Cheap FM hand-helds

I see the 2-band version (2m and 70cm) of the Wouxun hand-held transceiver has been further reduced in price to GBP 75, including shipping. This brings it into line with the price of the 4m mono-band version. The model number of the dual bander is KG-UVD1P. You can order it via www.euroradiosales.com or direct from Hong Kong through eBay, where they throw in a few accessories at no additional cost.

May be worth considering for short FM-only activations. It saves having to lug a heavy FT-817 and batteries up the hill! I have used the 4m version at 5 watts from the internal Li-ion battery for over 90 minutes, 50% transmit, without flattening the battery.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

But Walt, the UVD1P doesn’t have D-Star.

:wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3NYY:
It saves having to lug a heavy FT-817 and batteries up the hill!

Walt (G3NYY)

An FT-817 is like carrying a butterfly compared with an FT-857 and 13 Ah battery! It (the 817) weighs less than my waterbottle!

Anyway, that aside, how does this handheld cope with nearby transmitters, is it robust or does it go deaf? It sounds an attractive proposition if its up to the job.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

A valid point Brian. Steve GW7AAV has bought a short metric shedload of the UVD1Ps. Hopefully he’ll have enough use experience now to answer that question.

Have you ever thought of using H20 not D20 in the water bottle? :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

But Walt, the UVD1P doesn’t have D-Star.

RASP! …

73 de Wlat

In reply to G8ADD:

An FT-817 is like carrying a butterfly compared with an FT-857 and 13 Ah
battery!

Tell that to 'ERP. He even weighs his microphone before putting it in his rucksack!
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G8ADD:

Have you ever thought of using H20 not D20 in the water bottle? :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

Going up it feels like T2O, and being a gentleman I carry the XYLs, too - good job its much lighter coming down, of course!

I still reckon the rope and hardware for a winter gully in Scotland is a lot heavier than SOTA gear, unless I ever get hold of the 12-volt PSU for my TS-520S!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3NYY:
Hi Walt

Glad to see that you had fun with the 4m version of the Wouxun. I was so impressed with mine that I ended up buying a Wouxun KG-UVD 1P. I use it for all the SOTA Summits as a ‘talk on the repeaters machine as I walk up and down the hill rig’. For this purpose its superb, plus the extras in the box are very good too.

Equally for filtering issues the receiver is excellent, very sensitive but does not let any noise in!!

I have tested this extensively, I work at the Former BBC Woofferton Transmitting site (Now Privatised). We send out 250,000 watts HF per transmitter (we have 10 in total, all AMC and DRM) and the thing sits in the workshop quite happily monitoring GB3VM and GB3VN all day with no break through or spurious emissions.

(If any club wants a visit just email me or my Father G4OYX QRZ.com for details)

So the Wouxun is a good little handy and I can highly recommend it, the only drawback is that programming the radio using the front controls is very difficult, it involves using menu numbers 21, 25 and 26 but once worked out it is quite simple. However if you need vast quantities of Alpha numeric tags for repeaters then the PC controlled software is afar better way of programming the radio!

Hope that helps

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to 2E0XTL:

So the Wouxun is a good little handy and I can highly recommend it,
the only drawback is that programming the radio using the front
controls is very difficult, it involves using menu numbers 21, 25 and
26 but once worked out it is quite simple. However if you need vast
quantities of Alpha numeric tags for repeaters then the PC controlled
software is afar better way of programming the radio!

Hi Matt!

It looks like the menu numbers on the 2m/70cm Wouxun are totally different from the 4m handy.

On the 4m one,

Menu 21 = set priority channel scan function
Menu 25 = set up PTT-ID Code
Menu 26 = set ANI ID CODE on transmit

I assume you were referring to the functions for setting up memory channels and giving them alpha-numeric names?

Yes, I’m very pleased with the 4m one and I have made some good contacts on it already. Hope to have a QSO with you on 4m soon … especially S2S!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY

Hi Walt

The programming menu functions are different for 2/70 version! And menu 21, 25 and 26 are the key functions for programming the Alpha Numeric tags when using repeaters etc on the 2/70 version.

With my 4m version I simply use it in VFO mode as on 4 there are no duplex repeaters, there is a parrot box on 70.4375 in Hertfordshire! Might be useful for beacon properties!

Matt

In reply to G3NYY:

Tell that to 'ERP. He even weighs his microphone before putting it in his rucksack!

And that’s not the only thing that Richard weighs Walt. Let’s just say my M & S ones weigh in considerably more than Richard’s equivalent piece of clothing!

As for the weight of the 817 or indeed the 857, they don’t compare to a Pye Cambridge and a 34AH car battery. Come on chaps, don’t be such wimps… or is your extra weight solely to be carried just above the belt?

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald,

In fairness, I think if a person is planning to walk 150 miles then it makes sense to minimise the amount of ballast carried!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Having once done a significant part of the South Western Coastal Footpath carrying backpacking gear, rope, harness and protection gear…I can only agree!:frowning:

Brian G8ADD