Cheap Tent/Shelter from Tesco

I was thinking about what I would do with the gear in a rainstorm after yesterday’s activation and I had an idea. I noticed that Tesco are selling (in their larger stores) a cheap 2 man, single skin dome tent weighing a shade over 2kg for £7.97. Is it any good I thought?

So I went and got one and, egged on by my 5 year old daughter, put it up in the garden yesterday afternoon just before the storm. The pair of us actually sat in it during very heavy rain but then beat a hasty retreat indoors when we realized lightening was also present.

So the verdict… very quick to erect and dry as a bone… even though I would guess the hydrostatic head of the material is not much more than 1500mm, it worked fine. Had the rain been wind driven, maybe there would have been a little light spray (and maybe the odd drop though the roof vent in wind)… but it would keep the worst off.

So it’s a keeper and is the perfect addition to my comfy stool to enhance the “shandy drinking, southern softy” approach to activations as I do not have access to the notorious Bury Black Pudding. :slight_smile:

73 Marc GØAZS

In reply to G0AZS:

So it’s a keeper and is the perfect addition to my comfy stool to
enhance the “shandy drinking, southern softy” approach to
activations as I do not have access to the notorious Bury Black
Pudding. :slight_smile:

Yer big Southern Softy! :slight_smile:

When it rains the 817 goes in a thick plastic bag and I go into some Goretex and use my waterproof paper. I might upgrade to some Paramo gear though.

I do take one small item of comfort with me, a Tesco gardener’s knealing pad to sit on. Cost about 80p.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G0AZS:

So it’s a keeper and is the perfect addition to my comfy stool to
enhance the “shandy drinking, southern softy” approach to
activations as I do not have access to the notorious Bury Black
Pudding. :slight_smile:

73 Marc GØAZS

Just the portable loo, jacuzzi, fridge, cooker and waitress to go then, eh?:slight_smile:

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to 2E0HJD:

And Black pudding steamer !

…but then I could dispense with the tent! :slight_smile:

…and BTW… dont you fry it?

In reply to G0AZS:

Mark, just ignore Mick - he’s the one that got me to abandon my foot spa and toasted sandwich maker… my activations haven’t been the same since!
LOL

73, Gerald

Marc, try here http://www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/ you can order on line or by telephone and pay by credit card.

Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:
…but worried about how to cook it though. I fear that Mick will just tell me to eat it raw!

73 Marc GØAZS

In reply to G0AZS:

It has already been cooked when you buy it from the butchers, so you can eat it cold, as is, though the lumps of fat can be a tad chewy:-)

In reply to GW0DSP:
Ah well there you go… just shows that I know nothing and would not be worthy :slight_smile:
73 Marc GØAZS

In reply to G0AZS:

…there again, you could always sample the delights of white pudding.

In reply to MM0FMF:
Andy,
Even though money is tight with me at the mo, I couldnt resist the offers Paramo have at the minute.

I got Taiga fleece, waterproof 3/4 length loadsa pockets, and nice and cozy, go read the website for the full low down, for standard price of £130 but you get the Fuera Windproof Jacket worth £70 free !! Then finally a Paramo Katmai longsleeve shirt for £50 and get the shortsleeved version worth £40 free !!
Couldnt beleive it, thought that was great value for money, all part of the Paramo 15th birthday celebrations.

All the Paramo dealers are running the offer, and yesterday gave the longsleeve Katmai a run out on Pen-Y-Ghent, with a lowe alpine lite base layer that was it and it worked a treat, cool and wicking, but kept the wind out on the summit. Sorry to hijack the thread, but to bring it back round, I use a Shakespear fishing shelter for really bad weather activations…ok ok ok Mick HJD, I havent done many activations in a while, but when I do… The shakespear is a little heavier at 5kg but you can stand up in it, and it has a window, and is erected in 3 mins.

Cheers all
Lee MØLMP

In reply to GW7AAV:
here here nothing like a gud owd Black Pudding have you seen my web site m0sgb ive got that web site on it Steve
gud owd puddings yum yum yummmmmmmmyyyyy
Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB:

Chadwicks of Bury mmmmmmm