Conditions on 40m

Maybe it is just my QTH, but over the past 48 hours conditions on 40m have been the worst I have know for a long time.

Background noise has been steady at S5 and SOTA stations in HB9, DL and F have been totally inaudible or weak and fluttery. French stations are normally around 579 here. On the positive side I have been hearing G stations on 40 m around noon that are normally inaudible.

About one hour ago the background noise dropped to zero on my meter and weak signals from across EU are now audible. Hopefully a recovery has started.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Roy G4SSH

In reply to G4SSH:

Pretty much the same here Roy. I’m just hoping that conditions generally improve for WPX!

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G4SSH:

Hi Roy,

Your observations seem to correlate well with the current space weather

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/

Sodankyla here in OH would look more quiet though

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to G4SSH:
Hi Roy
Maybe its just peculiar skip distance from here, but Phil OBK is always loud here (consistent s9 to 20 over) but sri to say I never hear you above s3 - this is weird cos I know you get out extremely well!!

CU in the pileups …

73 de CRIS
GM4FAM

In reply to G4SSH:

Same in North East Wales Roy, absolutely abysmal on 40m and 60m, it’s the worst I have seen it in a year.
I went out onto NW-062 in the hope of working a few EU stations but again HF was poor on ssb but managed a good few on 7.032cw, long live the code, hi.

73 Mike