Constant errors when entering activation qso data

I’ve tried two different browsers but I keep getting errors, forcing me to restart the entry process every 2 qso’s. Error info display shown below.

Barry N1EU

Server Error in ‘/’ Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.      
         Description: An unhandled exception occurred during 

the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace
for more information about the error and where it originated in the
code.
Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Source Error:
An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current
web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the
exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 
                  [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

SOTA.AddActivation2.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\SOTA\SOTADATABASE\AddActivation2.aspx.cs:39
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +71
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3178

I never fail to be surprised at the level of error reporting returned by the SOTA database scripts when an error occurs, right down to informing the hapless user exactly which script failed at which line, where it is to be found on the server, and so on.

This is surely a security loophole: is there no way to suppress these messages to the browser, in order to give the over-curious liitle or no chance of discovering the structure of the application, and therefore much less chance for hackers to get a toe-in? In PHP for instance (which is what the SMP uses) one has several options, from reporting all errors in the browser (the choice for a development machine), reporting some errors, to no errors reported at all (production machine), while in each case all errors are logged to a file on the server.

Rob

1 Like

I think I’m experiencing a ridiculously quick login timeout (perhaps 1 minute) that may explain the errors. Is this login timeout something I can control or is it on the SOTAdata server?

Barry N1EU

Barry,
I don’t have access to the code used, but can I suggest you try from another PC and see if you get the same problems. If this was a program problem, we would all be getting it I think.

If you can enter via SOTA Database from a different PC, then I’d go back to the first and clear all web browser caches.

By the way which two web browsers are giving you this problem?

73 Ed.

This is the subject of another thread here: Log on problem

Rob

Having the same problem here on multiple computers. When I try to log a new contact it constantly brings me back to the log on screen.

Walt NE4TN

I’m getting the same here now, whether trying to log activator or chaser contacts - the other thread Rob pointed to is reporting on this. Guess we’ll have to wait until it gets fixed.
Ed.