CQ Colorado

I see a new association on the list. My joy is too great to contain.
Congratulations Steve!

Hi Stuart,

VE1 is a new association on the list as well.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:
And congratulations Jeff too! Yeahhhh!
Do you think this SOTA thing might catch on?
Stu

Hi Stuart,

I think lots more countries will set up their own associations in the future.

Congratulations Steve and Jeff on setting up your own associations.

I hope to see some activations in these associations soon.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to KI6J:
Well done to Steve and Jeff. You told me in March that this was the moment that will make SOTA in USA “go viral”, Stuart. I look forward to Steve, Peanut and Rooster on SOTA activations appearing on You Tube and getting lots of viewings.

The notes to the W0 ARM rules making interesting reading. The scale of the mountains is quite something. I imagine we’ll be amazed by the tenacity of a W0 activator who scores 13 points for a summit [ski lift, ski-touring and climb]? 14000 feet for 10 points and 6000 feet for a single point. The latter ought to stop ripe comments about Caer Caradoc G/WB-006!
Is W6/SN-001 Mount Whitney the highest peak in SOTA at present? It’s a few feet higher than W0/SR-001 Mount Elbert.

I was speaking with Joe Bushell VE1CJB on Cape Breton island on 20m this week who enjoys hill-topping and liked the idea of SOTA. Neither of us knew about this development. Now he can activate the 18 summits on the island!

David 2E0DAI

In reply to 2E0DAI:

Mont Blanc F/AB-001 - 15771ft
I think is the Highest in SOTA. Mount Whitney will be the highest of the North American SOTA’s so far… unless someone launches SOTA Alaska :wink:

Andrew
K1YMI / GM1YMI

Steve/wG0AT

Well done for compiling the W0 ARM. Will look forward to hearing you activate W0/FR-063.

Robert
G0PEB

In reply to 2E0DAI:

tenacity of a W0 activator who scores 13 points for a summit [ski
lift, ski-touring and climb]? 14000 feet for 10 points and 6000 feet
for a single point. The latter ought to stop ripe comments about Caer
Caradoc G/WB-006!

Quick self education from Wiki

tells that the ascent is about 4000 ft or about 1200 m. I do not know what are the other difficulties on the route, if the are any glaciers and so on. So it all depends. F/AB-001 is a very popular (some people think too popular) destination for “alpine tourisme”. Anyway the 1000 - 1500 m ascent is quite normal at Alps even at lower altitudes. The air at 4000 m is of course already quite thin everywhere on this planet. For Mount Whitney the ascent seems to be about 6100 ft or 1900 m.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to M3EYP:

Jimmy …The Goats are talking about heading up to their favorite mountain - Mt Herman FR-063 for their first activation. Possibly for the May 1&2 event will keep you advised. Sample QSL:
http://picasaweb.google.com/qrp.wg0at/QSL?#5460370795027534818

73, Steve …wGØAT/R&P

In reply to F5VGL:
"The air at 4000 m is of course already quite thin everywhere on this planet."
You’ve got that right, Jaakko!
Mt. Whitney is the highest point in the US, excluding Alaska’s high mountains. The climb from trailhead is 5600 ft (14,500-8,900) in 11 miles, and it, too, has become a “too popular” destination. Not only is there a lottery for limited access permits, but a rather large fee for the permit too!
Sometimes, the horizontal distance to a summit is more of a challenge than the vertical.
I am surprised Mont Blanc has not seen a SOTA activation.
Hi David. Are you back to your marathon training yet?

In reply to WG0AT:
Brilliant QSL card Steve! Hope to work you on a summit soon.

Roger MW0IDX