Congratulations to KB1TBW and KB1JFQ

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am pleased to announce two milestones in the W1 Section of SOTA:

First off, KB1TBW-Doug has achieved more then 100 activator points, all of which were within the W1 area. I believe Doug is only the second US ham to reach such a milestone. Hats off to Doug and keep up the good work! We are all looking forward to you reaching 500 points!

Secondly I would like to congratulate KB1JFQ, Chuck on beating the odds and surviving the mythical Black Dog of the Hanging Hills to achieve the Master of The Black Dog Award. Chuck is the first person to apply for the award, and I am thrilled to be able to convey the first W1 MBD certificate to him.

From the W1 Manual:

2.8.6 Master of the Black Dog (MBD)
To be eligible for the Master of the Black Dog Certificate, an activator must have entered valid activation logs from each and every summit in the Hanging Hills Region and must have survived all of the activations.

The Black Dog of the Hanging Hills is a supernatural hound that appears in Hanging Hills folklore. Folklore holds that the spirit has haunted the region since the early 1800s and manifests itself as a small black dog, often gregarious in nature, who leaves no footprints and makes no sound. According to legend, to see the Black Dog the first time results in joy while a second sighting results in misfortune. Seeing the Black Dog a third time is said to be a death omen.
One of the earliest accounts of the Black Dog was published in the Connecticut Quarterly, (April-June, 1898) by New York geologist W.H.C. Pynchon. According to Pynchon, in February 1891 he and geologist Herbert Marshall of the United States Geological Survey were conducting geologic research in the Hanging Hills when they saw The Dog. Pynchon had seen The Dog once before. Marshall, who had seen The Dog twice, scoffed at the legend. Shortly after the two of them saw The Dog, Marshall slipped on the ice atop one of the cliffs and plunged to his death. His body was later recovered by authorities.

73 to all,
Tom Tumino, N2YTF
SOTA W1 Manager

Congratulations Doug for the first SOTA activator in W1 to achieve 100 activator points and congratulations Chuck on achieving the Black Dog Certificate.

There are more than 2 SOTA activators in the USA that have 100+ activator points.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to N2YTF:

Well done to Doug (and Chuck). You guys are the among SOTA pioneers in North America and each step up the ladder is a great achievement. I can recall being in the same position here in the UK, it’s mighty exciting. Every new summit activated is another “first” and another adventure for SOTA NA.

Richard
G3CWI