Colin, M1BUU - Mountain Goat

Seems the only person that cannot see what all the fuss is about, is Colin himself! Best amateur radio story for many a year. Nobody saw it coming and nobody else had even thought of it - brilliant!

4 Likes

Hi Colin,

I was going to say that I’ve done that, but then I realised this thread is not about having the bought same multi-meter :wink:

Seriously Colin, that is one hell of a way to achieve Mountain Goat & to be honest, typical of you. I have always been impressed with your kit building & homebrew both of which are aspects of Amateur Radio that I sadly never had the time to explore.

You have taken things to a whole new level!

Congratulations & well done on a truly unique achievement!

Very Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

1 Like

As announced in a parallel SOTA thread, the press got wind of this great story: http://www.arrl.org/news/uk-ham-does-summits-on-the-air-activation-the-hard-way :relaxed:

Congratulations on Your achievemts Collin.
Hard to beet this one.

73 de LA1KHA Kjell

1 Like

The ARRL also posted an article on this in their Facebook news.

Another thing they posted was that they are going to sponsor an AM activity weekend on 1-3 April this year. that’s our annual SOTA AM weekend. Good to have the ARRL supporting our activity. :slight_smile:

VK1DA/VK2UH

Just read this article in the latest ARRL newsletter to members:

“Summits on the Air Activation the Hard Way: A radio amateur in the UK, Colin Evans, M1BUU, attained Summits on the Air (SOTA) Mountain Goat status on January 28 on the summit of Whernside, the highest peak in Yorkshire, but he took an unusual approach by waiting until after he reached the summit to construct his station equipment. He had taken along a 20-meter QRPme RockMite kit, a homebrewed key kit, a vertical antenna kit, and a gas-powered soldering iron. Conditions were not exactly ideal. Sheltering from wind, rain, and snow in a small tent, Evans was able to constructed the RockMite, key, and antenna in less than 4 hours. Better yet, his first contact with the 250 mW RockMite was with N1EU near Albany, New York, more than 3,000 miles away. “There’s a good chance that if you work me, I’ll be using a rig that I’ve built myself,” Evans said on his QRZ.com profile. He typically operates QRP and has been involved in the SOTA program since 2004.”

Great publicity for the SOTA programme and well earned recognition of the effort made.

Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

Brilliant! Carry the components up, build the radio and operate… qualify the summit and as MG… what a story!

Congratulations!

1 Like
9 Likes

Pretty awesome and hard to beat on every front!! Well done.

Paul

Thanks Paul.

I suffered a Windows 10 related computer failure at the start of the year so I haven’t had a working PC for quite a while. I stumbled upon my recovery disks a couple of weeks ago so I was able to replace the hard drive in the machine and put Windows 7 back on. Having a working Windows 7 machine enabled me to finally edit the video.

In a way, I wish that someone else could have done the photos/video, it certainly added a lot more to the workload.

73, Colin

Presumably in a tent on a summit :smile:

You did a great job with video and photos on top of everything else, thank you for sharing it!

Adrian
G4AZS

1 Like