CommRadio CTX-10 QRP Transceiver

Anyone had experience of this radio or its’ predecessor? Looks like a good fit for QRP SOTA!

CTX-10 Preliminary Specifications

Transmit Bands:		80, 60, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10 meters 
RF Power Output:	1, 5 or 10 Watts
Receive Coverage:  	150 kHz - 30 MHz
Receive Modes:  	USB/LSB/CW/AM
Receive Bandwidths:	AM 5/7.5/15 kHz
			SSB 1.8/2.2/2.6 kHz
			CW 0.5/1/1.8/2.2/2.6 kHz
Receive Auto Bandwidths:AM 5/7.5/15 kHz
			SSB 1.8/2.6 kHz
			CW  1/0.5 kHz
Preselectors:		.15-.54, .54-1.71, 1.7-4, 4-7.5, 7.5-14.5, 14.5-21, 21-30.0 MHz    
Tuning Resolution:	1MHz, 100, 10, 1 kHz, 100, 10 Hz.
Sensitivity MDS:	-135 dBm ( 500 Hz CW)
Sensitivity SSB:	-110 dBm (2600 Hz SSB)
Audio System:		8 Ohm 0.8 watts to
			1.2x1.6" Internal Speaker
			or External Speaker jack
AGC Attack Time:	Slow/Medium/Fast
Antenna Input:		BNC 50 Ohm
Display Types:		OLED 64x128 1.5" diagonal
DC Power Jack:		12-18 VDC (5-20 VDC usable)  2.5 x 5mm
DC Power:		2.0 Amps @12VDC
Batteries:		3 #18650  Li-ion 2.6 Ah
USB Mini-B 2.0 Jack:	I-Q data & radio control
			Windows spectrum scope
ESD Protection:		ESD diodes at antenna, power jacks, 
			USB port, keys and knobs.
Physical:		5.61 x 1.55 x 6" 2 lbs.

not encouraged by the comments over on this thread on eHam, but I guess we’ll have to wait for the first reviews

I suspect the Elad FDM-Duo is a lot more radio for about the same money, and is a full direct sampling SDR 160-6M

73, Barry N1EU

Why on earth did they create a battery powered radio with connectors on the back?

Shouldn’t a portable radio have connectors located in such a way as to make operation comfortable even without a table?

Ideally for easy packing and protection I would think only one surface of the radio should have all controls and connectors.

Having controls on the front and connectors 180 degrees away on the rear is a bad design in my humble opinion.

Tom,N2YTF

1 Like

The FT-817 and MTR radios have connectors on the back. No big deal IMHO.

At least the 817 gives you the opportunity to operate with an antenna connected to the front of the rig (although its thought that front connector has extra cpu noise).

It would have been great had the ctx-10 had a front antenna connector at least.

Tom

Yes, then the plug and lead or antenna becomes a right ruddy nuisance when you want to get to the adjacent controls!

1 Like

They could have gone the route of the kx3 and put connectors on the side so the screen could face up. That too would have been better than the back. I just don’t understand what advantage there is for a portable rig to have connectors opposite comtrols-it seems like a clear and unnecessary negative. Is there some advantage? There are lots of advantages to have the connnectors on other surfaces…
Tom

1 Like

It looks like it’s not meant for outdoors, but for a hotel room or maybe a caravan. It even has the huge feet, it’s obviously a table radio. The mic connector on the back is really annoying even in that situation.

radio still isn’t shipping yet

I’m struggling to see any disadvantage! It isn’t as if you are obligated to use the one at the back if you don’t want to, but using the one at the back means that you don’t have a plug and feeder with two buttons and a rotary control only an inch away, and having the two available gives you a choice and also the opportunity to have two seperate antennas connected at the same time so that you can rapidly change between say an HF and a VHF antenna for more rapid QSYs.

On this rig there are only rear connectors, there is no choice.

If you are looking at the front of the rig while holding the mic I guess you are flexing the mic wire perhaps a lot. It would be less if the mic connector was on the side or the front. Also you really cant use a rig mounted vertical comfortably on a rig with only a rear connector.

If you are outdoors and you don’t have a park bench and table to sit at, and you tilt up the radio for a better look at the screen you may stress the coax connector against the table.

For a rig to use on a summit I think there are many disadvantages to being forced to use all rear connectors as is the case on this rig, and if its not a rig for summits/portable then its a bit odd that it has internal lithium cells. I do love the idea of an internal tuner though.

IMHO nobody is going to buy this rig no matter where the connectors are at the special price of $1000 (or the regular price of $1200) because it simply won’t compete with the Elecraft KX2/KX3.

1 Like

Sorry if I come over as argumentative, but I disagree, I have used both my FT817 and FT857 with a half wave mobile 2m whip in the rear connector with a right angle adaptor. I have also used a Moonraker HF multiband SPX-100 mobile whip the same way but frankly its little more than a dummy load on the lower bands!

KX2 “Shack in a box” package deal, radio, ATU and more for US$1192.6 seems a far better option to me.

Elecraft is working on an HF vertical that is designed to be mounted to the rig. They have gone through a few prototype designs, so it isn’t for sale yet. Here is the FAQ page for one of the revisions.

https://va2ssdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/elecraft-ax1-faq-rev-f.pdf

wunder

I hate the front socket on the FT817! I usually use a BNC adapter on the rear socket :smile:

I do prefer the ‘trail friendly’ format though, I have to admit that the FT817 isn’t so good when operating out of doors - even the aftermarket legs and stands don’t make much of an improvement.

This is a rig put together for camping -

73, Colin

1 Like

An Elecraft antenna, I can see the glowing reports already…

But he told me right then when the top popped open
There was nothin’ his antenna won’t do
With the oil of Afro-dytee
An’ the dust of the Grand Wazoo
He said:
"You might not believe this, little fella, but it’ll work DX in P5-land too!

(with apologies to the late F. Zappa Esq.)

2 Likes

It’s a bit far removed from the ‘pocket HF yagi’ that Wayne said that he would like to invent!

I think I’d rather home brew one than pay $$$ just for a bit of bling and Elecraft branding.

There are already other antennas around - the Diamond RHM-8B is also a rig mounted HF vertical. (7-52MHz)

http://hamradiostore.co.uk/diamond-rhm-8b.html

It works … but not as well as I would like it to!

The infamous MFJ makes similar products, single band with base loading and telescopic whip. Tried the 20M version and it receives fine - but in transmit it is what it is, a highly shortened vertical and performs as such. The Elecraft will likely be better made - but size limitations equally apply. I do like the anti-rotation ‘clip’ though and it shows how Elecraft thinks about practical usage.