewhere will be calling CQ Contest on 14.350MHz USB or even higher, even after being told they are out of band!

I must admit, before I finally got comfortable with CW I really resented these big weekend phone contests, but now i am far more relaxed about them. Likewise the big weekend CW contests, which although they can make activating with low power quite challenging, they can be used by ā€œnon-contestersā€ to improve their skills.
Having the odd dabble in contests certainly helped me along the way.
I have not taken part in a contest with QTCā€™s yet, but having listened to a CW contest where they were exchanged I am no longer terrified by the thought.

Activating or chasing SOTA is always going to be difficult during big contests, but donā€™t just switch off. There will be activators who need chasers, & chasers who need activators, donā€™t abandon each other due to a bit of QRM :wink:

There are always the WARC bands + VHF up, even though they may be busier than normal.

Best of luck to all HF phone activators & chasers this weekend, & also to the responsible contest stations.

Thanks & 73,

Mark G0VOF

Mark, I must say Iā€™ve never heard SSB contest traffic below 14100 in the 20m band; but 40m is pretty bad, with phone traffic down to 7030; and 160m, with phone traffic down to 1800 in contests, is the worst example I can think of. But then, Iā€™m pretty much a beginner, having been first licensed in 2007 after a half-lifetime of dabbling in SWL, so Iā€™ll bow to the greater knowledge and experience of others hereā€¦

ā€¦canā€™t manage those at all, with my problems with recognizing characters and all! Itā€™s a shame, since WAE is a nice contest.

Anyway, Iā€™ll wish all the SOTA people luck with making contacts on the crowded bands this weekend - may the force be with you :stars:

Like with any contest weekend just have to take the rough with the smooth work what you can and a welcome relief when monday arrives again. Tend to take advantage of contests to find strange and rare places and worked many a rare DX because of them and IOTAs too.

Tip is never switch off have flick around see what you can hear good thing with all bands being open will be bit more spread out ( He hopes LOL)

Hang on ainā€™t the following weekend all WW CW contest

karl

That will be the last weekend in November. The CQ SSB and the CQ CW are a month apart.

P.S. Your most recent posting had no line breaks. I had to scroll horizontally to read it!

Walt

Thatā€™s probably caused by selecting text and (presumably accidentally) clicking the ā€œindent preformattedā€ function circled below:

it is a function
of no use at all except
when typing in code

73, Rick M0LEP

It also comes if you type your message correctly as we old-school types were taught with indentations at the start of a paragraph. Itā€™s both a nice and annoying feature of the software in use.

Annoying when it applies itself where itā€™s not wanted; something quite a lot of abbreviated mark-ups tend to do. It does take a bit of effort to trigger, though, as it requires four or more leading spaces before it jumps in. Still, at least it shows up in the preview, and is amenable to editingā€¦